Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2009 3:06:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2009 1:24:43 PM EST by sporter]
Bench 315 no spotter (as of today)

Body weight 265
height 6'3"
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:04:17 AM EST
315lbs for 3 (spotter standing by - no help on any of the reps)
195lbs
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:15:26 AM EST
Flat bench- 385 max.
No spotter, 3 reps at 335, above that weight I want a spotter for safety.

I weigh 255-260.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:45:40 AM EST
got 235 the other day

5'7"
155 lbs
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:51:18 AM EST
bout tree fitty
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:05:46 AM EST
6.5 pounds 5'8 200
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:08:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2009 6:08:17 AM EST by Joedan]
225lbs flat

5'10 145
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:27:58 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:51:38 AM EST
6'0 165lbs

I bench 210.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:05:06 AM EST
248.4 as of this morning
last bench workout was 405 for 3 sets of 6x
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 9:32:23 AM EST
6' 200lbs
28 years old
335 x 1 as of a couple months ago. I tried 350 last week but it wasn't happening.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 12:44:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By smaddox:
6' 200lbs
28 years old
335 x 1 as of a couple months ago. I tried 350 last week but it wasn't happening.

Bring your carbs up, you'll get it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:12:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2009 1:12:50 PM EST by streetstar]
225# x 26, 275# x 14

I have never maxxed out in my life

71" (5'11") –– 207 #
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:31:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2009 1:31:59 PM EST by tileguy1]
42 years old today, 160lbs, 5'9", rep at 190 near end of session, never maxed, no spotter or real desire to.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:31:30 PM EST
6ft 6in and around 215 : haven't maxed in a long time but can do 215 a few times. I had shoulder surgery so I don't push heavy weight anymore.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:50:15 PM EST
5' 11" (71")

180 lbs

flat bench - 220 - 5-6 reps

(never have done a 1 rep max)
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:50:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By tileguy1:
42 years old today, 160lbs, 5'9", rep at 190 near end of session, never maxed, no spotter or real desire to.

happy birthday
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:08:58 PM EST
5ft 8inches age 58 225 lbs
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:14:26 PM EST
405lbs 1 rep

5'7"
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:26:42 PM EST
385 2 reps

6'1"
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:51:06 PM EST
3 sets of 8 reps, using 95lbs dumb bells.

6'1" 220
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:57:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2009 6:00:50 PM EST by gdblair]
After being back at it for 3 months: 190 165/ 69", age 39

Where I left off : 240 175/69", age 35

I'm on my way back up ! Before I hit 41 I want be over 185 lbs and I'd like to bench 300 for once in my life.I've got 18 months.

ETA- 3 months ago: 120 @ 158/69" !

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:21:47 PM EST
Anyone ever compare what this calculator predicts vs. real world lifts?

Max Rep Calculator
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:43:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2009 6:44:08 PM EST by streetstar]
Originally Posted By Jerold:

Max Rep Calculator

i put in 225 x 26 and it spat back 738 (Ted Arcidi numbers from the 'ol days) 225 x "whatever" is a benchmark for NFL players and the strong guys routinely get over 30 –– which would put the theoretical max in the stratosphere

when i inpt 275 x 14 ––- it gave me a much more realistic number (431 or something) –– but i feel the 431 is way too much too ––- i might be able to get 350 with an Inzer shirt on
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 12:08:28 AM EST
300lb fatty benched 425x5
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 3:48:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2009 3:49:08 AM EST by coltaceguy]
Originally Posted By streetstar:

Max Rep Calculator

i put in 225 x 26 and it spat back 738 (Ted Arcidi numbers from the 'ol days) 225 x "whatever" is a benchmark for NFL players and the strong guys routinely get over 30 –– which would put the theoretical max in the stratosphere

when i inpt 275 x 14 ––- it gave me a much more realistic number (431 or something) –– but i feel the 431 is way too much too ––- i might be able to get 350 with an Inzer shirt on

I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit.

