Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 7:12:41 PM EDT
Hello all,
I'm doing a rennovation on a relatively small (5' X 7')bathroom.  I'm wondering would it be too tacky to tile the entire 4 walls with marble, or should I leave room for transition to painted walls?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You can do it but floor to ceiling marble tile in a room of that size will look like a mausoleum.

You might consider a floor of similar or complimentary color but of a different texture and do the equivalent of marble wainscotting on the walls with a glazed tile chair rail to cap it off.

The combinations are endless depending on the look you want.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I tiled 3 walls floor to ceiling & tiled the 4th wall only to the 4 ft mark (this was the wall opposite the bath).  The ceiling is tiled only over the bathtub.  I used 8" tiles that look like stone, medium tan in color, with 12" tiles on the floor.  The ceiling & floor tiles were set in a diamond pattern instead of square.  Came out pretty sharp!.  I painted the exposed walls with pure white eggshell finish paint.  Good luck!  It's a lot of work no matter how you do it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]

KoDoc,
Your "mausoleum" reference certainly having me thinking twice about going forward with all 4 walls.

Ms70,
I'm also laying it out in a Diamond pattern but with 12" neutral beige marble.  In addition, I'm adding decorative trim 3/4 of the way up that will spans the entire circumference.  I also like your idea of leaving one of the wall half way tile. By the way, did you use spacers when tiling the walls?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#4]
You will also find that having all 4 walls marbled will cause the room to be a cold echo chamber as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can do it but floor to ceiling marble tile in a room of that size will look like a mausoleum.

You might consider a floor of similar or complimentary color but of a different texture and do the equivalent of marble wainscotting on the walls with a glazed tile chair rail to cap it off.
View Quote

I did something similar to this in my somewhat small master bath... light blue 6x6 semi-rough tiles on floor, larger rectangular "marble-ish" tiles (tan) halfway up the walls (in a staggered "brick" pattern), with textured/painted sheetrock the rest of the way (except for around the tub, where I used the same tiles to make a surround).  Capped the wall tile with some kind of plastic cap molding from Home Depot.

Personally, I think it looks great!

--Mike
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#7]
WTH kind of priorities do you have?

First, add a magazine rack.
Second, a TV with remote.
Third, a good, semi-noisy "fart-fan".

All three are comfort items. The third is useful for a different type of comfort. If it is loud enough, and people use it, you don't have to listen to someone else breaking off rails.

Where are your priorities, man?!

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You will also find that having all 4 walls marbled will cause the room to be a cold echo chamber as well.
View Quote

Plus, if you really let loose, everyone in your house will hear it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Plus, if you really let loose, everyone in your house will hear it!
View Quote

That's part of the fun of cutting loose!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top