Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2006 11:08:54 AM EDT
For those of you who work in corporate environment, do the muslims around the office start showing more "muslim patriotism" the higher political tensions get?

Today, a labanese guy was wearing an olive drab, fatigue-looking blouse with a black T-shirt underneath. Back during the cartoon thing, this Nigerian, who is normally a mild mannered American seeming guy, started wearing a hat with Arabic writing that had Jarusalem in English on it. I hadn't even known he was a muslim up until then.

Does this happen other places or am I just being paranoid?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I would pat him down from now on for a suicide vest. Cant be to careful these days.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Well that's what it looked like.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For those of you who work in corporate environment, do the muslims around the office start showing more "muslim patriotism" the higher political tensions get?

Today, a labanese guy was wearing an olive drab, fatigue-looking blouse with a black T-shirt underneath. Back during the cartoon thing, this Nigerian, who is normally a mild mannered American seeming guy, started wearing a hat with Arabic writing that had Jarusalem in English on it. I hadn't even known he was a muslim up until then.

To muslims, there are no countries, only islam.

You are not being paranoid.

Oh yeah...IBTL
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#4]
IBTL because something I said or someting someone else will probably say?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well that's what it looked like.

Rumor has it that there is an  Iranian version of ARFCOM where a bunch of Iranians get together and talk about  ak47's, shtf, and how they should nuke America from space once they get the bomb.

Yes, I'm sure Muslims here in the us like to show solidarity with their brothers around the world.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

something some knucklehead will say.

IBTL

and I see it a little on campus.  the muslim student groups had little protests and stuff like that.  they usually are out of sight/out of mind, so it was unusual to see them
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#7]
No muslims where I work.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#8]
being lebonese and wearing a olive drab camo shirt doesnt make you a terrorist...i do that and im not planning on blowing up shit.  

please, you guys need your heads checked, your really paranoid
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Watch your back!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#10]
you should take the rest of the day off and hide in your fort!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#11]
The only people in my office who publicly display their religion are a couple of fundamentalist Christians, and frankly I wish they'd keep their beliefs to themselves.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#12]
nevermind.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#13]
We've got a guy here who's really decent.
Never makes it an issue and is pretty likeable.
The other Indians in the office say that he's "still a Muslim" and is just "waiting on orders".  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The only people in my office who publicly display their religion are a couple of fundamentalist Christians, and frankly I wish they'd keep their beliefs to themselves.

yeah, the one thing that gets me is when people are very "loud" about their religion.  i don't like it at all.

i don't care if they're muslim, christian, jewish, or whatever.  i just don't have a very high opinion of anyone that advertises their religion, or brags about being religious.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, the one thing that gets me is when people are very "loud" about their religion.  i don't like it at all.

i don't care if they're muslim, christian, jewish, or whatever.  i just don't have a very high opinion of anyone that advertises their religion, or brags about being religious.

+1

that pisses me off too, proud or not, i hate when people are loud about it
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
being lebonese and wearing a olive drab camo shirt doesnt make you a terrorist...i do that and im not planning on blowing up shit.  

A-HA!  Busted!  Not "planning" on it.  Of course not.  You're waiting for orders.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I work with a muslim and our manager is x military and just loves praising president bush.... He does not like that much you can see him cringing and holding back his opinion!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

point is...the guy never wears shit like that until an escalation.

....just because you're paraniod....doesn't mean they're not after you....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Most Indians HATE muslims.  They have a long history with them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Many Indians are muslims, technically.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I never said he was a terrorist. I think he does shit like that just to piss off real Americans. It's like giving the US the finger in a subtle sort of way. I've talked light politics with him before. I'm pretty sure what side he's on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many is a very relative term when talking about Indians.  Few Indians could translate into hundreds of millions of Indians.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many....but certainly not most.

Hindu 80.5%, Muslim 13.4%, Christian 2.3%, Sikh 1.9%, other 1.8%, unspecified 0.1%
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

About 13%... and yes the average Indian hates Muslims. The Mogul occupation of Indian is probably the greatest instance of organized mass murder in human history… including the Nazis and Soviets.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I work with a muslim. Not a bad kid. He was active ARMY now is in the reserves.

