Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2016 12:18:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2016 12:22:39 AM EDT by Rickesis]
I've been keeping a suppressed SBR between my bed and nightstand leaning against the wall since I moved into my house a couple months ago.  Since my daughter is starting to get into things (turned 1 today ), I've kept an empty chamber.

I've never been happy with it just leaning against the wall, and now I'm looking for a way to keep it there securely such that I can keep a round chambered.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:21:38 AM EDT
Gun rack above bedroom doorway
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:23:59 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mad_mardigan:
View Quote

This or some variation, have you seen the "pallet" wall art gun storage things?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:24:32 AM EDT
Whatever solution you come up with,
It's never too early to start teaching your kid gun safety.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:25:10 AM EDT
View Quote

To keep it hot, I can't really think of a better way. Maybe above the door on the inside of a closet. Your sidearm should be with you all the time, fight to your rifle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:25:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:26:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By naludiablo:
It's never too early to start teaching your kid gun safety
View Quote

This!!!

And a happy, healthy Birthday to the little angel!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:26:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2016 12:34:43 AM EDT by fishthefish]
I've seen a couple. Never use one.

Google ar15 lock.

https://firearmpros.com/truckvault-shotlock-ar-style-carbine.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CJLswf_Y0MoCFRCqaQodEN0Grw

http://arma15.com/products

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/wallmountedwoodenjewelryarmoire.cfm?redirect=false&source=pla&kwid=JewelryArmoires_ewb074&tid=EWB074-3&adtype=pla&kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=EWB074-3&gclid=CO3rxcDZ0MoCFQuLaQodmUECvQ

https://tacticalwalls.com/shop/842-rls/

http://www.roughcountryrusticfurniture.com
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:26:52 AM EDT
Im in a the same position though im leaning toward a hook on the wall higher than my daughters ability to reach.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:27:35 AM EDT
they make those safes that mount inside the wall between the studs....maybe a bit conspicuous in a bedroom, but...you were asking for ideas.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:31:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2016 12:37:27 AM EDT by buck19delta]
Originally Posted By Rickesis:
I've been keeping a suppressed SBR between my bed and nightstand leaning against the wall since I moved into my house a couple months ago.  Since my daughter is starting to get into things (turned 1 today ), I've kept an empty chamber.

I've never been happy with it just leaning against the wall, and now I'm looking for a way to keep it there securely such that I can keep a round chambered.

Any ideas?
View Quote

a small safe with digital combo.....

id just keep the chamber empty... other than a safe, not much you can do to have a loaded gun, in a way a kid cant reach it... at least with a empty chamber you dont have to worry about them shooting it, as they cant work the action.

i did this with my kids... along with tons of gun safety.. as soon as they were old enough to chamber a round,/ work the slide on a glock,  i bought a safe and kept EVERYTHING, except my ccw locked up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:33:58 AM EDT
View Quote

I agree 100%.  She's beginning to gain an appreciation for the word "no."  That's about as good as I can do at this point, but she'll be familiar with them soon enough.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:34:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tacocat:
Im in a the same position though im leaning toward a hook on the wall higher than my daughters ability to reach.
View Quote

Toddlers climb, and they are ingenious little bastards to figure out ways to climb.

OP, I would strap it to the wall with something that a toddler simply doesn't have the strength to undo, like those hood latches for jeeps.
You can undo those in a heartbeat, but a toddler can't. I would also make sure it is pointed in a safe direction so that if your daughter starts finger fucking it, and it goes off, it won't hurt anybody. If you can, point it to your right if you are looking at it, so the safety is against the wall.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:37:02 AM EDT
Lock the mag in a gun vault safe in the bedside table?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:38:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

id just keep the chamber empty... other than a safe, not much you can do to have a loaded gun, in a way a kid cant reach it... at least with a empty chamber you dont have to worry about them shooting it, as they cant work the action.

i did this with my kids... along with tons of gun safety.. as soon as they were old enough to chamber a round,/ work the slide on a glock,  i bought a safe and kept EVERYTHING, except my ccw locked up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

Any ideas?

Understood.  The ideal situation would be the have a loaded gun to minimize noise on my end, but safety first and all that.

For some reason, I remember you posting a ride-a-long thread when I was still lurking the site.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:39:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fishthefish:
View Quote

That would definitely work, but at 1yo, I think keeping the mag outside the gun anywhere would be just as effective.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:40:49 AM EDT

Any ideas?
View Quote

What is your definition of secure?

