Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2002 3:33:20 PM EDT
Hello,
  I figure I'd ask some actual LEO's before taking classes/etc:

Generally speaking, what is needed to become a law enforcement officer?

I am 28, no criminal convictions of any sort, no drug use of any sort, excellent shape, 6+ years in the tech industry, and am currently employed.

I am looking to get out of the tech field. The money is good, but it is an incredibly unrewarding field to be in. Like I said, the money is good, but there is NO sense of accomplishment or satisfaction. Out of high-school, I was about to attend a community college LEO academy, but I sort of fell into computer work, and want to get out before I am saddled with wife/kids/etc ;)

I have no college degree, only IT industry certifications.

Is there a reasonable course of action I could take to become a LEO? I see that there are differing requirements for different departments. Not having any degree, would I be very limited in my options?

Are their cities or departments where I could qualify without the college degree?

I work midnights here in Michigan, so it is easy for me to get to a P.D. and ask some questions; Are cops generally receptive to some questions regarding becoming an officer?

Thanks in advance for any pointers/tips you may give me!

Link Posted: 4/1/2002 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Doorgunner is right. (try www.officer.com for links to agencies)
I would also suggest that you get ahold of a couple of different agencies in your area, and see if they have ride-a-long programs.  This will give you something of a real feel for what the job involves.  Just as importantly, it will give you a chance to talk to an officer for a decent period of time.  The officer should be able to provide more info on what you need to do in your area, and  who to contact for more information.

Good Luck!
dp
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The ride-along is a good idea, i would call around and do one with the local pd and the so in the area you decide you want to work in. be prepared for a possibly long hiring process and dont get discuraged it takes a year to get hired around here.

good luck

tnrifleman
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a college degree, or at least start working on one.

You will not go far in law enforcement today without one.

Sure, you could be a career Private, but believe me, the fun wears off after 5 to 7 years.

Of course, I’m old school, now retired. What do I know?

Mike
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Ignore the [:K]

He has been exposed on other threads.

Do a search.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I see.

The little coward has deleted his post.

His name is “kentstate4" for those who missed it.

Mike

Edited to add - Hmm, I’m now thinking that happened really fast. Smells like a mod to me - if so THANK YOU mod.  

Mike
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help.

Officer.com is a great site, thanks for the heads-up. You'd think that spending as much time as I do on the net that I would have dug it up :)

It seems that several local PD's will offer a ride-along according to the local newspaper archives, so I'll be looking into that.

Again, I sincerly appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't get too bent out of shape because you don't technically have a degree.  Most departments prefer some type of degree but don't mandate one.  I'm sure having your ITT certifications will count for something.  Being computer savvy helps with practically every career field.

If you're told you're not qualified because of lack of schooling then either take some criminal justice classes or look for another department.  Nationwide there's a lack of interest in the LE field.  Most people (unlike yourself) would rather get a college degree so they can make big bucks in other professions.

It all comes down to how you present yourself.  Give the written test 110%.  Push yourself a little harder when you excercise.  Present a clean and neat appearance throughout the entire application process (you'd be amazed at how many applicants wear jeans and Lynrd Skynrd t-shirts).  Above all, be confident.  A person who can talk about themselves well (not arrogantly) will almost always be hired before someone who's very shy or sheepesh.  If you're required to take a polygraph, do not lie about anything, no matter how trivial you may think it is.

One more thing, do not get disappointed if you don't make it your first time.  Many departments like to see an applicant reapply.  Reapplying shows you're not easily discouraged and that you really want the job.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#9]
hey tomislav,

good for you! i'm with ya. i'm leaving my occupation (designer) to go into LE too. i thought the best way for me to start was getting into a reserve unit & gobble up some experience.
i learn more & more each time i go out. i love it!!

as for the degree...double check. some depts require college credits that may be equivelint to a degree. i know it sounds weird, but it makes sense. some folks have a crap load of credits earned before they figure out what they want a degree in.

anyway, just thought i'd throw my .02 in.

only thing that's going to suck, is the waiting before getting hired. (like TNrifleman said)

good luck to you
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Flashman,

I must have missed the troll, "kentstate4."  I don't delete troll posts.  I send them a nice email/IM message and post a "request" for the troll to clean up their own handiwork.  Most do.  Those who don't generally don't last long on AR15.com.

Wave or doorgunner may have gotten him, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top