Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/28/2006 4:31:44 PM EDT
The 2600 FPS claime that Barrett makes in refference to his 25mm x 76mm round out of a 17.5" barrel doesn't seem possible. The round is more like a grenade round then a rifle round and compound that with the fact the barrel is a mere 17.5". 1600fps would be more realistic given the rifles attributes wouldn't it?

Physics wizards help me to understand this round if you wouldn't mind.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:32:54 PM EDT
What's the projectile mass?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:44:06 PM EDT
Regardless of the ballistic performance claims, I know many operators who have seen (as I have) this weapon test-fired, and have refused to shoot it. Unless this thing is vehicle mounted, the dismounted applications are limited. The recoil is just not manageable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:48:21 PM EDT
Since I am shopping 25mm guns, this is a timely thread.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:53:31 PM EDT
The round is not a grenade round like the 40mm for the M203. It is a cannon round for the Bushmaster Chaingun on the Bradley IFV. Higher pressure and velocity than the grenade rounds.

As for the claims, I have no Idea, but the effective range on the bradley's gun is somewhere near a mile and a half IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:03:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By notso:
The round is not a grenade round like the 40mm for the M203. It is a cannon round for the Bushmaster Chaingun on the Bradley IFV. Higher pressure and velocity than the grenade rounds.

As for the claims, I have no Idea, but the effective range on the bradley's gun is somewhere near a mile and a half IIRC.

I know the 25mm bullet itself is from a Bradley Vehicle round but the case is Barret proprietary and much much shorter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:06:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Epraslick:
Regardless of the ballistic performance claims, I know many operators who have seen (as I have) this weapon test-fired, and have refused to shoot it. Unless this thing is vehicle mounted, the dismounted applications are limited. The recoil is just not manageable.

Is it really that severe?? I figured with Barrett's newly designed high efficancy 3 chamber arrow brake it would be rather managable....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:07:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:
Since I am shopping 25mm guns, this is a timely thread.

ass!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:43:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2006 6:44:32 PM EDT by Epraslick]

Originally Posted By -M60_Gunner-:

Originally Posted By Epraslick:

Is it really that severe?? I figured with Barrett's newly designed high efficancy 3 chamber arrow brake it would be rather managable....

After we saw that thing fire at a demo we all sort of looked at each other and said, "You first!"

From my perspective, the weapon has one role, anti-vehicle. In that role, I think it could be a good fit on an RSOV or other type vehicle.

For anti-pax there are better options, like the .338 and .50. I can't see the utility of a weapon with a perceived max-range in excess of my ability to ID the target through my optics. Even at 32x, I can't positively ID a target at 2K+ meters.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:51:37 PM EDT
ttiwwop
Top Top