Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 7:44:53 PM EDT
So a thread got me thinking, I have few passions in life, firearms and off roading and have thought for awhile now of pursuing a career in firearms, not just some run of the mill gun shop, they're tons of those, but maybe dabbling in the class 3 area. Is that a profitable market? or is it like the rest of the firearms industry where insurance usually is the real killer? And wanting to get into it usually proves you're a closet masochis?t
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
There just isn't enough volume on the Class 3 side of the business to make a living. Ruben, OTB and some others in FL have a lot of Class 3 wrapped up. You'd have trouble buying firearms for less then they can or even finding sources of SMG's as well as they do.

I'm considering it, not for profit (so much) but for the stuff. If I make a little money, fine. But I'm not going to cover my $25K monthly nut selling machine guns legally
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
First you should contact the BATFE and get a copy of their regulation book. You have to get your FFL before you can get your SOT.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Not profitable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not profitable.

.........and 80% of your business will be suppressors or non C3
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
And arfcom smashes another dream

I appreciate the responses
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]
It was profitable for me. I went C3 right as Vector was into their 2nd year of the Uzi's. I bought 7 of them and sat on them until they ran out at Vector. Within a week the asking prices doubled. I paid $2300 for the full size guns and sold my first one for $5k. The last 2 went for $7.5k. Now they are gone and there is nothing left to buy at a good price.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I wouldn't give up that easy.

I had mine for ten years.  I didn't make a profit but I made some really good friends, educated a lot of people on Class 3/Title 2 weapons, and made enough money to cover my cost of the FFL and SOT.

Don't do it for the money.

Do it because you want to.

-Arbiter

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't give up that easy.

I had mine for ten years.  I didn't make a profit but I made some really good friends, educated a lot of people on Class 3/Title 2 weapons, and made enough money to cover my cost of the FFL and SOT.

Don't do it for the money.

Do it because you want to.

-Arbiter

I made enough money on C3 stuff to pay for my SOT for the next 62 years! I also went C3 to be able to own MG's as it is the only way to do it in Illinois. If you want to make money you really need to watch the sale boards on Sturm and Bowers though. Otherwise you'll end up paying too much.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been profitable every year.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
"How do you end up with $1,000,000.00 in the gun business?"
"Start with $2,000,000.00."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top