You can chamber a round faster than you can get into a safe, or take some sort of lock off.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:42:24 AM EDT
I had envisioned a box (perhaps constructed of wood) anchored to the floor.  It would be just big enough and deep enough to receive the gun past the trigger.  Then maybe a bungee cord around the mag well or some other means to secure it that the baby could not override.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:42:40 AM EDT
Tactical walls
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:43:51 AM EDT
View Quote

Y

Mine is 5, we grill her on never touch a gun with out permission.  I helped her shoot a milk jug full of water so she could see it explode to express to her what a bullet can do to a person, she knows never touch guns without mom or dad, never touch the trigger, never point guns.  It's pretty funny to watch her tote her little c Ickes rifle around pointed straight up in the air. But, I do not keep a round in the chamber in anything in the house or in my truck, my cc weapon I load and unload when I take it off/put it on.  Truck gun is loaded but not chambered just like the others in the house.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:44:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MinnFinn:

You can chamber a round faster than you can get into a safe, or take some sort of lock off.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MinnFinn:

Any ideas?

Secure is something that keeps a toddler from accessing the trigger.

That's true, but I'm not a huge fan of having to charge the gun as it's near impossible to do so quietly.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:45:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LFR787:

Tactical walls
View Quote

Came to post this
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:46:26 AM EDT
What about one of those American flag/gun holders that I see every day on facebook.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:49:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By dempsy1:

Y

Mine is 5, we grill her on never touch a gun with out permission.  I helped her shoot a milk jug full of water so she could see it explode to express to her what a bullet can do to a person, she knows never touch guns without mom or dad, never touch the trigger, never point guns.  It's pretty funny to watch her tote her little c Ickes rifle around pointed straight up in the air. But, I do not keep a round in the chamber in anything in the house or in my truck, my cc weapon I load and unload when I take it off/put it on.  Truck gun is loaded but not chambered just like the others in the house.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dempsy1:

Y

I've been shooting guns since I was 5 as well.  She'll be squared away when the time comes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:52:01 AM EDT

That would definitely work, but at 1yo, I think keeping the mag outside the gun anywhere would be just as effective.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fishthefish:

Plan for the future my friend. Before you know it they will be 6.

This one is pretty cool, can be ordered with a magnetic lock. And dosent scream gun. Above the headboard it would look pretty good.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/255956841/patriotic-deluxe-american-concealment
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:53:06 AM EDT
Dtiguy beat me to it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:53:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Zirak:
http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes/defense-vault/

Or similar?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:53:17 AM EDT
V-Line Industries Closet Vault

Very happy with the products from V-Line. We keep our home defense pistol secured in one of these, round in the chamber and ready to go.

Secure, but nearly instantly available. No keys, no batteries, no dials.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:54:24 AM EDT
I have this "Gunvault" type thing (electronic keypad access) which holds 1 rifle.

I keep my "go to" AR in it, under my bed.

Can't remember who makes it, but I'll dig out the paperwork on it tomorrow and update this post.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:55:36 AM EDT
Why not leave the rifle out in the open, bolt retracted. Leave a loaded pistol and rifle magazine in a small bedside safe.

Something happens, you have immediate access to a loaded pistol and the rifle is quick to make ready.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:56:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cmeyer001:
V-Line Industries Closet Vault

Very happy with the products from V-Line. We keep our home defense pistol secured in one of these, round in the chamber and ready to go.

Secure, but nearly instantly available. No keys, no batteries, no dials.
View Quote

I'm not sure this solves my primary issue, but I like this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:58:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FlatDarkEarf:
Why not leave the rifle out in the open, bolt retracted. Leave a loaded pistol and rifle magazine in a small bedside safe.

Something happens, you have immediate access to a loaded pistol and the rifle is quick to make ready.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:00:50 AM EDT
There are many more solutions for handguns than for rifles, even short barreled rifles.

Get a small fast access safe and switch to a handgun for fast access stuff. If you feel compelled to have something more substantial, buy a transferable Uzi or HK sear (mated to an mp5k host).

If you really need 5.56 by the bed, there are a few biometric or electronic keypad safes you might want to consider.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:04:05 AM EDT
Tagged for ideas. I use a trigger lock and empty chamber, but I know there are better solutions.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:09:24 AM EDT

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:13:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DTIguy:
What about one of those American flag/gun holders that I see every day on facebook.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/17/81/09/1781097706aea788d49b061a28eca93f.jpg

View Quote

/You could use something like this, but make it so that it is hard to open up. That way it's close and accessible to you but not your little one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:19:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:27:58 AM EDT
View Quote

I could just imagine the response my wife would have if my AR fell out on her forehead when we were heaving personal time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:39:49 AM EDT

I could just imagine the response my wife would have if my AR fell out on her forehead when we were heaving personal time.
View All Quotes

If you want to impress her, put something interesting in it.

