Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2004 9:53:43 PM EDT
I have been out of the Army for 3 months now and freaking hate it! I was so anxious to ETS and now I want to go back in already. Ive been working for a month now and hate it because theres no camradere, no pride in the work, and it pays so much that it makes me a whore to the job ($15 dollars an hour, unionized). Try quitting a job with that kind of pay for Army pay. I just hate to hear about Iraq on the news knowing I probably wont go back. I hate this crap.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL, Welcome home!!! Don't worry, sooner or later you'll find yourself joining unit organizations and going to reunions just to remember the good ole days.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting, I have a friend who came back a couple months ago and feels the same way.  Don't listen to the media, they are clearly on their side now.  Most of us though greatly appreciate what you have done. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Ha, you're coming out, I'm going in...leave for basic next month

I'm leaving a union job ($14/hr, warehouse work) too...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Your a better man than me! By the way, if you didnt sign up for 11 series it aint too late to cancel and redo your contract!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Haha, I'm going as 13F right now, but don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind. I got a good package though
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Tomorrow is my ECC.  It will mark 10 years & 3 months of time served...  So, how long will it be before I get the "gotta get back in itch?"      
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Go back in. I wish I did. I've been out since 1990 and I still hate most civilians......and my best friends are brother vets (OK, one guy was a free lancer lol)....every day, except for the first month i was out I miss it. Don't miss the stupid shit, but I miss the rest.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#8]
My first civvie job they got pissed because I did all my work on time or ahead of schedule.  My co-workers screamed at me on a meeting one day, they said ," you are fucking forcing the quotas up for all of us, soon we will have to work all damn day."

Civvie life is fine but you will never have the same feel unless you join a police or fire dept.  I have a group of military and ex-military friends and we stick together.  We help the guys who are deploying and ship gear to the guys who need it as required, watch each others homes and cars and all that sort of crap.

Most civilians dont have a clue why their jobs are going to china or what is going on in the world.  They go thru life ignorant and love it.  Now you know how the other half lives.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't think that feeling ever goes away. Also true most of friends are ex-military,some still serving. It is also amazing how you can tell someone was ex-military. A friend of ours thought it was uncanny how we just kind of sniffed each other out and congregated together.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#10]
You can't get back in??? They are in NEED of men like you!

Either way it goes, I wish you luck in finding happiness, but above all:
Thank you for helping keep America free!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My first civvie job they got pissed because I did all my work on time or ahead of schedule.  My co-workers screamed at me on a meeting one day, they said ," you are fucking forcing the quotas up for all of us, soon we will have to work all damn day."  

My first day on the job I was working along side someone learning what to do. The second day I was on my own and quickly releized there is a limit on the amount of work that gets done. That sucks! Am seriously thinking about becoming a cop with hopes of being on a SWAT team in a few years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have been out of the Army for 3 months now and freaking hate it! I was so anxious to ETS and now I want to go back in already. Ive been working for a month now and hate it because theres no camradere, no pride in the work, and it pays so much that it makes me a whore to the job ($15 dollars an hour, unionized). Try quitting a job with that kind of pay for Army pay. I just hate to hear about Iraq on the news knowing I probably wont go back. I hate this crap.

Go back.

I was set to ETS on the 30th this month and in the 3 1/2 months since our deployment ended (14 mths CONUS on a chemical weapons depot) I've been wasting my time on terminal leave and generally just screwing around.

I went to my unit last week to get my seperation packet in order and see what it was they needed from me and saw "My" guys for the first time in months.

Last friday I was going to sign everything and was in my truck driving to the Armory and I realized that I "Couldn't" get out now.  After doing this on-and-off since '81 (13yrs total) in the RA and the 'Guard it just "Seemed" "Wrong" to be leaving when my country was at war (And I believe it is).  

Anyway, I spent a couple of hours today over at ARC in Salem signing '4836 forms and asked the battalion XO to Swear me and I'll tell you what man, I was never so glad to be back in the fold.

I dunno, it's a personal thing and you have to do what's right for you but I'm glad I'm not getting out.  

