Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2010 10:42:46 AM EDT
5 years of Army active duty 13B, Honorable Discharge as an E-5, but I have been out 11 years this month and I am 35 years old this month also.  Almost went back in 2 years ago but just before I swore in we realized there was an error in the paperwork and instead of a 4 year enlistment with bonus, they could only do a 6 year.  That was 2 years more than the wife could stand.  Now she is second guessing it and told me she was sorry she stopped me.  I have a good job working for a family business, so it isn't the money.

Is it too late for me to consider going back in?  11 years is a long time and I guess that means retraining of some sort, some loss of rank?  Are there still any bonuses out there for old artillery guys?
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=77&t=1077586

Couple of us have done it recently.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Just talked to the Go Guard and 11 years out of service is too long for Georgia National Guard.

He said SC might be an option since I live close to there, waiting on the response about that.  Or there is Active Duty or the Reservers maybe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
you can do it, but you will have to go through basic training again.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you can do it, but you will have to go through basic training again.

What?

Must be a state thing.  I was out 10 years and a little less than a month, and I didn't.

OP, check the USAR.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Was told I will have to go through WTC (Warrior Transition Course).  35 days, kind of like a basic training for old soldiers and people changing branches to the Army.  Doesn't look too bad, but wake up is 0430 and lights out is 2000.  WTC soldiers in-process with new soldiers but WTC are allowed cell phones and laptops for use on personal time.  PT score required is 60 points in each catagory.

Then I have to go to MOS school to reclass.  I am checking with the Guard to see if I can find a slot with them, I really prefer combat arms and it would be nice to avoid MOS school.

They also have to do a grade determination to see if I will loose any rank.  Got out as an E-5, and the recruiter said it was a 50/50 change I would go back as an E-4.  Hopefully all my millitary schools and time in grade will keep me as an E-5.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I joined the NYARNG three years ago after a 12 year break in service. I kept my rank (E5), and didn't need to attend WTS. Three years ago they were much more hard up for bodies, so that may have had something to do with it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:57:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a 7 year break.  One of my buddies who is now the armorer at a unit at Ft. huachuca had a 21 year break.  He is one of my assistant handgun instructors.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I went back in after 9/11 with a almost 12yr break in service and i didnt have to go through anything...but things may have changed. The Guard was nice enough to send me to Iraq twice in 5yrs
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Lets talk about GRAP....................
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:56:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lets talk about GRAP....................

I had the first reply, he's mine, you greedy bastard...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:01:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Thought I had a GRAP at a local unit, but he spoke to his unit and said there were no slots in Georgia and I had to find a unit in SC.  Too late for another one now since I have already been talking to a recruiter since then.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Doesn't matter. GRAP is completely separate from the recruiter's mission. All you need to do is drop a name. They may make you use someone from the SCNG, but it's not too late.

Quoted:
Thought I had a GRAP at a local unit, but he spoke to his unit and said there were no slots in Georgia and I had to find a unit in SC.  Too late for another one now since I have already been talking to a recruiter since then.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Dont let someone miss out on 2K.......seriously give someone a bone that you know...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting, any unit or does GRAP need to be from a local unit?  

New list of open slots come out Oct 1st, should find out something then.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I can GRAP anyone to any unit in NY state. I don't know if I can recommend someone to CT or NJ.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#16]
We had a former E5 Marine who got out in '84 join up with my Guard unit in '05.  You can imagine what that was like.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just talked to the Go Guard and 11 years out of service is too long for Georgia National Guard.

I was out for 18 yrs and joined the guard unit in Savannah without a problem after 9/11. I got the rank I had when I got out of the regular Army. I then transferred back to my home state of FL after a year without a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top