Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2013 11:03:35 AM EDT
I'm curious as to what is the most common size battery, C or D in the consumer world. I'm aware that AA is prob the most common battery of all consumer batteries. The reason I'm interested in knowing this is that I'm stocking up on flashlights for the home & vehicles, and want to order all of the same model and battery size for logistics purposes. I'm already set on AA & CR123 flashlights. My suspicion is that D is more common than C, as I more often see D size flashlights and batteries at retail stores than C size. However, I'm aware that D & C batteries are used for other things besides flashlights - old boomboxes, toys, etc. So this question has more to do with commonality in overall, general consumer use (not flashlights specifically).

What does the hive say? Whats more common - D or C size batteries?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#1]
D, just going by what I see in the stores.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#2]

I'm pretty sure D is more common the C.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#3]
With the power and efficiency of LED flashlights why do you really need anything other than AA or CR123?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think I own anything that runs off of C or D batteries... and I can't imagine why I'd want to.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#5]
The secretary at work ordered C instead of D. I've got a gross I have no use for. Maybe I should buy a Maglight that uses Cs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I would like to punch the guy that invented C batteries in the face! just use a D battery for crying out loud!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

With the power and efficiency of LED flashlights why do you really need anything other than AA or CR123?
View Quote

Even longer running times.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife likes c batteries....
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#9]
D buy a Maglite with an led inside and you will love D batteries . Long life and great light.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I have two multi-cell flashlights and a camp boom box that are powered by D cells.
Everything else is 9V, AAA, AA, or CR123.
I don't own anything powered by C cells.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#11]
D batteries. My maglite goes thru em like friggin air.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#12]
One of the reasons why I prefer D size flashlights for "general purpose" use is that they're larger/bulkier than smaller AA/CR123 size flashlights, which makes them harder to misplace (our family has lost countless AA & smaller size flashlights). I have a handful of AA flashlights for general use that requires something smaller and/or lighter. I actually really like 2D size Maglights for working on cars & general purpose work - inexpensive, tough and hard to misplace. I have a AA Mini-Mag that I keep in the tool chest when I need something for smaller/tight spaces. I have a 4D Maglight that was given to me as a kid in Boy Scouts that I'm prob going to sell because its simply too big to be practical for anything other than being used as a club.

Even though there's definitely better lights out there than a Maglight, I like them, they're inexpensive & durable and they work for what I want them for. The plan is to have a 2D Maglite & AA Mini-Mag in every car/truck, & a AA Mini-Mag in every motorcycle seat pack. Also, a reasonable amount of spare batteries will be stored in extra-small Pelican cases in each vehicle (these extra small Pelican cases are very popular for portable, secure battery storage).

I usually EDC a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff lamp, which is my primary CR123 light. Until they become as popular/common as AA & AAA, I'll keep them for special/tactical use (weapon mounted lights, tactical lights, etc). Even though AA doesn't preform as good as CR123, its a better SHTF/common usage battery because of its commonality & cost.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't think I own anything that runs off of C or D batteries... and I can't imagine why I'd want to.
View Quote

Don't have a small child, do you?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Frank: You got the A, B, C the D. That's the biggest.

George: I know the D is the biggest. I've based my whole life on knowing that the D is the biggest.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#15]
D's are far more common.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Frank: You got the A, B, C the D. That's the biggest.

George: I know the D is the biggest. I've based my whole life on knowing that the D is the biggest.

View Quote

Wait what are we taking about again? I was day dreaming for a moment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#17]
D is more common.  Lots of LED lanterns run on them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

The only thing I have seen them used in for some years.
Go D sized for lanterns & area lighting if running in M@G lites & the like check out AA to D adapters & run Lithiums

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Get you some Eneloop rechargeable AAs and several of C and D spacers (They allow you to use AA batteries in place of C or Ds). That way you only have to buy one battery and can use them in whatever you need. They are rechargeable so you can get a small wall charger for the house and something like a Goal Zero Solar charger for the outdoors. I keep 8 AAs and 4ea of the C and D spacers in a small Kifaru Pullout. The Eneloop hold there charge for a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-SEC-CSPACER4PK-Spacers-battery-cells/dp/B002V88HFE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382911352&sr=8-2&keywords=eneloop+spacer
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

C cells, love you LONG time
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Many years ago, my Sister took me to the first COSTCO I'd ever been to. I loaded up on everything I needed at the time, including any size batteries that I thought I could use. All this time later, and MANY internet purchases since, I still have many of those C size batteries! What gizmos do they fit?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Many years ago, my Sister took me to the first COSTCO I'd ever been to. I loaded up on everything I needed at the time, including any size batteries that I thought I could use. All this time later, and MANY internet purchases since, I still have many of those C size batteries! What gizmos do they fit?
View Quote
ask webers wife.....

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The really small ones run on A cells.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top