Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2001 6:09:57 PM EDT
OK riddle me this:  Why is it when you pop the top on a longneck beer, the beer inside usually behaves itself.  Then when you take a big swig, the remainder bubbles up and foams outta the top of the damn bottle?

Man I hate wasting beer!  Surely one of you scientific types know the answer to this stupid question.

[beer]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Just take it all in one swig.. You will not have that problem. Or at least after awhile you will not care.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The diameter of a Longneck gets larger as the level of the beer drops.

So, if you take a big swig, the carbonation is activated and the resulting bubbles that form start to produce a reaction.

The bubbles then try to expand from a larger area - the larger bottle diameter under the neck, into a narrowing area - the neck itself - and if you tried to suff 5 pounds of sand in a 3 pound sack well here's my take on it......the rule we learned in Mr. Ralf Pettit's 11th grade Physics class, "no two objects can occupy the same space at the same time", hold true here,those bubbles have to go somewhere, and a smaller area to occupy means that they go all over you or all over the bar.

Now if someone can tell dumb ass me, why "very cold" beer produces less bubbles than just "cold" beer does, my night will be complete.

[:D]

Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Now if someone can tell dumb ass me, why "very cold" beer produces less bubbles than just "cold" beer does, my night will be complete.

View Quote

Warmer it is = More a Liquid solvent can hold a Solid solute (i.e. Water and sugar)
Colder it is = More a Liquid solvent can hold a Gas solute (i.e. Water and CO2 carbonation)

Basically, a warm cup of tea can dissolve more sugar in the same way a cold beer can dissolve more CO2 bubbles.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
[img]www.webdeveloper.com/animations/bnifiles/sexy.gif[/img]

MMMMMM...  BEER.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks... I've never asked but always wondered.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top