Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2002 9:48:05 AM EDT
[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/08/16/strike_date_ap/[/url]

What is it with these guys? I never really did like baseball, but after the last strike I refuse to go to a game period. I thought it took years to get the fan base back after the last strike. nothing like biting the hand that feeds you by pissing off your fans.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah... this will suck ass. The layoff plans/freezez hit the table around midnight(EST)

I got the call at 06:30(PST)

This will be a sad day...

Thank god I'm a consultant! I will still work for MLB, cuz why? I'm not a capital expense! wheeee!

Now who's gonna come to any games [:(] ... you think they woulda learned.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
A strike would be the best thing for baseball right now. The fans punishment to the teams might be the only thing that can save the game.

Paper
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#3]
[sleep]  I didn't care the last time either.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[sleep]  I didn't care the last time either.
View Quote

I agree.  

With ticket prices and food and drink prices, going to a game is almost out of reach for the average fan already.  They should disband the teams, sell the stadium land that the public is paying for and put the public out of their misery.
As a result of unquenchable greed, very few baseball fans are left anyway.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#5]
IMO both sides deserve each other and deserve ehat they get.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#6]
America needs to let go of our favorite past time.

Wake up call for the players needs to happen.

PEOPLE, DONT GO TO BASBALL GAMES!!

Show them that 1-5 million a year is much better then NOTHING!
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#7]
[sleep]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Good.. maybe something better will come on instead of baseball... something about guns..
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
America needs to let go of our favorite past time.

Wake up call for the players needs to happen.

PEOPLE, DONT GO TO BASBALL GAMES!!

Show them that 1-5 million a year is much better then NOTHING!
View Quote

It's these asshole players being greedy. They see these figures, and well you know we should all split it evenly - is their mentality. Picture if you will 35K (Rounding +/-2k) people; each spending $11.27 (Average/net) now multiply that with the homestands; 68(65-70)*
*Excluding All Star, Division, or WorSer.

Do the math.

Per game              =    $394,450
X Homestands(68)
Concessions/Ticketing =    $26,822,600/per annum*
    *Excluding special events

That is net profit, After the bills are paid Food/beverage/ticketing) they bring about 30Mil[+/-].

Now add this on... they don't tell me these figures...

-Retail outlets (Regional/stadium)
-Now we throw in advertising (radio/TV/infield/outfield)
-Rights for radio to play by play
-Rights for fox sportsnet
-Licensing (all teams/logos owned by MLB) kickback
-ESPN Highlite fee
-Japan Broadcast rights
-"                     " HD
-Diamond club (preferred seating) +$$
-Suite Dues
-Suites (+catering fees x 20 suites)

Bah. the players are fucking idiots. Talk about biting the hand.

They should be happy they still have a parking place. [puke]
-
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Geez, modern baseball sounds like our modern economy!

Not enough money to go around and yet the show keeps rolling all the while expenses keep going up.

Amazing.

Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#11]
They truly have got to be kidding me. The average salary of a ballplayer is 2.3 MILLION dollars. I can't believe these pampered premadonnas actually have the audacity to strike. Someone needs to remind them that our economy is in shambles, people have lost their retirements savings, we're in a global war and many have suffered this past year. All the likes of which these 'ballplayers' will never experience in their pampered careers. I don't know who to hate more, the ballplayers who strike or the moronic fans who continue to patronize and attend the games....

Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Just one more example of a union screwing up business.

But in the end, who cares about baseball?  I know I don't.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Baseball is dead. The players are just riding it's bloated corpse.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#15]
The worst thing we, as a nation, could ever do is give a bunch of retards (baseball players) millions of dollars so they can run amock.  Hopefully, professional baseball will collapse and these mental midgets can go back to the carwash and Wendy's.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I actually enjoy baseball...but I will not be sorry to see the strike.  The last time there was a strike, the minor leagues got such a boost.  That is what baseball is all about...spending a hot, humid summer evening out under the stars, watching all the kids running around the stadium while you chill with some good friends.  Best of all, minor leagus games will set you back a whopping 5-10 dollars per ticket.  

