BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2004 11:43:53 PM EDT
October 04, 2004

Beer-for-troops Web site gets the kibosh

By Vince Crawley
Times staff writer

Whatever you do, don’t buy them a beer.

Military authorities have told a group of enterprising troops in Iraq that their Web site violates federal regulations that prohibit service members from asking for donations.

So the site now touts itself as “The Web site where you cannot buy us a beer (www.beerforsoldiers.com/).”

The site’s former owner, Staff Sgt. Dale Rogers of the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, says he was receiving a few hundred dollars per month and used the money to buy brew for unit members while on leave from the combat zone.

“No, you cannot buy us a beer! Don’t buy us beer! The legal folks said you can’t,” Rogers said in the latest incarnation of his Web site, posted over the weekend.

Until late September, the site developed something of a cult following with its tongue-in-cheek request for patriotic beer money. Rogers said his effort was mainly a way to boost morale for troops in combat, who can’t drink alcohol while in Iraq.

At first, he tried complying with the order by transferring ownership of the site to his nonmilitary brother “due to legal pukes who say a soldier cannot solicit beer donations to increase the morale of his fellow soldiers. What a crock! But I am a soldier and I have to comply. I have ceased and desisted.”

However, a few days later, the Web site ruefully announced that it could no longer accept any donations. Still, site visitors are invited to a post-tour beer bash at Fort Carson, Colo., where the unit is due to rotate next year after the troops finish their Iraq stint.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The guy on the right...
Uh..
Never mind.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, no kidding, he should be licking an M16...

Quoted:
The guy on the right...
Uh..
Never mind.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:11:40 AM EDT
[#4]
The funny thing is...

When I was in, I felt like a adult, now that Im older, I know I was just a kid....

Looking at them, they look like kids....

But Im wrong, they are Men!....

Let them have their beer!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:31:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Those three may look like psychos, but at least they have good trigger control.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes.  Indeed they are men.  Those high spirited young troops protect our freedoms.

I recall being just as enthusiastic and carefree when I was 19 and on the DMZ.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The guy on the right...
Uh..
Never mind.

WHATEVER DUDE!!! Say what you like, if you got a free 249 and ammo to feed it, you'd be doing some disturbing shit too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#8]
bump
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  Indeed they are men.  Those high spirited young troops protect our freedoms.

I recall being just as enthusiastic and carefree when I was 19 and on the DMZ.

yep when your young you do all sorts of stupid stuff that the army could in no way get someone over 30 to do

son do you want to jump out of a plane, "HELL YA"
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I would gladly jump out of a plane...too bad my battalion had no intention of sending anyone to jump school.

oh wait I am only 29.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#11]
 Good stuff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top