I asked him about the cartoons and he was fairly reasonable about it. Said he didn't understand while all the uproar cause they don't know what he looks like.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Have a potluck and feed them pork.  You'll feel better.  I did.  
If you don't get it, it was a post I made a few years ago.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hindu 80.5%, Muslim 13.4%, Christian 2.3%, Sikh 1.9%, other 1.8%, unspecified 0.1%

Right -  "many" in my use of the word refers to the fact that about 100 million Indians are muslims.  Certainly not a huge proportion of the population, but a very large number of people.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#29]
And they made Pakistan FOR those muslims.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Please get a clue.

Are you a muslim? You didn't say. You just said you were Lebonese. The two may not have anything to do with each other.

"Practicing" muslims that actually believe in their faith, don't recognized government authority over "islam" or "Sharia" law. And if a government isn't under Sharia law, then they don't recognize that governmental body. They "say" they follow the laws in a country, however, I doubt that's the case deep down, especially when it comes to the US. I am sure that out of 300,000 muslims in Dearborn and Dearborn Heights, you won't find too many that would be willing to give up information on actual terrorists that are operating here. As in the case throughout the muslim faith, brothers in faith and blood come WAY before what is right.

And 9/11 and the way the average muslim gets upset over a stupid cartoon does tend to make you sit up and take a look around. If it weren't for all the crap the muslims in the world are doing, I wouldn't have a clue about islam. Never needed to in the past, but now that it may invade my life, you bet I am getting a really good education in it.

Peaceful muslims... 136 times in koran, it says it's ok to MURDER "non-believers". Peaceful? Yeah, right.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a women that I work with from Syria, she is pretty decent except the fact that she is a big liberal. every once in a while she will say something crazy and I will make her look a dumb shit in front of everybody.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I promise,I will solve this problem when I become World Ruler!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

please, you guys need your heads checked, your really paranoid.

Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean that no one is out to get you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
"Practicing" muslims that actually believe in their faith, don't recognized government authority over "islam" or "Sharia" law. And if a government isn't under Sharia law, then they don't recognize that governmental body. They "say" they follow the laws in a country, however, I doubt that's the case deep down, especially when it comes to the US. I am sure that out of 300,000 muslims in Dearborn and Dearborn Heights, you won't find too many that would be willing to give up information on actual terrorists that are operating here. As in the case throughout the muslim faith, brothers in faith and blood come WAY before what is right.

actually, most of the sheikhs I know feel that Shari`a law for the most part disappears when you are living in a foreign land.

The only people that feel that you shouldn't follow the laws of the infidel in their land are the followers of Ibn Wahhab.

And 9/11 and the way the average muslim gets upset over a stupid cartoon does tend to make you sit up and take a look around. If it weren't for all the crap the muslims in the world are doing, I wouldn't have a clue about islam. Never needed to in the past, but now that it may invade my life, you bet I am getting a really good education in it.

Apparently not getting that good of an education. Regarding the cartoon issue, even the Wahhabists I know didn't really care, they are content in knowing that those who published those cartoons are going to hell.

Peaceful muslims... 136 times in koran, it says it's ok to MURDER "non-believers". Peaceful? Yeah, right.

context, context, my friend. Show me ONE ayat(verse) that says to kill non-believers that is not prefixed by verses talking about how the group of unbelievers mentioned broke cease-fires or outright attacked Muslims,etc..
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right -  "many" in my use of the word refers to the fact that about 100 million Indians are muslims.  Certainly not a huge proportion of the population, but a very large number of people.

In this connection.....

Not all Muslims are al-Qaida supporters, but they don't have to be. If just
1 per cent is generally sympathetic, that's enough for a vast global
support network. - --MARK STEYN

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Regarding the cartoon issue, even the Wahhabists I know didn't really care,

Sure.  

... they are content in knowing that those who published those cartoons are going to hell.

My guess is that you've never even MET a "Wahhabist" in person - and if you do know any, I'd be willing to bet good money that you are lying about their reaction (consistent with your track record of lying about all sorts of stuff when it suits you)

Extremist muslims - ESPECIALLY Wahhabists - have demonstrated over and over again that they are the exact opposite of the "live and let live" and "they will get their just rewards in the afterlife" attitude.

Ask your imaginary Wahhabist friends why their ilk found it necessary to fly jet planes into the World Trade center and kill thousands of innocent people - why not just wait for those evil americans to go to hell, hmmm?

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The other Indians in the office say that he's "still a Muslim" and is just "waiting on orders".  

Sounds like those indians post on AR15.com
Personally - I don't trust hindus - the whole caste system turns me off.