I can speak on 100% real world experience. My buddy is 271lbs, powerlifter, he did 225lbs for 21 reps 4 days prior to his event. In the event, he put up 655 shirted(Inzer 1 ply).

So if you can hit 225 for 26, you are one STRONNNNNNNNNNNNNG mother.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:55:27 AM EST
@ 6'2" 215lbs I benched 255x1

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 4:36:22 PM EST
265lbs wo spotter recently
5'9" 207 lbs
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 4:47:06 PM EST

Max Rep Calculator

I put in 225 for 38 cause some dude did that at the Olympia several years ago and it said the one rep max would be -7867 so If you bench 225 for 38 reps you are ultra weak.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:15:26 PM EST
My bro-in-law used to compete in powerlifting when he was younger and he'd tell me stories of these giants lifting ridiculous weights. Now before everyone gets their panties in a bunch... I understand Strong is Strong no matter what I am about to write....

These guys (powerlifters) who were lifting around 500lbs, I guess, were huge men (not really muscular looking, but strong). The thing that I noticed was that because these guys were so rotund, when they were benching they didn't have to go down too far since the rule is for the bar to touch the chest and then up again for a "full rep". Basically, they are only moving the weight maybe the upper third of a full range of motion compared to a leaner guy benching.

My question is... if a big and wide powerlifter who can lift 500lbs and only has to move it 6-8 inches to complete a rep, can he lift the same weight if he dieted down to get rid of most of the bulk so that he had to move the weight in a fuller range of motion like a normal/average person?

I ask this because I've seen guys at the gym who get caught up with ego and put on a weight that they obviously can't handle and then bench the weight only 2-3inches (not even halfway down) just so they can say the benched "fill in the blank" lbs. (usually its 225lbs).
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:21:08 PM EST
6' 5", 238#

150 pounds

I rarely weight train. I can only do about 25 pushups before I'm spent.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:44:30 PM EST
110lbs

6'1 190

oh thats repping with DBs I dont like maxs, its scary and I have no friends to spot me, lol. Can't get anyone to work out with me and I dont trust anyone to spot me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:48:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2009 6:50:39 PM EST by coltaceguy]
My bro-in-law used to compete in powerlifting when he was younger and he'd tell me stories of these giants lifting ridiculous weights. Now before everyone gets their panties in a bunch... I understand Strong is Strong no matter what I am about to write....

These guys (powerlifters) who were lifting around 500lbs, I guess, were huge men (not really muscular looking, but strong). The thing that I noticed was that because these guys were so rotund, when they were benching they didn't have to go down too far since the rule is for the bar to touch the chest and then up again for a "full rep". Basically, they are only moving the weight maybe the upper third of a full range of motion compared to a leaner guy benching.

My question is... if a big and wide powerlifter who can lift 500lbs and only has to move it 6-8 inches to complete a rep, can he lift the same weight if he dieted down to get rid of most of the bulk so that he had to move the weight in a fuller range of motion like a normal/average person?

I ask this because I've seen guys at the gym who get caught up with ego and put on a weight that they obviously can't handle and then bench the weight only 2-3inches (not even halfway down) just so they can say the benched "fill in the blank" lbs. (usually its 225lbs).

No they cannot move the same weight all dieted down.

But thats the point, powerlifters don't give a fuck what they look like, most are fat as hell and as long as they are STRONG, its good for them.

Not to mention, why would he want to diet down? He'd be weak as hell, ever watched a bodybuilder prepare for a show? They get weak as hell from low carbs.

Now, have you ever watched a powerlifter prepare for a show? I sure have, and in fact most of them DIET UP, that is to say, their "DIET" is gaining weight not losing weight.
We used to drink 1 gallon of whole milk a day for 6 weeks before a show, and eat all the rice/pasta we could afford. As long as we could make weight, it was good and we were that much stronger.

As for the bench press questions, its all technique. Ass on the bench, shoulder blades on the bench, feet back = power. Once you learn proper bench technique you can move monster weight but 99% of people try to muscle it solely with their chest and pay no attention to proper setup.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 12:24:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By coltaceguy:

But thats the point, powerlifters don't give a fuck what they look like, most are fat as hell and as long as they are STRONG, its good for them.

