Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2012 5:46:34 PM EST
http://www.heraldstandard.com/united_states_ap/battle-over-coastal-xmas-display-goes-to-la-court/article_e40dd349-ee03-565c-8d67-0eb104acb8d7.html

Damon Vix didn't have to go to court to push Christmas out of the city of Santa Monica. He just joined the festivities.

The atheist's anti-God message alongside a life-sized nativity display in a park overlooking the beach ignited a debate that burned brighter than any Christmas candle.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:51:33 PM EST
What a douche.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:57:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/18/2012 5:57:57 PM EST by MACD]
woot! War on Christmas 2012TM is officially on!

Our valiant freedom fighter:

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:01:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By MACD:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r316/MACDD/628x471.jpg

that is a very punchable face
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:04:23 PM EST
Christians have displays, Atheists have displays, Christians vandalise atheist displays, city bans displays, Christians sue.

Thread fills with anti-atheist sentiment.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:05:55 PM EST
I never understood these assholes. So they don't believe why do they need to say anything at all. They are like the goddamned Dems, they don't believe so no one should! Sad people who are crying for attention.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:07:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By NickH1:
Christians have displays, Atheists have displays, Christians vandalise atheist displays, city bans displays, Christians sue.

God wills it!
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:10:30 PM EST
I'm an atheist, but I've always believed that Christmas will exist in some form or another because it tends to be colder in December and is a good excuse for family to come together.

I wish people would use their energy on more productive things.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:11:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/18/2012 6:20:35 PM EST by Tango7]
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:15:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By Sheddy:
I'm an atheist, but I've always believed that Christmas will exist in some form or another because it tends to be colder in December and is a good excuse for family to come together.

This. Christmas is an important part of our tradition, and a great family holiday. If you choose to have a religious service on that day, then good for you, but it's not a christian holiday anymore, it's a American holiday.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:22:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/18/2012 6:26:07 PM EST by RichBaker]
Originally Posted By Tango7:
Because "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" means that you can't have a public recognition of anything religious, or put anything religious in a public place even if funded with private money!

That's because our founders were some righteous dudes for being wig heads, and they understood that this country wasn't intended to be a theocracy!

Yeah!

Oh, yeah, that "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"? That's just dead white male slaveowner talk.

Christians have displays, Atheists have displays, Atheists, not happy with being non-confrontational employ Alinsky-esque tactics and then, in a drastic change from the two previous years offer intentionally offensive and disrespectful displays, Christians believed to vandalise atheist displays, city bans displays, Christians sue.

Corrected it for you to reflect a more accurate representation than that of "poor atheist minding his own business gets picked on".

Wonder if the Jews, who were eaffected by the ban joined the suit, or may have been involved in the vandalism as well?

Atheists in article strayed far enough from polite sentiments for happy holidays to make a of Jewish and Christian holidays that they deserve the sentiments they received.

It actually doesn't, it merely means that the state can not mandate a religion for everyone..... Atheists have bastardized the meaning.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:25:30 PM EST

This. Christmas is an important part of our tradition, and a great family holiday. If you choose to have a religious service on that day, then good for you, but it's not a christian holiday anymore, it's a American holiday.

Aye.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:32:24 PM EST

wish people would use their energy on more productive things.

I really think you hit the nail on the head with it being an American holiday. That is what makes this county great we all bring our own little pieces of our culture to the party and everyone joins in and has fun.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:32:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:36:05 PM EST

Keep your holiday in your home, not our parks.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:37:03 PM EST
It takes a serious dick with a hardcore agenda to want to get rid of Christmas.

Fuck everyone like that.

Christmas = Candy and Pie.

If you don't like Candy and Pie, don't put up a sign about it, just go punch yourself in the nads and cry.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:39:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By RichBaker:
Originally Posted By Tango7:
Because "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" means that you can't have a public recognition of anything religious, or put anything religious in a public place even if funded with private money!

That's because our founders were some righteous dudes for being wig heads, and they understood that this country wasn't intended to be a theocracy!

Yeah!

Oh, yeah, that "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"? That's just dead white male slaveowner talk.

Christians have displays, Atheists have displays, Atheists, not happy with being non-confrontational employ Alinsky-esque tactics and then, in a drastic change from the two previous years offer intentionally offensive and disrespectful displays, Christians believed to vandalise atheist displays, city bans displays, Christians sue.

Corrected it for you to reflect a more accurate representation than that of "poor atheist minding his own business gets picked on".

Wonder if the Jews, who were eaffected by the ban joined the suit, or may have been involved in the vandalism as well?

Atheists in article strayed far enough from polite sentiments for happy holidays to make a of Jewish and Christian holidays that they deserve the sentiments they received.

It actually doesn't, it merely means that the state can not mandate a religion for everyone..... Atheists have bastardized the meaning.

No, it means that the State can not give preferential treatment to one religion over another (including atheism and deism).
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:42:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By Peremalfait:

If you don't like American traditions, why the hell do you live here?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:45:34 PM EST

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:49:15 PM EST
I am looking forward to my visit from Kwanzaclause and getting my FSA goodness.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:49:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By MTpint:

Originally Posted By MACD:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r316/MACDD/628x471.jpg

that is a very punchable face

That was funny, thanks.

Chris

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:50:09 PM EST
It is FREEDOM OF RELIGION
Not FREEDOM FROM RELIGION

I am pretty ambivalent towards religion but even I understand this.

