Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2011 7:08:20 PM EDT
I have a 1/2 acre pond on my land with bass and black crappie already established in the water. The crappie are few and far between due to the depth not being anywhere near 15ft and the fact that their is literally no vegetation in the water for them to hide. Can any one name off a few beneficial plants or water grass that would benefit the fish but not necessarily be pervasive? I've looked through he TX ext site for ponds and water but it doesnt actually list any that are beneficial.

I'd like some simple plants that would be easy to keep in check that will allow for the crappie and baby fish to grow larger and feed in. Also, a site to purchase this stuff would help too. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Water lillies?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Lilly pads are great cover, but can over run a small pond. Same with anacaras. With some management you should be able to keep it in check.

AVOID CARP LIKE THE FUCKIN PLAGUE
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Lilly pads are great cover, but can over run a small pond. Same with anacaras. With some management you should be able to keep it in check.

AVOID CARP LIKE THE FUCKIN PLAGUE

Bad experience?

What about eel grass?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard of guys sinking Christmas trees to establish structure around here
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Sink some brush or Christmas trees, but, seriously, putting crappie in a 1/2 acre pond is a waste. If they ever get established, they'll take off and overpopulate before you can say 'I got a big 'un'.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Hire a dredger to dig your pond deeper.

I believe they can dredge it with a dragline.

Then plant cypress trees.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sink some brush or Christmas trees, but, seriously, putting crappie in a 1/2 acre pond is a waste. If they ever get established, they'll take off and overpopulate before you can say 'I got a big 'un'.

If he has the right ratio of bass to crappie the pond can manage.  1/2 an acre is pretty small though.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe they are called willow oaks, but they are bush-like and grow along the bank.  In areas away from the bank, you will need some structure as well.  Throw in some cut cedars or make up that PVC pipe thing that is online somewhere.  The PVC thing is nice because you won't hang it with your hook.

Along one part of the bank, lay down some rip rap rock extending down into the water.  When it is colder, the rock will raise the water temp a degree and bass will be attracted to it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#11]
put in artificial structure.pvc 'trees', buckets of concrete with 1" black plastic water pipe,tire reefs,etc.
yer welcome
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've heard of guys sinking Christmas trees to establish structure around here

This
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pond Boss

Great site, one of the few I belong to.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a 1/2 acre pond on my land with bass and black crappie already established in the water. The crappie are few and far between due to the depth not being anywhere near 15ft and the fact that their is literally no vegetation in the water for them to hide. Can any one name off a few beneficial plants or water grass that would benefit the fish but not necessarily be pervasive? I've looked through he TX ext site for ponds and water but it doesnt actually list any that are beneficial.

I'd like some simple plants that would be easy to keep in check that will allow for the crappie and baby fish to grow larger and feed in. Also, a site to purchase this stuff would help too. Thanks guys.

Have you tried here

TPWD

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys! The hive minds saves the day again
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not really

The bass will eat them out most likely

Sink some brush piles or cut evergreens.

Cut some red cedar or spruce trees and sink them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top