Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2001 2:09:52 PM EDT
Alright, assuming Ares or another manufacturer gets one of these ready for production, with a 16" barrel, would it be completely legal to install one on, say, a pre-ban lower receiver?  How about on a post-ban with a muzzle break or open muzzle at the end (and no bayo lug)?  Does a person have to use 'pre-ban' links when joining +10 rounds together, so that you don't have a 'high-capacity ammunition feeding device' or whatever it's called?  I would like to know what the word on this belt-fed stuff is since I'm obviously clueless on the details right now...
Link Posted: 4/5/2001 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You may run afoul of state laws in places like california, but federally:

belt-fed upper on pre-ban lower: yes
belt-fed upper on post-ban lower: yes
need to use pre-ban links: yes, if you assemble them into a >10 round configuration
Link Posted: 4/5/2001 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
heh 10 round belt lol any way how the heck would you know a link is pre 94 anyway they didnt mark each link or links of more than 10 rounds exepct maybe cloth belts
Link Posted: 4/5/2001 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
So, where on earth does a guy find 'pre-ban' links?  Are pre-ban links going for a premium over post-ban links these days?  I find the concept of 10-round lengths of 'post-ban' belt a little humorous myself...does every link after September 1994 get the infamous 'MILITARY/LEO USE ONLY' stamp?!?

But seriously, like cyrax777 said, how would anybody ever know?  I guess carbon dating is out of the question; how else would a person find out?
Link Posted: 4/5/2001 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
just like mags, if they're not marked, they're assumed to be pre-ban.

As for where - try new river salvage - he's usually got them advertised on subguns.com
Link Posted: 4/5/2001 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Ares web site and get George philpott's # from the FAL PDW page he has all the pre-ban links you want.  The post ban links are supposed to has the date of MFG on them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2001 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, I was more or less joking about each 5.56 link being stamped, but I guess I shouldn't have been.  Anyway, thanks for your answers--learn something new each day.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#7]
From what I understand links that were shipped after 1994 are not individually marked but the bulk package/case or whatever the come in from the manufacturer is marked military use. So once they are out of the box nobody knows if they are pre or post ban and the government has the burden of proof.
Not unless they have changed things in last couple of years.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#8]
anyway anyone know where i can get a belt fed upper would go nicely on my pre reciever
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, there's one for sale right now - a Ceiner model from the 80's.  Have you got $10,500?

Your other option would be the XMG99 upper in 8mm mauser.  There's no announced price, but expect at least $2k, and they use MG34/MG42 belts.

[url]http://www.brpguns.com/xmg99.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Just for curiosity's sake, does anybody have a pic of the Ceiner upper?  
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#11]
that upper sounds awsome
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]
For anybody that hasn't seen the Ares Shrike prototype:

[url]www.usit.com/ares/shrike.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I e-mailed that company privatly and was told that if they could not get at least 6K for the upper they would not waste thier time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 6:34:52 AM EDT
[#14]
That sounds like a lot, however, there's not much of a market (supply wise) and so I guess they write their own ticket.  Sux (for us).
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#15]
In my finest Swedish voice:

"Uff Da!"

That's a lot of cash
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#16]
So if you used a preban link every 10th round would that be OK? :)
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By David Hineline:
I e-mailed that company privatly and was told that if they could not get at least 6K for the upper they would not waste thier time.
View Quote

Which company are you speaking of?  For 6,000 I could buy a M-16.  If it is ARES then they better quit wasting money on the upper.

The Azalin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top