Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2016 10:20:34 AM EDT
So I think I have a problem with mold in the house. Might be in the AC vents. call a pro, rip them out and replace (soft vents), or is there something I can do to clean them out myself?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:26:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2016 10:26:26 AM EDT by SilverSlinger]
Get a monkey with a rope tied around its waist, wearing a homemade vest of Lysol wipes. Send him down the lines. Yank him back.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:26:13 AM EDT
Have you had it tested first?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:32:44 AM EDT
guess I need to call someone in. When I first moved in I had wallpaper in the bathroom. when I pulled it off there was black spots all over the drywall.

I sprayed it all down with bleach and then painted over it. (I had been getting sick, then felt better after)

Been sick since we turned the AC on for the season, I had some mold show up in the shower and cleaned it up. but now im getting alot worse. pulled the vent down and instantly felt my sinuses and ears filling up.

I guess I will call someone in to take a look at it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:33:57 AM EDT
Find what's causing the moisture problem and fix that.

Unless you dry the place out, you'll never stop the mold.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:34:10 AM EDT
I would have your air tested first. You can buy kits on the internet or hire a pro.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:35:43 AM EDT
I did the home mold tests. you just vacuum some stuff up like a rug or couch area. mail it in. Less than a week you have your results.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:39:56 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKCory762:
I did the home mold tests. you just vacuum some stuff up like a rug or couch area. mail it in. Less than a week you have your results.
View Quote

How does that work? Do they look for a certain type of mold? Mold spores are everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:43:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By hooligan223:

How does that work? Do they look for a certain type of mold? Mold spores are everywhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I would imagine if you have a mold problem its going to be much more prevalent in the house than a mold spore here or there.

They tell you what kind of mold is found and break everything down in the analysis. I was impressed for under $50 total.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:45:10 AM EDT
Its the master bath, Very small bathroom with no vent fan. I got the fan to Install but didnt get it in before the weather got cold. been sick or raining since it got warm so I havent installed it yet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:47:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SilverSlinger:
Get a monkey with a rope tied around its waist, wearing a homemade vest of Lysol wipes. Send him down the lines. Yank him back.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:50:13 AM EDT
Symptoms?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:04:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2016 11:07:46 AM EDT by carpesignum]
Mainly congestion and a nasty cough (coughing fits where I end up blacking out and dry heaving, some light colored blood) fever at the beginning. I am trying my best to keep everything clear but every now and then it is yellow/greenish.

Intermittent issues (may or may not have anything to do with this) include swollen itchy eyes, I noticed while taking photos I cannot focus and see blurred images when I use auto focus, but pictures come out crisp when I check on my comp. After the worst of the coughing fits I have stomach issues.

I have noticed I have been sweating when others are comfortable and I am comfortable when others are hot, but haven't seen a fever in about 5 weeks. (I check my temp when I think I might have one)

I have been on 2 rounds of antibiotics, all sorts of allergy and cold meds, nothing seems to help. on steroids now.

Edit: No one else at home or work have been sick. so it seems to just be me. I went out to the grand canyon with a buddy of mine around the end of april, he got sick and eventually kicked it, while it could be related, I dont think it is.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:06:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By carpesignum:

(coughing fits where I end up blacking out and dry heaving, some light colored blood)

View Quote

holy shit, what does your doctor think is causing it?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:08:10 AM EDT
doc keeps saying allergies.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:12:17 AM EDT

I would imagine if you have a mold problem its going to be much more prevalent in the house than a mold spore here or there.

They tell you what kind of mold is found and break everything down in the analysis. I was impressed for under $50 total.
View All Quotes

That's how my home inspector described it to me. Mold presence is everywhere, it's the volume that the tests and you should be concerned about.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:13:16 AM EDT
View Quote

These are a scam. They provide no baseline for comparative analysis. How do you know what normal mold levels are in your area? just like the little plates you can buy at Home Depot that you open and leave on the counter to collect airborne spores. They will always find mold because mold is everywhere. If it wasn't for mold we would be up to our necks in dead grass and trees. Full disclosure: I used to work for a environmental laboratory.