Atheists like this guy piss me off more then religious zealots.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:57:41 PM EST

I'm curious. Why does it bother you?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:02:56 PM EST

Bye.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:19:07 PM EST
He is a troll.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:25:35 PM EST
Can we have the call to prayer over the PA system too?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:29:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/18/2012 7:30:36 PM EST by Peremalfait]
Originally Posted By B-1BMRSP:

I live less than 2 miles from that park. The displays mentioned are big. Life sized scenes from the Bible lit with spots. Draws a good sized crowd all December.
It's a big deal. Takes up the entire park. That bothers me. It goes from being a public park to a Catholic park during December.

And I'm not a troll.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:32:36 PM EST
I don't believe in Santa Clause but I'm not going to go shit in some kids stocking because he does. This guy is a douche.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:35:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By Solliz:
I don't believe in Santa Clause but I'm not going to go shit in some kids stocking because he does. This guy is a douche.

His stocking is located in his house so we agree.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:44:01 PM EST

I live less than 2 miles from that park. The displays mentioned are big. Life sized scenes from the Bible lit with spots. Draws a good sized crowd all December.
It's a big deal. Takes up the entire park. That bothers me. It goes from being a public park to a Catholic park during December.

And I'm not a troll.

I was talking about the man in the article.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:06:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/18/2012 8:06:51 PM EST by 44Regular]
People who are scared of Christianity or Judaism worry me.

It's like they can't wait to go postal if they see too many candy canes or manger scenes or something.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:08:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/18/2012 8:09:28 PM EST by Blade_Runner79]

This. Christmas is an important part of our tradition, and a great family holiday. If you choose to have a religious service on that day, then good for you, but it's not a christian holiday anymore, it's the biggest money making, most heavily commercialized holiday.

Fixed......
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:10:50 PM EST
Okay, so there wasn't a problem until Christians engaged in vandalism?

Makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:10:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By 44Regular:
People who are scared of Christianity or Judaism worry me.

It's like they can't wait to go postal if they see too many candy canes or manger scenes or something.

Oh my god they are showing a manger scene to my child and thus attempting to brainwash him into believing in a bearded sky wizard!
Government, come save me from this oppression!
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:13:14 PM EST

And I'm not a troll.

People of the city want to celebrate a holiday. Government doesn't stand in way of that. Many people of the city enjoy the celebration. But you don't like it. Sounds like speaking for so many folks and calling it "our" parks is a tad presumptuous. I like it when the government doesn't get in folks way. How about you?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:33:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By retgarr:

And I'm not a troll.

People of the city want to celebrate a holiday. Government doesn't stand in way of that. Many people of the city enjoy the celebration. But you don't like it. Sounds like speaking for so many folks and calling it "our" parks is a tad presumptuous. I like it when the government doesn't get in folks way. How about you?

Was there a vote? Maybe he missed the vote.

I'll bet when the huge Muslim celebration in the park is scheduled, there will be an outcry from Arfcom...
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:37:54 PM EST
In Santa Monica there is no room for Christmas but there is plenty of room for sexual deviants, commies, botox, marijuana, and abortion. After all, Christmas can really screw you up.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:06:04 AM EST
Well this one petered out quickly.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:15:20 AM EST
UPDATE 1:30p ET: Trace Gallagher reports that the judge in the case has just handed down a tentative ruling and the injunction application has been denied, meaning the city wins and there will be no nativity displays.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/11/19/atheist-displays-prompt-end-to-santa-monicas-60-year-christmas-tradition/
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:46:38 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:47:47 PM EST
Good place for the "This is why we can't have nice things!" cat.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:50:26 PM EST
It hasn't been a Christian Holiday since the 1920's or 30's when the GOV decided to get their hands in on it and make a buck.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:15:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

Did you read the article? The atheists jumped every hurdle and followed the rules.

Things were fine until the Christians decided to start breaking shit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:27:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By Troubl3shooter:

Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

Did you read the article? The atheists jumped every hurdle and followed the rules.

Things were fine until the Christians decided to start breaking shit.

Pretty much. The Christians in the article are butthurt because they got beaten at their own game by the atheists. But of course this is GD, and people don't actually read the articles that are linked, so instead we have multiple threads full of people screaming "PERSECUTION OF CHRISTIANS! PERSECUTION OF CHRISTIANS! THE NATION IS TURNING ITS BACK ON GOD!"
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:29:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By Shooter62:

If you don't like American traditions, why the hell do you live here?

If you don't like Obamacare, why the hell do you live here? After all it is the law of the land. You must be a fan of Obama?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:36:53 PM EST
Athiests like him are like flamboyant gay people. I could care less what you believe in, and I won't push my beliefs on you, but don't go putting your beliefs in my face, or acting all self righteous when someone else celebrates a holiday based on THEIR religion.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:38:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By MadCowRacer:
Christians like him are like flamboyant gay people. I could care less what you believe in, and I won't push my beliefs on you, but don't go putting your beliefs in my face, or acting all self righteous when someone else celebrates a holiday based on THEIR religion.

I agree 100%
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:41:32 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:43:41 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:51:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:
Originally Posted By Troubl3shooter:

Okay, so there wasn't a problem until Christians engaged in vandalism?

Makes sense.

The Angry Atheists applied for all the booths the nativity scene used to have with Flying Spaghetti Monster bullshit and ruined a perfectly nice and harmless Christmas display with their real life trolling.

They applied for a lottery in which everyone had an equal shot, with a 5:1 stack against them.

Maybe a little Divine Intervention(tm) would have helped.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:54:35 PM EST
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top