BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:04:57 AM EDT
2.5i engine
CVT

What's the reliability?  I keep finding favorable reviews, but can't find too much bad.  Surely there is bad.
Upsides or downsides from current/former owners is very welcome.
Hopefully, it attracts lesbians.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Love my 2011 outback.  It's not a lesbian car in Maine, they are everywhere and great in the snow.

No major problems with scheduled maintenance.  

Two things I don't love:

• Changing light-bulbs is a pain, look it up and see hints like "take off the bumper" or "put it on a lift".  I chose pay someone else.

• They eat tires and the tires are an odd size.

Neither of these things matter to me when I am trudging through the snow.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Forgot to add, not going to edit on phone.

It will be used as a daily driver, about 30 miles on work days.
It will be used as the "long trip" vehicle for 2 adults and a toddler.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Got a certified pre-owned '11 Outback after my beloved '91 Yota 4x4 was totaled while innocently parked on my street.

Have driven it way more than I would like since November '14 (14k) and no problems whatsoever.  Averaging 29.1 mpg.  Using it to move.  Hauls bicycles on the roof.  I sleep in the back.  Rocks in the snow.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got a certified pre-owned '11 Outback after my beloved '91 Yota 4x4 was totaled while innocently parked on my street.

Have driven it way more than I would like since November '14 (14k) and no problems whatsoever.  Averaging 29.1 mpg.  Using it to move.  Hauls bicycles on the roof.  I sleep in the back.  Rocks in the snow.
View Quote

Do you have the CVT?  How noisy us the ride?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:21:37 AM EDT
[#5]
How are the older ones ? Steering my son toward a Subaru He just graduated college and like outdoor stuff Plus he hauls animals lke snakes and raptors around Station wagon with 4WD would be perfect
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How are the older ones ? Steering my son toward a Subaru He just graduated college and like outdoor stuff Plus he hauls animals lke snakes and raptors around Station wagon with 4WD would be perfect
View Quote

Raptors? Does he work for INGEN?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Does it have a rainbow sticker
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Absolutely a great car for your needs. I have 3, a 2002, 2003 and just bought a 2015. AWD, easy to do gerneral maintenance (02 and 03 take literally 15 minutes for oil changes without the need to jack up the car), small enough to park easily. The newer ones are getting larger (and thus are more comfortable on long trips) but lack the "fun" of the older ones. I'd say snag it for a good price and enjoy it!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#9]
All of a sudden it's fashionable to be gay.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:32:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Google Subaru + head gasket.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Just hit 100,000 miles on ours. Not literally one single problem from it yet. Great in the snow and on the sandy beach. Nothing flashy or special about it, but it's very dependable and does what's needed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not yet.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Absolutely a great car for your needs. I have 3, a 2002, 2003 and just bought a 2015. AWD, easy to do gerneral maintenance (02 and 03 take literally 15 minutes for oil changes without the need to jack up the car), small enough to park easily. The newer ones are getting larger (and thus are more comfortable on long trips) but lack the "fun" of the older ones. I'd say snag it for a good price and enjoy it!
View Quote

What kind of tranny does your 15 have?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not relevant on 2011 Outback or Legacy.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Celebrating the recent SCOTUS ruling??
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
2.5i engine
CVT

What's the reliability?  I keep finding favorable reviews, but can't find too much bad.  Surely there is bad.
View Quote

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2160188

I'd rather have something like the 2009-2012 Toyota Rav4 with the V6 over the outback.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:38:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another tranny thread?? WTH???
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:41:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right....good luck.  Get back to me after 100k....and 2 grand.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'd rather have something like the 2009-2012 Toyota Rav4 with the V6 over the outback.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2.5i engine
CVT

Thanks for the link to the TSB.  I'll take it along and see if it has the issue or has been corrected.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

and a long hair dog that sheds.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure it comes with Birkenstock friendly pedals.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He would if was an actual option.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#23]
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/subaru-2-5-head-gasket-failure-rumor-truei-221683.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/40679-did-they-fix-old-head-gasket-problem-2010-model-new-problems-honda-crv.html

From the 2nd link->
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricZ View Post
Thinking of trading my '03 Outback 2.5 4spd auto with 115k miles. The head gaskets are starting to leak oil AGAIN and I am getting the all too familiar whiff of coolant that the dealer continually denied for the last 6 years or so. Other than the leaks, half shafts and some really cheesy rotors I've been happy with the car.