Not to mention, why would he want to diet down? He'd be weak as hell, ever watched a bodybuilder prepare for a show? They get weak as hell from low carbs.

As for the bench press questions, its all technique.

I preferred the term festively plump.

It's a shame no one cares about proper technique anymore.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:18:09 AM EST
5' 11"
200#'s

Rep 225x5 no spotter

Never maxed because I don't have a spotter. Everything is done within what I feel I can safely get back up by myself. Only started lifting (after a 10 year break) about 7 months ago.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 12:20:49 PM EST

Now, have you ever watched a powerlifter prepare for a show? I sure have, and in fact most of them DIET UP, that is to say, their "DIET" is gaining weight not losing weight.
We used to drink 1 gallon of whole milk a day for 6 weeks before a show, and eat all the rice/pasta we could afford. As long as we could make weight, it was good and we were that much stronger.

As for the bench press questions, its all technique. Ass on the bench, shoulder blades on the bench, feet back = power. Once you learn proper bench technique you can move monster weight but 99% of people try to muscle it solely with their chest and pay no attention to proper setup.

so do powerlifters care if they work out their chest muscles like a bodybuilder does? Pure bodybuilders will preach about proper technique as well, but in the end, the chest muscle is meant to do do one thing...bring your upper arm (from from shoulder to elbow) across your body (ie. the bech press range of motion).
I've got a friend at the gym who benches as much as I do, but he's 20lbs lighter than me, so pound for pound he's "stronger than me" since we're pushing the same weight, but he's lighter in bodyweight.

Truthfully, and I'm not bashing on powerlifters, but I don't really understand the motivation to become a powerlifter if you end up striving to gain body fat/mass so you can move the max weight. Although it is fun to watch the Strongest man competitions on TV.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:21:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2009 3:22:26 PM EST by Yojimbo]
Haven't maxed bench press in while but here's what I've done with less than max weights...

HT: 5 '5"
BW: 155lbs
Bench: 240x14

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:24:00 PM EST
Powerlifters have to make weight just like bodybuilding, wrestling, MMA, etc. The whole chugging milk and other fluids is to gain BACK the weight they cut before weigh in.

And not all powerlifters are fat. A lot of times what they do is try to get as big as possible like you guys are talking about, and then slowly lean out so they can lift at a lower weight class with the most muscle possible. This process takes several years for most.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:48:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
Haven't maxed bench press in while but here's what I've done with less than max weights...

what in the holy hell?

Are you shitting me?

Enter a powerlifting meet ASAP.

My buddy holds the world record in 148lb masters, and held a bench press record in 148lb open.

He only pushes 365 SHIRTED, and 285ish raw.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:54:59 AM EST
snip

so do powerlifters care if they work out their chest muscles like a bodybuilder does? Pure bodybuilders will preach about proper technique as well, but in the end, the chest muscle is meant to do do one thing...bring your upper arm (from from shoulder to elbow) across your body (ie. the bech press range of motion).
I've got a friend at the gym who benches as much as I do, but he's 20lbs lighter than me, so pound for pound he's "stronger than me" since we're pushing the same weight, but he's lighter in bodyweight.

Truthfully, and I'm not bashing on powerlifters, but I don't really understand the motivation to become a powerlifter if you end up striving to gain body fat/mass so you can move the max weight. Although it is fun to watch the Strongest man competitions on TV.

