Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2006 10:02:48 PM EDT
What is your opinion on Beards?

By the way I mean nice and trimmed, not Taliban style.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The opinion lies somewhere in here: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=473299 Team
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
beards are awsome, on some people, they make others look like retards. Just depends on who you are.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Beards are a great handle in a fight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#4]
They provide an invaluable service in social/professional situations where not having one would be awkward.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Do the ladies like guys with beards?
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Beards are OK, as long as she keeps it trimmed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No. A good friend of mine is in a metal band and has a big ol goatee/beard. He's a good lookin guy, amazing vocalist, but not much action with the ladies.

I, on the other hand, am clean shaven (most of the time) and I fight them off left and right
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. A good friend of mine is in a metal band and has a big ol goatee/beard. He's a good lookin guy, amazing vocalist, but not much action with the ladies.

I, on the other hand, am clean shaven (most of the time) and I fight them off left and right

You fight off the bearded guys? You tease!
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Easy .... After 30+ years of doing it , I've come to
the conclusion that shaving sucks
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Took you that long?

As for the ladies, it's been my experience that a lot of women don't like 'em - but the one's that do like them, REALLY like them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm baby faced so beards make me look more mature..........

That and the huge bulg in my pants
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So you've got some dense undergrowth to match the face?
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you've got some dense undergrowth to match the face?

I don't have a large penis on my face if thats what your getting at............
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They provide an invaluable service in social/professional situations where not having one would be awkward.

Like when you are trying to infiltrate a Muslim terrorist cell.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must be slow, it only took me about 5 years to learn that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 12:47:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I think a lot of it depends on the person.  I have a beard.. it's a trim one that's not long and out of control.  I get lots of compliments on it, because I personally think it makes me look a little better.  Apparently, beards just fit my face well.  Girls seem to like it.  My ex used to play with it non-stop.  Funny.. tonight, even, I was hanging out with a girl and she mentioned something about it.

Plus, yeah.. shaving sucks.

I'm drunk.  Thus... a picture.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#17]
[ George Carlin] Don't be skeered, it's just a beard. [/ George Carlin]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm drunk.  Thus... a picture.
img127.imageshack.us/img127/852/660390229l2mj.jpg

Ok, weird as hell... I looked at that photo then tired to figure out who you were, and why I'd never met you. THe other person in the photo could damn well kill my brother and take over his life... (he'd just have to be a crass, inconsiderate, and socially oblivious bastard, though. :P)
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#19]
As for beards... irritating if too long. I like the utility of "slightly scraggly", which is good for me, as by noon it's well on it's way. I personally like the way 'chops look on me, but I can't grow hair dense enough at the top of my sideburns (right beside the ears) to make it not look like shit, so I just go with a short haircut and  a daily shave... I hate it, but I've gotten used to it. Wife unit likes it tho.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:00:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:03:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
They're stupid and pointless and the only people who wear beards apart from Americans are the Taliban

But what do you think an opinionated person's point of view might be?
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
They're stupid and pointless and the only people who wear beards apart from Americans are the Taliban

I bet this dude wants to grow a beard and can't!! I personally like to mix it up. Usually a goatee or a fu-manchu. Sometimes(rarely)clean shaven and always a decent beard for deer season!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But what do you think an opinionated person's point of view might be?

Hubby had a beard all winter and I loved it. It did tickle though...
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I will eventually cultivate a beard, but for now I'm sticking with sideburns, a goatee, and a moustache.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I've had a beard my entire adult life, my wife loves it.

I do remember a time long ago when my daughter was about 3yrs. old I screwed it up while trimming it and ended up shaving off completely, upon exiting the bathroom my daughter burst into tears and ran to her mom, it took quite a bit to convince her that it was me. Apparently it must have been quite traumatizing as my daughter still remembers it to this day....
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#27]

I've always had a beard. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Me = Shaved head and goatee.

My wife digs it, and says I look like "Goldberg".. but without all the muscles.

