Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 1:17:03 AM EDT
Finally got my router configured correctly, and I am doing online gaming as never before.

But BF1942 has got to be the best game I have ever played.  What a rush.

Let me know what you think.  I played it for 4 hours today, and didn't even blink.  Kills time, for sure.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:23:17 AM EDT
[#1]
GET THE DESERT COMBAT MOD!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE THIS GAME W/ THIS MOD.

GO GET IT NOW
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:36:13 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.desertcombat.com[/url]

I just check it out for the first time.  It looks pretty cool.

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Ditto, DC rules over BF42
Much faster action game
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, I didn't realize so many other folks playes Desert Combat!

That Mod rocks!!!

BTW - What other game lets you fly an AC-130 gunship?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The Warthog rules but the helis take a while to master.

oz
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#6]
i love BF and the DC mod...good stuff
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]
now I'm gonna have to go and install the game and DC and come kick some of your asses.  

See what you started??

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#8]
i have to say i prefer dod.  small, tactical engagements w/ well mapped and researched weaponry.

bf1942 is too arcade-y, buggy, and a resource hog.

for god's sake it runs like crap on my 2GHz P4 w/ 512meg ram, GeForce4, WinXP Pro, and a cable modem that gets a 1Mbps connection speed (i love the low tech neighborhood i live in, the tech that installed it said it was the hottest connection he'd ever seen.  w00+).  i just can't support EA in their production of shoddy games.

i'll stick w/ gameplay mechanics over pretty pictures and gimmicky vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I am running the game on an Athlon 2100+ with 512 RAM and Geforce3 Ti and it runs without a hiccup.  Sure you don't have some bad RAM?

BF42 a shoddy game?  I think you are the first person I have heard to say that.  PCGamer game of the year.

Arcade like , maybe...but there is something very satisfying about taking out a T-72 with a TOW mounted on a Humvee or blowing the hell out of everything from a helocopter that you just don't get in DoD. Plus I love my camo-colored M-25.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#10]
DAMN I love this game!  Been playing for a few months and never bored with it.  I love DC the most.

Now if you ever encounter me online (Greywolf), be forewarned.  I tend to HATE teammates that camp for planes - they sit around on the airfield waiting for a plane to spawn, when they should be helping take ground.  I also hate it when people have no concept of tactics.

But what I hate more than anything are aircraft.  Since I can't fly them very well, and I can't fly choppers at all, I make it my mission in life to shoot them all down (well, not my teammates planes).  

The only thing that irks me about the game is how damn powerful choppers are.  They take 3 hits from a stinger to shoot down, and they absolutely rule the battlefield - in my opinion much too powerful.  Of course, I always play a Anti-Tank guy, so I am constantly shooting down aircraft (or trying to) with my Stingers :)
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am running the game on an Athlon 2100+ with 512 RAM and Geforce3 Ti and it runs without a hiccup.  Sure you don't have some bad RAM?
View Quote

yeah, i'm sure.  bad framerates all around.

i really don't like the way the vehicles are done.  i know, i know - personal preference!  but it really annoys the crap out of me that the russians have willys jeeps and that the japs have wespes.

it's poorly balanced - there are too many vehicles and armies for the lack of polish they applied.  the reload for snipers always makes it seem like you have one more round left when you're actually empty.  and the list goes on.

i just prefer the rocksolid gameplay of dod to praying that no weird bug blows bf1942.

of course, i don't really like the vehicles in halo, either.  (and i should know - one of my friends works for bungie and i used to play it 16 player weekly over at microsoft).  until they find an elegant way to combine vehicle and squad combat ui's in one game, i prefer that they remain seperate.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#12]
GET LIVES!....  All of you!

Online gaming is the Devil's work!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't believe that DC is free. I would've paid full price for the mod. And they are still adding more vehicles and weapons. B1B's, F117's and much more to come.

I usually play on an 800 with 796 megs of ram and a 32 meg Geforce 2 and it plays Ok at 800x600 most effects off. In a 64 player game, it chunks like crazy everytime I get a lot of players in view. 32 or less, high ping, is usually smooth.

I sometimes play at work on my p4-2.5 with 512 megs ram, 64 meg Geforce 4 ti and it's glass smooth at 1024x768 with all effects on.

Totally Awesome Game!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Twist-

You might try different/updated drivers for your video card.

Also, if you have deleted a ton of stuff and installed a ton of stuff since you have installed the game, you might try defragging or do a complete uninstall, defrag, install new drivers, reinstall game...so on. With a geforce 4 you should be pleased.

Oz
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:18:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I am downloading it now.  Thank the good Lord for cable modems.  187 MB file in 21 mintes.  I love it.

I have been running BF on a 1.4 GHZ with 512 RAM, 64 MB  GeForce2MX.  It rocks.  

The cable modem doesn't hurt either.  Thanks for the tip guys.  Let me know when you want to get a AR-15 clan together.

AZTrooper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top