What can I expect with the new model? Did it retain the home mechanic servicability? New problems? I'm also considering a Honda CRV based on Subaru's refusal to admit any head gasket problems in the previous models but I'm sure they have their own issues too.
The 2.5 your talking about has seen lots of little tweaks over the years. 2000-2002 subaru had a bad gasket design which leaked externally just coolant. 2003's saw some updates better exhaust porting and slight changes to the HG and heads. The new 2010 and newer 2.5's are based on the original design done in the 90's with several generations of tweaks. Far FAR superior exhaust porting and no doubt the HG deal has been sorted out as much as any engine is going to see regarding HG. My 01 ran hard for 180K and was sold with zero leaks and running great even with the hard life it had towing boats etc. The new 2.5 seems just as good and far superior regarding cooling capacity a flatter torque band and better exhaust porting. The 2.5 isn't going to get any better than it is now given the replacement engine has been designed all new ground up design unproven and probably shows up in the OB in 2013 time frame. Then we get to see if the new totally different engine design has any quirks.

Very happy with the new ob 2.5 with the CVT is fantastic my last 2.5 was with the 5spd MT given the old 4spd AT was lousy. CVT is the best thing Subaru has done for the 2.5 hands down. Tows great - keeps the engine in the sweet spot at all times etc.

As for Honda vs Subaru I'll take a $1500 head job on the subaru any day over a $6000 engine rebuild in the strait 4 in the CRV - not to mention a part time partial AWD system which is only slightly better than FWD doesn't really seem worth it which case you might as well look at the New Ford Escape and the direct injection engine given your getting a very respected platform which sold in Europe for several years under the name of Ford Kuga. Fun cut Ute and makes the CRV look really REALLY boring."

I did a lot of research when shopping the 2011 I purchased new in 2011 w/ 4 miles on the odometer.  I'm at 20.5K now.  Mine is a 6 speed manual, Premium package, and it is a solid car.  I change my own oil 2x a year and keep an eye on tire pressure.  

The awd is nice to have for rain and snow.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The quote and your reply just described every granola eating Subaru driver in Idaho. They are great cars but make better targets
Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
2.5i engine
CVT

View Quote

I've heard stick with the 4 banger and stay away from the 6 cyl. Subaru makes a helluva vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:26:37 AM EDT
[#26]
It was the lesbian ad wasn't it?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:29:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It was the lesbian ad wasn't it?
View Quote

Something like that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't take long for this to turn into a "tranny" thread
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:36:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I've been strongly considering a 2015 Outback.  They are higher up than my car and more roomy as well.  I like the AWD, but where I live it's totally unnecessary.  The mileage is pretty decent, as well.

If you're one of those guys who associates your identity with a vehicle, you may want to shop elsewhere.  You'll never be the cool guy in an Outback.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:50:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've been strongly considering a 2015 Outback.  They are higher up than my car and more roomy as well.  I like the AWD, but where I live it's totally unnecessary.  The mileage is pretty decent, as well.

If you're one of those guys who associates your identity with a vehicle, you may want to shop elsewhere.  You'll never be the cool guy in an Outback.
View Quote

My daily driver is a 07 Focus Hatchback.

That's cool, right?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:55:28 AM EDT
[#31]
We have an 11 and are seriously considering trading up to the ne 15. OP I bet that you can buy a brand new Outback for about 4K over the cost of the used one and have the factory warranty as well as all the upgrades.
Outbacks are everywhere up here and we actually use them in the snow, you cant throw a rock into a parking lot without hitting at least three of them. My wife's daily driver and she choose it after having a BMW X3 and over the Volvo whatever. Its a great car, get the factory loud tires off it and you have a super quiet touring car. (tires are a common size that you can get at Costco).
PM if you have any specific questions.
Edit. The headlight bulbs are a PITA but Subaru will replace them for free for the life of the car as a customer service gesture, not under warranty.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#32]
We have a 04 Forester XT with 160,000 miles and a 05 Outback Sport with 130,000 miles.
Both 5 speed.
Only repairs were Right CV joint boot on both cars, shocks, air conditioner clutch.
Best cars I have ever owned.

Vacation in Maine every other year and noticed every 5th car on the road is a Subaru.
Decided to test drive and we were sold.

Have fun in the snow.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

OLD news, not a problem with the 2011's. That was a problem with the ones made in the 90's and early 2000's.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really only an issue up until 09.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As of 2015, you can have any transmission you want, so long as it's a CVT.