Powerlifting is very different from bodybuilding.
Sure some bodybuilders workout LIKE POWERLIFTERS in the off season with heavy sets of 4-6reps.
The thing is, powerlifters are only concerned with strength, strength is king, and most think bodybuilders are fucking PUSSIES. I saw a hell of a fight 2 years ago between 2 bodybuilders vs 1 308lb powerlifter. They were running their mouths calling him a fatass, and needless to say, he laid them the FUCK out.
A perfect example of powerlifting would be this, when I first started lifting, I did normal 6-12rep sets. Once I was able to bench 400, I was coached by a guy who made me do "RUSSIAN BENCH PRESS PROGRAM". Basically I was training my chest 5 days a week, YES 5 days a week. One day would be super heavy with perctenage lifts, i.e. 80% of my max for 4 singles. One day was SPEED BENCH, one day was BAND BENCH, one day was nothing but high ass reps. Sounds retarded, and I thought so too, but let me tell you, I added 85lbs to my bench in 6 1/2 weeks. Did similiar programs for squats and deadlifts. Bodybuilding and powerlifting are worlds apart, the only time they are similiar are like I said bodybuilders offeason lifting HEAVY(to them) to gain mass and muscle density. But still, thats not powerlifting, powerlifting is singles, doubles, triples, heavy as you can god damn stand.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 6:00:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By snoopaloop:
Powerlifters have to make weight just like bodybuilding, wrestling, MMA, etc. The whole chugging milk and other fluids is to gain BACK the weight they cut before weigh in.

And not all powerlifters are fat. A lot of times what they do is try to get as big as possible like you guys are talking about, and then slowly lean out so they can lift at a lower weight class with the most muscle possible. This process takes several years for most.

Kinda true.

Most everyone I know who is a competitive powerlifter starts their "cycle" 30-40lbs LOWER then the class they plan to lift in.

That is to say, when we lifted 275lb Open class,I'd start at about 235-240lb, and just POUND food for 2-3 months, obviously keeping weight in check somewhat. Couldn't be heavier then 275lb obviously during weigh-ins, but I was usaully 5-8llbs too heavy so I would drink 4 gallons of water a day 8-12 days out, and bring in Vitamin B6 starting at 600mg a day to make me not hold water as badly in order to make weight.

But like I said, I only know the guys I lifted with, and we all lifted from 242lb to 308lb class respectively. There is a guy where I train who does the 148lb class, now being that small, yes he cannot BLOW THE HELL UP, he stays within 8-10lbs of his 148lb class year around, and usually has to get stupid with diuetrics pre-contest to squeeze into 148lb class.

Your mileage may vary
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:43:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By Joe_Blow:

Your technique could also depend on the goal you wish to obtain. If you want strength arch your back, bring your feet in, and tuck your elbows. This not only works better for me for strength but also works for size alot better than the old school elbows flared flat back approach, but I have seen guys that are more into bodybuilding/size/sculpting etc, and get better results with the elbows flared approach. I guess it depends on who you talk to. If you talk to some pansy personal trainer at corporate gym they will tell you the latter aproach with girl weight and slow reps for 16, not to mention doing elbows flared with heavier weight can kill your shoulders quick.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:52:15 PM EST

what in the holy hell?

Are you shitting me?

My buddy holds the world record in 148lb masters, and held a bench press record in 148lb open.

At 5'5" there is a lot of potential for mechanical advantage.

I was like with the 155# aspect until I started calculating in those short limbs !

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:47:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By Just1ce:

Your technique could also depend on the goal you wish to obtain. If you want strength arch your back, bring your feet in, and tuck your elbows. This not only works better for me for strength but also works for size alot better than the old school elbows flared flat back approach, but I have seen guys that are more into bodybuilding/size/sculpting etc, and get better results with the elbows flared approach. I guess it depends on who you talk to. If you talk to some pansy personal trainer at corporate gym they will tell you the latter aproach with girl weight and slow reps for 16, not to mention doing elbows flared with heavier weight can kill your shoulders quick.