BTW, thank you for your service
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#13]
First of all!  Thanks for your service!
I missed the military greatly when I got out.  After about 6 months I joined the  USAR.  It  wasn't the same by any means but I got to wear the uniform every month.  That felt good.  I got to teach a few of the reservists some things that they had never learned because they were never active duty.  My civi job finally escalated to bigger and better things so I got out all together.  I still miss it alot and probably always will.  Give it time though!  You will adjust.  It took me a while too.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been out since March of '89. I've been talking to a recruiter in the local guard unit about getting back in. Looks like it is still possible. Convincing the wife and kids will be the hard part. Oh, by the way, I'm a union electrician making over $25/hr.... This isn't about money.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:50:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've been out since March of '89. I've been talking to a recruiter in the local guard unit about getting back in. Looks like it is still possible. Convincing the wife and kids will be the hard part. Oh, by the way, I'm a union electrician making over $25/hr.... This isn't about money.

I understand completely that "his isn't about money."  Keep in mind that if you do go back in you stand a very good chance at getting deployed at some point in time.  Take not of wht your debt to income ration is.  That 25.00/hr could soon change to $10.00/hour.  I had a good friend when I was in GW1 was called up as an IRR.  He was an E4 when he ETS'd  originally.   I think he told me that  he went from $60,000 a year  salary to $20,000.  With wife children and debts they ended up having to sell their house and his truck just to be able to make ends meet.  He was in very poor shape financially when he was released.  I could not personally afford something like that happening today.  That is one of the reasons I got out of the USAR a couple of years ago.  Now my company will make up for the difference in military pay for armed service members.   And several companies are doing the same now.  I have been discharged for so long now the last time I checked I would have to re-do basic training again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:14:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#17]
It will get easier as time passes, and no you won't be finding anyone not dressed in camo ready to jump on a grenade for you.  I was sent home from Viet Nam wounded so I missed my buds ALOT, then I was discharged and I really missed everything about being a Marine.  It took a while to adjust but I DID find some great friends that maybe wouldn't jump on a frag but they also wouldn't  shove me in front of a bus.  Thank you for serving, you did your part, relax.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I found civilian life to be boring compared to military life.  So after being out of the Navy for 10 years I went & joined the Navy reserves last year and it's been great.  I actually wish sometimes that I could do it full-time again.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Boy do I know that feeling. I got out in '86. I was tired of endless training cycles and didn't see any need to stick around.

I was just getting settled into civi life when Saddam invaded Kuwait. I spent every spare minute in front of the tube trying to see if any of my buddies were there. I was seriously considering calling the recruiter and made the mistake of telling the Mrs. If you don't think military life puts a strain on a marriage let me tell you my wife was pissed at me for even thinking about going back.

It went on like that for years.

I finally got over it when I made a trip to see an old Army buddy who retired. We made a trip over to Fort Knox. He had some business to take care of and I wanted to see what the place looked like after 20 years.

When I saw the abandoned buildings, empty housing areas, and generally run-down condition of the post, any desire I had to re-up disappeared.

I still feel like I should be 'over there'. That feeling won't ever go away. It's kinda like being an old firehouse dog. Too old to get on the truck but my heart still races every time I hear the sirens.

I don't know which choice is better. I seem to have done all right but feel like I missed out on so much. My buddy was there. He's seen it all and has the stories to tell but it came at a high price (lousy marriage and horrific divorce). He's OK now, met Mrs. Outstanding and has a great job to supplement his pension.

I haven't asked him if he would have done it differently.

I think I might have.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Go join your local Legion/VFW.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Been retired for almost 2 years.

I miss it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't miss being a pawn in a game I can't control.  I dont miss 6 months at sea with two port calls.  Don't miss the two by six foot bed.  Do miss my buds...  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I was out of the Navy for 2 years and missed it the military every minute of it. While the Navy was great i wanted something different. I ended up in the National Guard as an 11B. I asked for it, they gave it to me. I guess to some people the feeling never leaves. Although i do have to admit, i miss being at sea some days.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Been on the retired list for 9 years and 5 days as of today.  Of 24 years all but one short 33 month tour stateside was overseas and at sea.  I miss it very much, but feel that the new kinder and gentler military with all of its political correctness would not be for me.  Hell, DoD is making it a court martial offense to use the services of a whore overseas!!!!!!Rich
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Good point. I got out just before the Army went PC. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with any of that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey IBU-14, that's IBU as in NCW right? I'm in the MIUW out here. HELL of a lot better than the Fleet. I wish it was active duty. I usually go in for a week a month to work. It's nice to actually work with guys I know and trust, then to go home and not worry about all the little crap.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Hey IBU-14, that's IBU as in NCW right? I'm in the MIUW out here. HELL of a lot better than the Fleet. I wish it was active duty. I usually go in for a week a month to work. It's nice to actually work with guys I know and trust, then to go home and not worry about all the little crap.

