Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/16/2005 5:10:10 PM EDT
My wife may be able to keep her current job when she moves down here to FL and work from home.

Any tax bene's to working from home regarding home office, utilities, etc.?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:14:59 PM EDT
I've worked out of my house for two employers in a row. My accountant discouraged me from claiming the home office deduction. I would chat with your CPA and get their take on it.

In terms of gas, dry-cleaning, food, etc. one could save enough expense to make it worth while anyway.

JMO.

G
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:15:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Greywolf2112:
My wife may be able to keep her current job when she moves down here to FL and work from home.

the rules for home office deductions have become pretty strict.

My company reimburses me for phone and internet, so the home phone and internet is essentially free.

They also paid for the furnishings in the office.

I *could* try to deduct for the sq footage, but it would be an audit magnet and I'd fail the usage tests.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:24:20 PM EDT
Ding ding ding. Precisely what my accountant said, Nova.

G
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:25:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoVaGator:

Originally Posted By Greywolf2112:

the rules for home office deductions have become pretty strict.

My company reimburses me for phone and internet, so the home phone and internet is essentially free.

They also paid for the furnishings in the office.

I *could* try to deduct for the sq footage, but it would be an audit magnet and I'd fail the usage tests.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:25:36 PM EDT
Home office expenses are a red flag to the kgb irs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:26:25 PM EDT
How about not having to pay over $3 for a gallon of gas!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:28:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lippo:
How about not having to pay over $3 for a gallon of gas!

Already looking forward to that :)

I think our internet and phone will be paid for, not to mention her getting a fax machine and nice copy machine, as well as her kick-ass computer at work. And no business clothing, getting up at 0530 to get ready for work, etc.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:29:56 PM EDT
Same as the others. My CPA basically said that if my employer MADE me work from home
there might be a deduction, but if it was an OPTION I better just go on about my business.

I get to expense my phone and Internet connection, so I just count myself lucky and move on.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:33:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TexasSIG:
Same as the others. My CPA basically said that if my employer MADE me work from home
there might be a deduction, but if it was an OPTION I better just go on about my business.

That's a good point.....I could deduct and I'd have a air-tight case if I was audited....my co's nearest office is in Ft Worth. But I just don't want to expose everything else (other deductions, etc) to an audit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:33:55 PM EDT
i've worked from home over the net for about 8 or 9 years. Each year I seem to do less and less drive in to the office. I'm in IT and have all kinds of network connections and gear.

I do not expense any part of the house. CPA said no.

This option is open to many at my company. ONe thing I have found is that a lot of people who can telecommute in the end would rather be in the office. They need to get away from the house/kids/wife for part of the day. They need the office environment, gossip, change of daily scenery. And often find it hard to get down to whatever it is they do if they can sleep in a little or watch tV instead of work. It helps to like what you do in the first place to provide motivation. Also, employers tend to expect you to be a little more available and to work more hours. If you have offices in one timezone and work with others in another it also can be interesting because they sorta expect you to be available on their time (or you expect them to be available on your sched).

Highly recommended though if you fit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:36:58 PM EDT
Working from home is the shit.

No rush hour traffic. No one pinching your lunch out of the breakroom fridge. No cubicle driveby's.

I work in the IT deparment of a rather large financial institution. I live in AZ but the vast majority of the people I work with are scattered like dandelion seeds all over the North American Continent.

They don't care if my ass in planted in a chair in my office that is 40 miles away from my home or a chair in my home as long as I answer my phone.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:07:52 PM EDT
I've worked from home now for almost five years. I claim the home office deduction each year. No audits, no hassles. My home office and everything in it is strictly for work use. The nearest company office from me is over a thousand miles away.

BTW, the home office deduction is not tha big. It is really hardly worth my time to even take it. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:13:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sysop:
Working from home is the shit.

No rush hour traffic. No one pinching your lunch out of the breakroom fridge. No cubicle driveby's.

I work in the IT deparment of a rather large financial institution. I live in AZ but the vast majority of the people I work with are scattered like dandelion seeds all over the North American Continent.

They don't care if my ass in planted in a chair in my office that is 40 miles away from my home or a chair in my home as long as I answer my phone.

How do you change a toner cartridge from you house?
Top Top