Can mold make you sick? Absolutely. But unless you FIRST deal with the moisture problem allowing the mold to grow, you will not solve your problem. And just an FYI, if you kill the mold without removing it (just spray with bleach, etc.) the spores are still there and are still an allergen.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:16:17 AM EDT
Not that you mentioned this, but just an FYI "DO NOT CONTACT YOUR HOME OWNERS INS CARRIER for anything about this"
Many policies have a clause about mold.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:17:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2016 11:18:52 AM EDT by hooligan223]
View Quote

Lots of people around here have been diagnosed with "allegeries"' that have never had an issue before. I don't know if something is going around or something is different this year that is causing these problems. But even if your issue isn't mold related you should really try to get that exhaust fan installed as soon as you can or at least open the window while you shower.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:19:05 AM EDT
BIL was sick like this, went to DR who said it was mold. He was living in an old mobile home on his property, got the new house done, no sickness.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:48:03 AM EDT
I have the next few days off from work (not sure if its a good thing or not) but I am hoping to get the fan installed and wired this afternoon, and next day we get without rain I am going to punch a hole in the roof and run the exhaust line. (not going to use it until the vent line is hooked up)
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:50:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SilverSlinger:
View Quote

Vent monkey FTW!!! just be sure to hire the guy with the spider monkey, that other guy with the chimp is useless....
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:50:39 AM EDT
Rub some dirt on it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:54:54 AM EDT
Its the master bath, Very small bathroom with no vent fan. I got the fan to Install but didnt get it in before the weather got cold. been sick or raining since it got warm so I havent installed it yet.
View Quote

Wait. Master Bath. Very small bathroom? Doesn't make sense. Mastr baths are usually pretty good sized to at least average size.
You have a vent but haven't installed it? How about open the window an inch or 2.
Code here requires either an operable window or electric vent, preferably both for bathrooms.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:00:45 PM EDT

Lots of people around here have been diagnosed with "allegeries"' that have never had an issue before. I don't know if something is going around or something is different this year that is causing these problems. But even if your issue isn't mold related you should really try to get that exhaust fan installed as soon as you can or at least open the window while you shower.
View All Quotes

I'm a couple states over and I've also been sick on and off for months. I think it's all the rain we've had. I've never had an allegery problem until this year.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:10:04 PM EDT
I'd call in a pro, do some air quality and surface testing against the baseline outdoors and see what they say. They should also inspect the home for the areas that are affected and develop a remediation protocol.

varying types of mold spores affect different people differently' however the lab will be able to see what types are present and which ones may be causing you harm.

I have run into this before, where one person in the family will be affected by the conditions in the home, but the other family members are not. We did find mold and did proper remediation and the health problems stopped.

what you don't want to do is just start demo'ing the affected areas. you'll spread spores throughout the home and all the contents causing a massive cost for cleaning. massive.

As stated earlier, it's one thing to kill the mold, it's another to remove the spores that are potentially actually causing you health problems and another to fix the source of the problem.

bite the bullet and call in a pro, have it taken care of the right way. it'll cost you less long term than going at yourself again and again and the money and time spent on the related health issues
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:10:17 PM EDT
Master bath has a toilet, sink, and small walk in shower. 4x8' max.

I picked the fan up to install last year and the weather turned cold before I could install it. Didnt want to mess with the shingles while they were cold.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:13:36 PM EDT
Typically we run spore traps both inside the dwelling and outside (upwind) to get baseline data. As stated mold, yeasts and fungi are everywhere. Its the difference between inside and outside that matters. It also has alot to do with personal sensitivity and thats the kicker. What doesnt bother 10 other people, might send you into spasms and coughing fits. Have you been Dr tested for allergies? You should if you cough so bad you "black out".