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Working outside most of the time I have one from September till about May. The first 90 degree day it comes off. I need all the protection I can get in the winter.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I have grown beards several times. The 1st in my early 30s, I looked like an old time sea captain. It was great in the winter but when it got warm, forget about it. Now that I'm an old bastard I grew in my beard and it was grey. Gee I looked ancient. So off it came again.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
They'reShaving is stupid and pointless and the only people who wear beards do, apart from Americans the military, are the Talibanmetrosexuals.

There, fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Real men sport Muttonchops.

That being said, I can't grow facial hair to save my life, and will never be able to sport a beard.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I have had one ever since I got out of the Army in '91. I keep it neat and trimmed, don't won't to look like Grizzly Adams. My wife loves it, likes to play with while we lie on the couch and watch movies.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#35]
if this was in team i would post pics of every beard style i have worn since i was 16. at 18 i had a beard down to my chest, i guess you would call this "taliban" style now, but mine is red.

ive had a beard since i could grow one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Chicks dig three day stubble
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Started wearing one back in my 20's when I grew it out for insulation during a trip to the Soviet Union in January .  Nice thick, reddish brown and made life OOOH so much easier.

Came and went over the years depending on my mood and the climate I happened to be living in.

Now at 48, a divorce, couple of kids, and other life-altering stuff it's this thin, grey thing that makes me look about 70 when I let it start coming out.  

I've keep the mustache the whole time (with a couple of very short exceptions).  It too is starting to turn a bit too grey for my liking and I use a little coloring on it from time to keep it more "sandy" rather than gray.

No gray in the hair though (and I still have a full head of the stuff), so I guess that's a plus.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

By the way I mean nice and trimmed, not Taliban style.

All Muslims must have a beard, so I do not have a beard… period
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Not so much.  Certain guys can pull off a goatee, or a good pair of sideburns, but beards obscure the face completely.  I like to see who I'm ogling.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a goatee and I like it.  Most of the girls I've dated liked it.  Although I do ocassionally forget to shave [get lazy] and grow out a beard for a couple weeks.   Some faces complement facial hair quite well, others don't...grow a beard...if you don't like it, you can always shave it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#41]
i like a beard to keep me warm in the winter or if its cold. soon as it heats up i shave it down to a goatee with out the mustache part. if people dont like it i could give a shit it keeps my face toasty and my woman likes it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Okay, just to get the lingo right, there are full beards, mustaches, goatees, and "van dykes", and don't forget the "soul patch" (along with some other things that I'm sure I just don't care about...

Quoted:

I LOVE it when my hubby takes enough time off work that he grows a van dyke.  He looks so damned sexy with it I get all hot and bothered just thinking about it.  The bad parts are that it itches him, he's given me whisker burn in more places than I care to think about, and the kids don't like to get kisses as much when he has one.

But HOT DAYUMM it looks good on him!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#43]
They sometimes itch!  

Bob
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Mine fluctuates between full and ZZ Top.
I trim it every six months or so (when I get a haircut),although I sometimes skip a few.
Been wearing it that way since the 70s,but getting right gray now.
Shaved twice over the years,but grew it back immediately,due to popular demand.

When we first went back into the middle east,post 9/11,and all the news was reporting that Muslims were all shaving now that they were out from under their oppressors (anyone else remember),I was walking out of the lumber yard,and an elderly woman walks up to me and screams ,"All the damn [email protected]###@#$ are shaving.Why don't you?"

BS on the hot in summer.
Splash some ice water on it,and it'll keep you cool quite a while,IF it's full enough.
I used to work roofing.Trust me!It works!
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Depends on the face.  

There is a guy at work who is a dead ringer for Ernest Hemingway.  He's not that old but has white hair and a white beard.  

I'm also interested in the rise and fall of beards.  If we use politics to judge what is socially acceptable, it seems like 300-400 years ago they were popular, then around the Revolution no one wore them, then from 1850ish-WWI people wore them (huge beards!), and they have been dead ever since, and even the few who have 'full beards' keep them trimmed short.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top