The Muslims I know and hang out with are pretty low key and laid back.
There are these two Saudi dumbasses - them and I do not get along very well.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the episode of Inside The Actors Studio f/ Dave Chapelle. Didn't he say he was Muslim, but his religion is pretty much his business?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Regarding the cartoon issue, even the Wahhabists I know didn't really care,

Sure.  

they may be asshats, but even Salafi scum tend to be more content with non-violent interventions.

... they are content in knowing that those who published those cartoons are going to hell.

My guess is that you've never even MET a "Wahhabist" in person - and if you do know any, I'd be willing to bet good money that you are lying about their reaction (consistent with your track record of lying about all sorts of stuff when it suits you)

Yeah, the guy I know going to college here whose brother died over in Iraq while fighting American forces; the guy that is moving back to Saudi Arabia after he gets his degree because he "hates Americans"; The guy who practically worships Ibn Taymiyya and considers the madhabs as "bid'a"; the very guy that supports the killing of US Soldiers in Iraq... is not a Salafi.

... and neither are his friends who feel the same way

I will give you a  hint, the people burning shit overseas were just looking for an excuse to do it, and they really have no religious backing to support their actions(by backing, I mean support from the Sunnah and the Qur'an, not their Sheikhs).

Extremist muslims - ESPECIALLY Wahhabists - have demonstrated over and over again that they are the exact opposite of the "live and let live" and "they will get their just rewards in the afterlife" attitude.

You're telling me; you "mess up" in your prayer(by "mess up", I mean not doing it exactly how they do it), they will chide your ass, and prevent you from giving the Khutbah on Friday, like they did to one of my friends.

Yes, they would like it if someone put a bullet into the heads of the people who published the cartoons, but they wouldn't do it themselves.

Ask your imaginary Wahhabist friends why their ilk found it necessary to fly jet planes into the World Trade center and kill thousands of innocent people - why not just wait for those evil americans to go to hell, hmmm?

They don't believe Muslims were even behind the attacks, they follow every conspiracy theory in the books in regards to 9/11.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And they are offended when all other Arabs view them as "inferior" and "backwards" when I have yet to meet a Saudi who wasn't a royal Arab version of a  "Redneck".
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And they are offended when all other Arabs view them as "inferior" and "backwards" when I have yet to meet a Saudi who wasn't a royal Arab version of a  "Redneck".

I have a professor who is an Egyptian.
He loves old TV shows.
He started calling the Saudis "beverly hillbillies"
Pretty accurate if you ask me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Are you sure the Lebanese guy is Muslim?  I know several Lebanese here at my university, all Christian.

Perhaps those you mentioned are just trying to raise awareness that those from the Middle East or Muslim countries are not all lunatics.  Or maybe the Lebanese guy is a member of the Lebanese version of Arfcom.  Maybe the Nigerian guy went on vacation to Jerusalem and "all (he) got was this stupid hat."

Jim
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
context, context, my friend. Show me ONE ayat(verse) that says to kill non-believers that is not prefixed by verses talking about how the group of unbelievers mentioned broke cease-fires or outright attacked Muslims,etc..

Ahh, I love you guys...its always "its out of context", "you have to read it in Arabic", "Its all who does the translation", "Thats all in the past", blah, blah, blah....

Things are clear to me, I don't care what the context...

Qur’an 47:4 “So, when you clash with the unbelieving Infidels in battle (fighting Jihad in Allah’s Cause), smite their necks until you overpower them, killing and wounding many of them. At length, when you have thoroughly subdued them, bind them firmly, making (them) captives. Thereafter either generosity or ransom (them based upon what benefits Islam) until the war lays down its burdens. Thus are you commanded by Allah to continue carrying out Jihad against the unbelieving infidels until they submit to Islam.”

Muslim:C40B20N4676 “Jihad Is Compulsory.”

Bukhari:V4B52N80 “Muhammad said, ‘Allah welcomes two men with a smile; one of whom kills the other and both of them enter Paradise. One fights in Allah’s Cause and gets killed. Later on Allah forgives the killer who also get martyred in Allah’s Cause.’”

Bukhari:V4B52N182-4 “Allah’s Apostle invoked evil upon the infidels, saying, ‘O Allah! The revealer of the Holy Book, defeat these people and shake them. Fill the infidels’ houses and graves with fire.’”