There are some molds that cause extreme sensitivity and are considered "more" dangerous than others ie Stacky. DONT have a mold remediation contractor test even if they do it for free. They will always find a problem they will need to remediate and have you pay for. Actual regulated "clean air levels" dont exist like they do in the asbestos and lead abatement industry so determining "clean air" is problematic especially with individual tolerance and sensitivity. Although some states have recommened post clean up levels.

You have to fix the humidity/water issue first and foremost. Then bleach the crap out of it. You can also use specialty fungicides and use "killz" type paints to cover them up after treatment.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:14:04 PM EDT
Find and fix the water source.
PPE should be used at all times.
Isolate the mold affected areas via poly sheeting and tape (contain the room). HEPA filtration and negative air pressure (vent filter from inside the containment to outside causing vacuum inside the containment) should be utilized.
Cut out all moldy material 18-24” beyond the visible mold. Physically abrade the framing (sand or wire brush). Vacuum all debris. Wet wipe all areas with an antimicrobial agent.

Don’t waste your money with the home test kits. Mold is everywhere. A pro takes samples inside and outside and compares the samples. They expect to find the same types and counts. When the inside has more or different types than outside, that is how they determine it is a problem. All mold types are treated the same as far as remediation. A few, like Stachybotrys (black slime), have mycotoxins. They are bad shit. Avoid disturbing it. Stachy is common in home mold situations. It is the result of a long term leak.
Bleach is mostly water. All bleach does is get the area wet. There are much better things to use.
If the structure was built prior to 1980, asbestos is a concern.
HVAC cleaning should be done professionally.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:27:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:24:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2016 1:26:13 PM EDT by SouthpawAR]
I went through this, but without the illness. Mold, but it looks just like thick coats of dust piling up around AC vents.
A mold remediation company will clean ducts like crazy while keeping the home low mold, and they'll fix the residual mold around the house that the AC distributed everywhere. Then they'll paint the inside of the ducts with white mold killing paint so the mold won't come back.
I had a mold issue at work and the office had a weird non-offensive mild odor to it, and now that's gone.
I paid roughly 5K for a big office/warehouse with 3 AC units.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:59:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

Ozone generators will kill mold.

Your local Servpro will be able to come in and put a machine in your home.

If it's bad enough that it needs more than that, they'd be the company that would be able to tell you.

That's what they do for a living.

I imagine that they'd be more than happy to come out to your place and give you a free estimate.

View Quote

fyi, just treating with ozone won't remove the spores that are actually causing the illness. Also, unless the cause of the problem is fixed, the mold will continue to grow.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:05:43 PM EDT
use a panasonic fan with a fantech gasket equipped in line damper and vent it to a vented soffit
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:28:06 PM EDT
That mold remediation is expensive. Cheaper just to suffer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:04:50 PM EDT
A mold problem nearly killed my wife. She had coughing fits exactly like OP described. She has permanently scarred lungs and reduced lung function as a result. Do not take this lightly. I ended up bulldozing my house and building another. We lived in a travel trailer while we built the new house. My wife was noticeably better within a week of being out of the house.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:08:44 PM EDT
How much did it cost to knock it down and start fresh? been considering it for multiple other reasons. I hate the house but love the location.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:24:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2016 3:26:45 PM EDT by chadjetlag]
It was a very old 800 square foot farm house. (Think hand dug well old). I had to pay for asbestos removal, bulldozing, and debris removal + build a new house around 200k all together. New house is much bigger with 100% less mold and no crawlspace.

If you are hacking up blood you need to GTFO yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:31:13 PM EDT
Mold sucks. At one point I was a certified mold inspector. The tests involve collecting samples and sending them in to be analyzed, but as others have said there were no baselines.

In Sweden they have specially trained mold dogs (mögelhund) so the last time I was back there I tried to buy a Swedish mold inspector's mold dog. She was quite offended that I tried to buy her dog.

They work great, they can sniff out the problem areas quite well.
Top Top