Are you going for injury too?? NEVER EVER ARCH YOUR BACK! not unless you want to destroy your erector spinae and then compress a disk. Tucking your elbows also Isolates the tricep in the movement so you are taking the back out of complete isolation. When I was in school I did strength and conditioning with the OSU Football team. We had to constantly fix our freshman of this bad bad habit, poorly taught in high school by uneducated AT's. For strength it is high weight 3 sets at 8 to 10 reps at a slow pace of 2 to 5 seconds down and back up. The bigfactor that most dont realize is the rest time, after the set rest for 1 to 2 minutes. We integrated this method with an agility method using roughly the same weight faster pace and less rest time between. There are SO many methods its ridiculous that anyone ever agrees on a way to coach or train. I graduated with a BS in Exercise Science with my background in strength and conditioning, I then took 2 national tests the CSCC (certified strength and condition coach) and ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine)I am constantly having to revamp EVERYTHING i know because something new comes out about training its an every evolving science. At the end of the day everyones genes have a predeterming that will be hit, even top athletes will never hit that ceiling tho. There are small walls that are hit and must be broken by changing ones routine.

I will never know everything and dont want to claim to, but PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU TRAIN.

Now for what the OP wanted outta the thread.

Im 6'4" 275lbs and Bench 385lbs., Squat 750, Clean and jerk 450 and dead lift around 600 lbs. (havent maxed in a long time)

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 8:18:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2009 8:19:25 PM EST by AGW]
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 9:14:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By AGW:

Originally Posted By gehrkek:
Originally Posted By Just1ce:

Are you going for injury too?? NEVER EVER ARCH YOUR BACK! not unless you want to destroy your erector spinae and then compress a disk. Tucking your elbows also Isolates the tricep in the movement so you are taking the back out of complete isolation. When I was in school I did strength and conditioning with the OSU Football team. We had to constantly fix our freshman of this bad bad habit, poorly taught in high school by uneducated AT's. For strength it is high weight 3 sets at 8 to 10 reps at a slow pace of 2 to 5 seconds down and back up. The bigfactor that most dont realize is the rest time, after the set rest for 1 to 2 minutes. We integrated this method with an agility method using roughly the same weight faster pace and less rest time between. There are SO many methods its ridiculous that anyone ever agrees on a way to coach or train. I graduated with a BS in Exercise Science with my background in strength and conditioning, I then took 2 national tests the CSCC (certified strength and condition coach) and ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine)I am constantly having to revamp EVERYTHING i know because something new comes out about training its an every evolving science. At the end of the day everyones genes have a predeterming that will be hit, even top athletes will never hit that ceiling tho. There are small walls that are hit and must be broken by changing ones routine.

I will never know everything and dont want to claim to, but PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU TRAIN.

Now for what the OP wanted outta the thread.

Im 6'4" 275lbs and Bench 385lbs., Squat 750, Clean and jerk 450 and dead lift around 600 lbs. (havent maxed in a long time)

By the same token, flattening your back and mashing your spine into the bench is a great way to do damage. Arching doesn't necessarily mean hyper-extending. It means assuming a strong, fully extended position enough where one could slide a flat hand under your low back.

I didnt say mash your spine into the bench, and i meant taking your chest out of complete isolation not "back", and you are right about the small space but this is an anatomical correct curvature that we should all have.There is a small arch that can occur but we arent talking about arching your back, like we 90% of gym goers do where their belly button goes up to the ceiling. There is a lot of wasted effort that happens at a gym haha.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:15:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By gdblair:

what in the holy hell?

Are you shitting me?

I was like with the 155# aspect until I started calculating in those short limbs !

short limbs or not, if he's pushing that kind of weight at 155lbs, he could be a world recorder holder
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 8:10:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2009 8:14:53 AM EST by Yojimbo]
Originally Posted By gdblair:

what in the holy hell?

Are you shitting me?

short limbs or not, if he's pushing that kind of weight at 155lbs, he could be a world recorder holder

I don't know about that, the reason I haven't maxed in while is because my left shoulder and right elbow have a hard time working properly once I get pas 300lbs... In fact, I'm icing my right elbow right now...

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:15:59 PM EST
I'd be very curious to see everyones bench #'s compared to how many chin ups they can do.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:48:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By Only_Hits_Count:
I'd be very curious to see everyones bench #'s compared to how many chin ups they can do.

Then start a thread about it.

I would be happy to respond.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 9:01:23 PM EST
Weigh 135, my max = 105. No pull-ups, but I'm semi-working on it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top