I say let the big boys strike...I will continue to enjoy the minor league games.  sloth  

Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#17]
yanno what I say?

Fuck the bastards.  They get PAID to play a fucking game, and they want to bitch about it?  FUCK 'EM.

Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I agree with you guys.  Professional baseball sucks, and the players are overpaid drug addicts.

That said, it was once a great game, just like football and other pro sports.  What killed them was TV, skyrocketing revenues, and skyrocketing salaries.

As Paul Simon put it, "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?"
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't care if they strike for a hundred years.

Link Posted: 8/16/2002 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know about that. I think the fans are ultimately to blame. As long as they patronize the games and feed the players egos (and wallets) the players will continue to demand more. After all, dDo you honestly think ball players would demand such a high salary if fans weren't willing to pay for it. As long as we're willing to pay for $8 hotdogs, they'll continue to demand more..
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Screw them all. I hope nobody goes back to watching the game.
You know you just can't live these days on a million dollars.

Baseball first.
Next basketball.

Losers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Soccer. Now, more than ever.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I actually enjoy baseball...but I will not be sorry to see the strike.  The last time there was a strike, the minor leagues got such a boost.  That is what baseball is all about...spending a hot, humid summer evening out under the stars, watching all the kids running around the stadium while you chill with some good friends.  Best of all, minor leagus games will set you back a whopping 5-10 dollars per ticket.  

I say let the big boys strike...I will continue to enjoy the minor league games.  sloth  

View Quote

Minor League games are great just the way the are, you and I don't need all of the overflow form the Bigs spilling over and making it an oredeal to go to a game. I like that I can be sitting around a 6:00 and decide to go to the 7:30 game, walk up to the ticket office and sit front row, down either baseline, or if I want, plop my ass 10 rows back behind the plate.

Let the ignorant masses stay that way, so I can relax, stretch out and enjoy the game.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Hell,I love Baseball, but if they strike again, I'll be the first one to drive a nail in their coffin. Oh well, still have Hockey. Football plain sucks. Basketball- don't even get me started.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't understand why the players want to strike, they make more money in a year than most of us will in several lifetimes. F'em!
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Strike... strike... strike...

Link Posted: 8/16/2002 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Geez, a guy can make over a mil to warm a bench his whole career and has the nerve to say he isn't making enough!!!!!!!

My wife's cousin married a guy who got picked up by the Rangers and got a huge signing bonus and gets alot of money, and he played 3 games 2 years ago when their star SS got injured.
But he makes tons of money still doing squat.

Screw 'em. Salary caps of $200,000 per player. End of story. Then we wouldn't have the problem of teams going under, or having to move, or anything.

They get to keep their endorsements, and a cut of all licensed clothing with their name, but no more salary.
And during their playing life, the team covers medical for them and their family. One shot at drug rehab, and no felony convictions. First one and your contract is terminated.

Wait, now it sounds like a job!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know about that. I think the fans are ultimately to blame.
View Quote
I've heard it all now.  The FANS are to blame?????????????
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#31]
A very messed up situation to say the least.

Link Posted: 8/16/2002 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#32]

This is the most intelligent thing I have heard all month! Hydguy, you are a prophet.

Thanks,

Bob

Quoted:
Geez, a guy can make over a mil to warm a bench his whole career and has the nerve to say he isn't making enough!!!!!!!

My wife's cousin married a guy who got picked up by the Rangers and got a huge signing bonus and gets alot of money, and he played 3 games 2 years ago when their star SS got injured.
But he makes tons of money still doing squat.

Screw 'em. Salary caps of $200,000 per player. End of story. Then we wouldn't have the problem of teams going under, or having to move, or anything.

They get to keep their endorsements, and a cut of all licensed clothing with their name, but no more salary.
And during their playing life, the team covers medical for them and their family. One shot at drug rehab, and no felony convictions. First one and your contract is terminated.

Wait, now it sounds like a job!!!
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Its a good thing its almost Football season!!!!

GO BEARS!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd rather watch Drag Racing anyway.
Or Gun Shows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top