Bukhari:V4B53N386 “Umar sent Muslims to great countries to fight pagans. He said, ‘I intend to invade Persia and Rome.’ So, he ordered us to go to [the Persian King] Khosrau. When we reached the enemy, Khosrau’s representative came out with 40,000 warriors, saying, ‘Talk to me! Who are you?’ Mughira replied, ‘We are Arabs; we led a hard, miserable, disastrous life. We used to worship trees and stones. While we were in this state, our Prophet, the Messenger of our Lord, ordered us to fight you till you worship Allah Alone or pay us the Jizyah tribute tax in submission. Our Prophet has informed us that our Lord says: ‘Whoever amongst us is killed as a martyr shall go to Paradise to lead such a luxurious life as he has never seen, and whoever survives shall become your master.’”

Tabari IX:69 “Killing disbelievers is a small matter to us.”

Tabari VIII:141 “The battle cry of the Companions of the Messenger of Allah that night was: ‘Kill! Kill! Kill!’”

Bukhari:V5B59N512 “The Prophet had their men killed, their woman and children taken captive.”
Ishaq:489 “Do the bastards think that we are not their equal in fighting? We are men who think that there is no shame in killing.”

Qur’an 2:191 “And kill them wherever you find and catch them. Drive them out from where they have turned you out; for Al-Fitnah (polytheism, disbelief, oppression) is worse than slaughter.”

Qur’an 9:5 “When the sacred forbidden months for fighting are past, fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, torture them, and lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war.”

Qur’an 5:37 “The [Christian] disbelievers will long to get out of the Fire, but never will they get out there from; and theirs will be an enduring torture.”

Qur’an 9:71 “O Prophet, strive hard [fighting] against the unbelievers and the Hypocrites, and be harsh with them. Their abode is Hell, an evil refuge indeed.”

Qur’an 8:59 “The infidels should not think that they can get away from us. Prepare against them whatever arms and weaponry you can muster so that you may terrorize them.”

Qur’an 4:168 “Those who reject [Islamic] Faith, Allah will not forgive them nor guide them to any path except the way to Hell, to dwell therein forever. And this to Allah is easy.”

Oh, I can go on and on...the Religion of Peace indeed!

This infidels eyes are open....and you cannot lull me into a false sense of security...

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I worked with an Iranian.  His only political comment was:

"Khomeini issa a ass-a-hole".
Seemed like a reasonable enough fella.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Yeah ok lets clear this up right here, right now. Mr. Premed gunner (if that is your real name )
Do you consider yourself a salafist? And how do you feel about Isrealis? Do they have a right to exsist? If you (in theory), had the power to erase Isreal from the map, would you do it? And what about the Crusades? Justified? or "imperialism"? I think you should state once and for all what you belive so people wont think of you as a troll or something. And if you don't wanna answer all of them at least answer the first one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#46]
... Yeah, and when they do here, I just wear in one of these:

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

something some knucklehead will say.

IBTL

and I see it a little on campus.  the muslim student groups had little protests and stuff like that.  they usually are out of sight/out of mind, so it was unusual to see them

I work for a university, and I see "Stop the occupation of Palestine" protests all the time.  At one of the protests, students were standing at the bell tower with the green Hamas headbands and were carrying pieces of plywood cut out into the shape of AK47's (and painted black, too).

The funny thing is, most of them were NOT muslims at all.  Most of them are white kids (I'm only assuming they're not muslims because they're white - so sue me) who simply hate Israel and America.  Don't get me wrong, there are some legitimate gripes with Israel, but these kids don't care about them.  They're just doing it because they are stupid white kids with Che t-shirts.

As far as I can tell, most of the muslims who work on campus are either professors or research scientists.  I have yet to see a single one of them wear a Hamas headband or do anything but mind their own business and do their job.  One of the guys I work with is from Iran, and even though he sides with the Palestinians more than the Israelis, he seems to be a pretty solid dude and says nothing but good things about America.  We argue all the time about Israel, but he has made it quite clear that he hates terrorists, and I believe him.  I never knew this, but Iranians think of arabs as filthy animals!  (according to him).

I can't tell you what kind of rhetoric the professors are spewing out in class because I don't enter the classrooms when class is in session, but I do overhear a lot of conversations between professors in the hallway, breakroom, etc.  The ones who seem to be the most anti-American are of the "do-gooders out to save the world" and are almost always white.

YMMV, but this is what I've seen with my own two eyes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does 13.4% of 1 Billion work out to? More than a few, esp given their general intolerance and extremism.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#49]
There's a Muslim guy where I work.  He's really quiet but then again, he works far away from me and reports to his boss 1000+ miles away at headquarters... so he doesn't really interact much with everyone else because there's no need to.  I went to lunch with him a couple days ago.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#50]
IBTL.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top