Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/16/2003 8:23:39 AM EDT
I want to get an inexpensive general purpose bolt action rifle. I already have gazillions of AR15s, AR10s, AKs, M1As, FALs...want a bolt action for hunting and long range shooting.

Which is best: Remington 700, Winchester 70, or Ruger (77?). I probably prefer a 300 Mag (short?), but will also consider 308 and 7mm Rem Mag. Any opinions?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:26:23 AM EDT
Remington 700 series Savage bolt actions
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:29:30 AM EDT
Which 300 short mag? I prefer the Rem 700. It won't, however, hold the 300 WSM and allow you to seat the bullets out far enough to maximize the performance. The 300 SAUM will be fine. The Winchester will handle the 300 WSM appropriately. I wouldn't have the Ruger in any configuration if I had the choice of the Rem or the Win. Just my 2 cents worth. BTW, the Savage would be a decent choice on a budget. The can shoot as well or sometimes better then the Rem or Winny. They are just ugly in comparison.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:30:41 AM EDT
Remington.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:33:44 AM EDT
savage. mcole
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:36:22 AM EDT
I'll be the lone voice of dissent and say Ruger, mostly because that's what I have. [;)] [img]groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDRAloVP*5U52gy!Q3x6C!hEuMPGzYw1WwG4IcEd*G4­eIiV70JmaFo!gkpwjGSaQtyuHxl7trsQk9v4CDhU5dYnh­tJIam9*EdmSPx0HOv44969kuhdi9A/IMG_0375.JPG[/img] It is a .270 which is nice and flat shooting and good for just about everything on our continent except for maybe grizzlies. So far it seems pretty accurate though the trigger needs a trip to the gunsmith. Even with that it is still cheaper than a BDL. Just to offer another option. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:42:46 AM EDT
ditto: [b]Remington 700[/b] Mike
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:47:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tivoli410: Remington 700 series Savage bolt actions
View Quote
Ditto. I *almost* favor the savage actions over the remington....*almost* IMHO, they're both good, and savage is often overlooked
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:47:37 AM EDT
I tend to agree with Ratter on caliber. The .270Win. is hard to beat for a hunting round and it shoots as flat as any Mag. out there without all the recoil and muzzle blast. Even though it sounds "cool" when you talk to your friends you don't NEED a magnum ctg. to hunt game in N.America. I'd go with a Remington simply because that's what I like, all of them are good guns, Ruger, Winchester, Savage. Pick the one that fits you best and that your budget will allow you to buy. Speaking of budget, have you looked into the surpplus bolt actions that are in the country now? You could get a nice Yugo M-48 Mauser in 8x57mm or a sweet shooting Swiss K-31 in 7.5x55mm. Both would work great for big game hunting and the Swiss is one of the most accurate military bolt(straight pull)on the market. You could take the money you save and pick up dies, bullets, primers and ammo. Just a thought. Talk to ya' later.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:48:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2003 8:50:40 AM EDT by mattja]
Buy an M48 and sporterize it. [:D] Seriously, if you want inexpensive, perhaps a .308 is the way to go because you have access to all the surplus ammo for target practice and plinking.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:57:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2003 9:03:21 AM EDT by imposter]
Most of the major manufacturers make good rifles. The Howa is a great deal as is the CZ and Ruger. The stainless steel Ruger with the brown composite stock is IMHO a great looking gun. Savages are good guns, if you can stand how damned ugly they are. Remingtons are popular but are not better in any way than any of the above; for the price of an ADL you could get a Ruger, CZ or Howa which are actually nicer looking and shoot just as well. Personally, I like Winchesters. I like the coned breach, mauser extractor, fixed ejector, three position safety, field stippable bolt and trigger that is easy to adjust. There is not as much aftermarket support as you get with the Remington, but more than other brands. I have several Winchesters, but my current favorite is a 270 WSM. Winchesters have become kind of pricey lately. But I saw a Winchester (with Mauser extractor) in 270 Win for $299 at Galyans the other day. But which brand you get is a personal preference. In my experience they are all good, and the lemons are pretty rare. As to cartridges, the WSMs have more potential velocity than the RSAUMs. I seriously doubt you can safely get the velocity Remington is advertising for the RSAUMs. 300 Mag is a great all around cartridge. While I agree with the boys above that 270 is a great cartridge, I'd rather have a 300 for that NV elk tag. There really does seem to be less recoils with the short mags.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:04:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:22:15 AM EDT
The Ruger is a fine rifle. I've had three of them. I think the main reason they aren't more popular is due to an almost total lack of aftermarket support. If I was going to buy a rifle just to put a scope on and go hunting, I'd buy a Ruger in a heartbeat. If I was going to build a long range rifle then I'd have to go with one of the other three. Probably a Savage. In either case I'd go with the 7mm Rem Mag.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:57:19 AM EDT
Depends on what exactly you intend to hunt. Nothing larger than a white tail? Most any of the 24 to 30 caliber standards will work. Elk or moose? The 30 mags are probably where you want to be tho an '06 will do most anything the 30 mags will. If I were to spend my money, I'd probably look at the Savage 110 packages in '06 first. Excellent value for the money. I have found over the years the the 30'06 is about as much cartridge as I want to shoot with any regularity. Lots of loads availible at most any outlet. Any of the major brands make acceptable rifles. Shop around. See which one fits you the best. See what the prices are like. The short mag phenomena has always struck me as the gun makers attempt to generate new sales. I don't think they really pushed the ballistic envelope all that far with them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:06:43 AM EDT
Big hunkin mulie bucks and elk. I'll keep an eye on '06 also.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:27:15 PM EDT
I own a Remington 700 BDL in .223. I bought it almost five years ago and have put [i]multiple[/i] thousands of rounds through it. It is still shooting sub-minute groups. Two weeks ago I took some target practice with it. If you leave out the flyers that were my fault the average group was ¾ of a minute. And the only two things I did to the basic rifle configuration was to have the trigger lightened up and the barrel recrowned.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:51:56 PM EDT
'Shooter: Another vote for Ruger. Though I don't care much for their handguns, I think they make fine hunting rifles. I have two-a .270 and an '06. Both shoot 2" groups at 200yds, and that's likely MY fault. The .270 is big medicine for mulies and elk out to 200yds and the recoil is about the same as a 20ga-meaning it won't punish you to take it out for a day of shooting. However....the '06 is so proven, you can't go wrong with it. It'll drop anything on two or four feet in North America. Rugers usually cost less than Winchesters or Remingtons. They're fine rifles also. I had a bad experience with a Savage rifle, so I find it hard to recommend. (NOT a KB, just a POS right out of the box. Sold it after only two weeks, but this was back in 1981. Hopefully, things have changed since then)
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:14:36 PM EDT
Savage Rem 700 Browning A-Bolt In that order. If cost is a factor take a close look at Savage. I own 2 and have not been disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:40:25 PM EDT
A Ruger M77 Mark II Stainless Sporter in .308 with a 3-9x42 Kahles scope in lapped Ruger rings and an aftermarket trigger tuned to a 2 lbs. pull with almost zero creep cause that is the only bolt action rifle own.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:58:23 PM EDT
I have a Ruger M77V (V for varmit-has heavy barrel) in 308 that is a tack driver. Very reasonably priced. I also have a Savage 110 Tactical in 300WinMag(regular not short magnum) that is also a good shooter.
Top Top