But Subaru did pretty well with their CVT, I just wish they still had a manual option.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

But Subaru did pretty well with their CVT, I just wish they still had a manual option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They put paddle shifters on the steering column, for reasons that make no sense to me.  FYI

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Wife had a Subaru with the leaking head gasket, just out of warranty

I poured a ton of radiator stop leak in it and called it a day.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#38]
We purchased a '12 Outback 3.6r after trying out the 2.5 w/ CVT.  The CVT was just an absolute dog while we were getting on the highway.

With that said, still hate the Outback.  Most uncomfortable seats for an extended trip...ever.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Do you have any experience in running a restaurant?  A 2011 model will be nice and clean with all new appliances and dining room.  Don't fuck this up...you can make a lot of money running an Outback.  I'd personally rather open a Chick Fil A, but a steakhouse is cool too.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Do you have any experience in running a restaurant?  A 2011 model will be nice and clean with all new appliances and dining room.  Don't fuck this up...you can make a lot of money running an Outback.  I'd personally rather open a Chick Fil A, but a steakhouse is cool too.

http://www.littlerock.com/!userfiles/business-listings/lrcvb_img_dining_outback_lg.jpg
View Quote

I'm really in it for a love of appetizers.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm looking at the Crosstrek myself and am thinking I will buy one this fall if my Grand Cherokee keeps going the way it has been.  Since the GC is a Chrysler product I don't expect it to change.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All new ones have the CVT like others have said. Takes a bit to get used to but overall I don't even think about it any more. I guess time will tell but there are plenty of Outbacks out there with CVT's and well over 100,000 miles. My experiences with the older Outbacks gives me confidence in this new one.

Like another poster said, you're not gonna be the "cool" guy in an Outback. That's what my '13 Boss 302 is for
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome to 2005
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We purchased a '12 Outback 3.6r after trying out the 2.5 w/ CVT.  The CVT was just an absolute dog while we were getting on the highway.

With that said, still hate the Outback.  Most uncomfortable seats for an extended trip...ever.
View Quote

I had a 13 Outback for a year.  I love the car, loved it.  Was like a cat in the snow, had good space and cargo room for trips and two children.  Drove great, nice options etc.  The seats killed me.  My right leg would be in quite a bit of discomfort from short average trips, and severe pain from longer ones.  I traded it after a year, couldn't stand the seats (and a few other non-Subaru reasons).
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I had a 13 Outback for a year.  I love the car, loved it.  Was like a cat in the snow, had good space and cargo room for trips and two children.  Drove great, nice options etc.  The seats killed me.  My right leg would be in quite a bit of discomfort from short average trips, and severe pain from longer ones.  I traded it after a year, couldn't stand the seats (and a few other non-Subaru reasons).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm the opposite.  I think the seats are great.  The lumbar and heat help my 50+ year old back feel much better.  I'm 6'3", 220# and I can't drive with the seat all the way back.  It's just too far to push the clutch in.  Lots of leg room.  And I drove non-stop, Chicago to NEPa.  One stop for fuel each way.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
2.5i engine
CVT

View Quote

2011 Outback still has timing belts so at 100k you have to do Timing belt's and maintenance and then forget it till the next 100k.
If you are going to off road it you need to armor it up, the oil pan / oil pickup tube cant take much of a hit.
http://get-primitive.com/

A big cost is tires, you replace one you replace them all at same time.
Different sized tires is not a good thing with AWD.

I have had 3 of them over they years 2 beaters to drive to work and after my wife saw what i did to one of them and could not kill it she wanted one.
I am rarely allowed to drive hers unsupervised.
Never drive them in deep water, the ECU is located under the front passenger side floor board if water gets inside it kills them.

Over all they are kind of low maintenance and easy to work on.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Someone in my family had an '03 Outback they bought new and just sold with 296,000 miles on it.

It ate tires, needed seals, gaskets, and hoses replaced late in life, and had some interior problems....but damned if it didnt just keep going.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wife had a Subaru with the leaking head gasket, just out of warranty

I poured a ton of radiator stop leak in it and called it a day.
View Quote

Choke yourself
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I like their cars, but a potential downside is I believe they use timing belts which get changed every 60k for $800.  

SUVs and trucks mostly use timing chains. Nissan uses mainly timing chains
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Have had a 2010 Outback since 2010.  We've got over 100k miles on it with zero issues.  Gas milegae is about 26 to 28mpg with a mixture of city and suburb driving.

Only thing I disliked on it when we first bought it was it seemed to have a little more body roll in the turns than I liked.  Replaced the rear anti-sway bar with the thicker anti-sway bar from the STI (common mod for the Outback) and that resolved that issue.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top