Every good woman will take pause should an FNC fall out of the headboard while lovemaking is under way.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:43:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2016 1:45:04 AM EDT by stascom]
I wonder if there are biometric wall mounts. Like a typical horizontal rack with a crossbar. But the crossbar is locked with finger print scan.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:00:50 AM EDT
View Quote

This.   Our 8 year old and 3 year old got very early lessons.  We are still very very careful about gun safety in the house and making sure not to leave things just laying around.  But we've also made it very clear what to do when you see one laying out.

If you truly want an accessible gun for the "what if" situation, there will be some small amount of overlap between 100% locked up and out of reach, and in reach but still safe and secure.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:21:48 AM EDT
GD so I know it's not what you asked but for a toddler you don't have to worry about them figuring out how to charge the weapon.

Magazine in, empty chamber is the way I roll for young kids in the house.

Your house so whatever but knowing that most 10 year olds don't have the grip strength to chamber a semi-auto pistol, that's my choice.

Otherwise just rig something up that isolates/secures the lower.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:29:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2016 2:30:09 AM EDT by Tech-Com]
No toddlers in my house, but here is my retro lamp. The handle can't be charged until gun is pulled out of base. In the future the stock can be locked into the base if need be.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:56:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jro:

To keep it hot, I can't really think of a better way. Maybe above the door on the inside of a closet. Your sidearm should be with you all the time, fight to your rifle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jro:

That is a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:46:03 PM EDT
Your sidearm should be with you all the time, fight to your rifle.
View Quote

With toddlers in the home I would probably want a free hand for opening doors, rounding up kids, etc. and go with a handgun for primary HD. My shotgun and rifle stay loaded in the safe and that is the direction my wife would be heading. The handgun is easier to store and very accessible right next to my pillow. Still my plan today even with all the kids grown and gone.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:57:24 PM EDT
I bought a stack on cabinet for my bedroom in addition to my safe.  I open it when I goto bed I lock it when I wake up and dress with my ccw.

I keep minimal things in there. Basically longgun reload and a hunting gun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:33:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FAS1:

With toddlers in the home I would probably want a free hand for opening doors, rounding up kids, etc. and go with a handgun for primary HD. My shotgun and rifle stay loaded in the safe and that is the direction my wife would be heading. The handgun is easier to store and very accessible right next to my pillow. Still my plan today even with all the kids grown and gone.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7TckgI3-pMU/VRFlHla2LuI/AAAAAAAAAas/9r1aS5sK_lE/s519/DontWakeTheBaby.jpg

View All Quotes

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7TckgI3-pMU/VRFlHla2LuI/AAAAAAAAAas/9r1aS5sK_lE/s519/DontWakeTheBaby.jpg

What safe is this?  Been trying to debate the pros cons of beside safes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:39:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2016 9:47:56 PM EDT by ispeed]
This is what I'm currently looking at with the same situation you are in (a corner safe that holds 1 gun, maybe two if you took out the shelf.)  4 year old in the house ... my thoughts are to open the safe every night before going to bed and just closing it in the morning.  I saw one last year in our local walmart and didn't give it much thought, but I think I can bolt it the walls and floors so that it would be relatively difficult to steal.  This could give some protection to the gun from a curious child while still providing quiet access at night in case the need arose.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/478/HDC11E_Home_Defense_Center

eta:  look at the gallery photos to get a better idea than the pic on top.
eta 2:  looking at the website it says it has been discontinued.  There is a small shop near me that still has one on display, so if you decide to go this route you may to do some searching.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:46:43 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Same here

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:50:35 PM EDT
View Quote

This! I taught both of my kids at 5 & 7 about firearm safety. I spent a whole month telling them every day about not touching any firearm unless mom or dad hands to them. Then I tested them by leaving inert firearms in the bedroom, living room, and kitchen. They never touched them, they would come to me and say "Daddy, you should put our guns in the safe". That's when I knew they understood the rules of firearm safety. It's all about repetition, and always reinforcing the rules. They are 16 & 18 now, and I never had any problems in all of those years.

When kids think something is mystical, they will break the rules to find out what it is. When you teach them the dangers, and consequences of handling a dangerous item, they will follow your rules. Take the interest of the unknown away, it's really that easy. Oh, and lock your shit up, no matter how confident you are.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:58:03 PM EDT
I've asked myself this question over and over and still haven't settled on "best."  Lot's of great ideas in this thread. Thanks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top