That's right, IBU as in Inshore Boat Unit & NCW.

Were you up at the Seahawk exercise in Washington in August?

Riding our 32 foot jet drive boats is a blast!  Shooting all of the different types of weapons that we have is a blast!!

Being on the submarine during my active duty years was cool, but these IBU boats are far more exciting.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Heh, I just got it.  Gettin' ready to go overseas too.  I can see a big difference between my old AIT environment and my current civvie environment.  All I can say is that I love Drill weekends.

To everyone that has served: Once a servicemember, always a servicemember.

Sure, you may be in the civilian field now, but you did something that not everyone else was willing to do.  Not only that, you signed a contract that pretty much said you were willing to give your life for your country.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
To everyone that has served: Once a servicemember, always a servicemember.

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That's right, IBU as in Inshore Boat Unit & NCW.

Were you up at the Seahawk exercise in Washington in August?

Riding our 32 foot jet drive boats is a blast!  Shooting all of the different types of weapons that we have is a blast!!

No I wasn't up there in Aug. The 32fters are the new ones right? I thought the Navy said they only wanted prop drive on those? All the ones out here for Group 2 are prop. Personally I think that pump jet makes more sense, but that's just me. Did you guys deploy to Kuwait? My unit was over there in jan-mar for the big troop turn over. Is your unit out near ST Louis? I almost got a job out there and was thinking about transferring to the MIUW detachment out there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#32]

The 32 foot jet drive boats are the older boats, the 34 footers are the newer prop drive boats.  We're the only IBU with the jet drive boats.  They're actually faster than the newer 34 foot boats and much funner to drive and ride.  The 32 footers can turn so hard using the jet drive buckets that you'll get thrown overboard if you're not hanging on with all your strength.  I almost ended up in the water off Coronado this past summer when we did a hard turn and the handle that I was hanging onto on the aft side of the crew cab broke off.  I have some good video that I took while riding one of our boats during Seahawk that I'll try to get downloaded from the tape and I'll post in on my website.

My unit did deploy to Iraq in Dec. 2002 & came back in June of 2003, but I didn't join the unit until Sept. of 2003, so I of course wasn't over there.

We're located at the reserve center that's right across the street from the airport here in St. Louis.  If you're driving by the airport on I-70, you can see all five of our boats backed right up against the fence along side the highway.

Later...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, I was just there and drove by the airport several times on natural bridge rd and a few others, I got lost like a jackass. Didn't see your boats, I was busy looking for hertz to return my car and catch my plane. Let me know what your website is I'd like to check the video out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I agree with you guys Civilian life can suck sometimes. I was in for 14 years and go out on Disability. I tend to hang out mostly with ex-military friends. I sure do miss the service at times. Then there are times when I'm glad I got out. I had to put up with a lot of bullshit and backstabbing politics at times.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Got out right before Desert Storm, went to school. What an eye opener! No one cared about anything, crappy attitudes, complaints about bullshit....
It was quite an adjustment. When the first Gulf war started I had some feeling I didn't expect. I knew my unit was there and I wasn't. I really felt like I needed to be there. I met another guy in the same situation and that made it a little better, i wasn't alone, as you aren't now.
This country needs good vets in the civilian sector now more that they need in the service.
This country is on the brink of very bad times. I am confident knowing that I play a part in preventing that by being the best I can, supporting causes that make a difference, and generally taking up the slack of at least 5 or 6 assholes who couldn't care less about this country.
Now more than ever, we need good men finding a spot and doing all they can to make the be machine that is our country successful.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#36]
it takes about 8 yrs for marines to get the shit out of their system...army not sure....just relax and roll with shit its cool....the service has rolled without you before just let it go...it was your choice to leave...............semper fi
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Joined right out of highschool just after the first gulf war... 8 years with Billy as commander in chief... Then I got out just before the last election and now my buddies are over in Iraq and I feel like I'm letting the team down... But I do not miss the crap. I almost joined back up but I made the recruiter take me to the NG HQ here in UT and it all came back why I got out... All the crap and politics... If I wasn't married I might have just said to hell with it and got back in anyway...
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#38]
WHOO HOOO!!!!  Today is my one month anniversary!!!!!!!! Sorry couldn't help it. Officially retired 1 October 2004....still looking for a job though so I haven't woke up to the reality of what working in the civilian sector is.  Been in or around the military all my life so it's all I've known. Just need  to get a job real quick like!!!.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top