Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2001 9:22:12 PM EDT
How many 50 cal BMG'rs out there?
Got to shoot a 50 Ca.BMG Barrett M82A1A rifle yesterday at the range.  (50 cal day.)  Man this was great.  Ten round mag semi-auto and a really great scope.  Recoil was about like a 12 Gauge shotgun.  I haven't shot anything in 50BMG since I was in the service (a long time ago).

I could really get into this stuff if I had the $$$$s.  The rifle was over $8,000 and the scope,  a Waroskvy, was over a grand.  I guess I can only dream and buy less expensive pieces.  
Life really sucks when you are poor.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:37:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Bulletguy>> I had the Barret Modell 99 for about a year. Had to sell it for financial reasons. I did get to shoot it a couple of times, and it is sweet. I have already started getting more .50BMG ammo and have been saving for another one. Thinking about the Robar and McMillian rifles. They are nice rifles but very costly. You can find some good ammo deals on GunBroker.com

PS. The Model 99 is around $2,800 right now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:04:39 AM EDT
[#2]
BE AWARRE:You folks that are into the 50BMG stuff should take heed, the antis are trying to ban/regulate that stuff.  I am not sure how far they are go to get with the current administration, but the who knows.  Ask yourself how long did it take the antis to pass the '94 AW ban and Brady Law?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:05:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Were you out with me on Sat?  I let several people try mine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:10:52 AM EDT
[#4]
The scope is a Swarovski Scope 10X42  fitted with Barrett's own "Christmas Tree" type ranging reticle which is calibrated for the .50 BMG round for distances of 500 to 2000 meters.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone have any experience with the Watson's Weapons AR-15 .50 BMG uppers? I'm wondering what the recoil is like with the .223 lower, and if the buffer handles it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the .50's.

I have 2 that I have not shot yet--

Barrett M82

and

State Arms KC2000

Both quite nice guns--the Barrett is a semi auto, and the KC is a shell holder type.

If you look in the most recent Shotgun News, there is a special from State Arms on a Shorty (30" bbl) that is going for $1800 (+ about $75 in shipping) with the tac. stock.  It comes with a bipod and scope rings for that.

I have seen the Watson's ads, and like the concept.  It is slow to load--basically, the "bolt" is just that--it screws into the breech.  And, my other worry would be doing something dumb, such as breaking off the aluminum receiver at the pivot by not paying attention when I was loading.  But for $1200, it is a good starter for a .50, especially if you already have the receiver.  However, if you are going to spend $300 on a complete lower to dedicate to it, the $1800 for the State Arms is probably a better deal.

AFARR
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like the .50's.

I have 2 that I have not shot yet--

Barrett M82

and

State Arms KC2000

Both quite nice guns--the Barrett is a semi auto, and the KC is a shell holder type.

But for $1200, it is a good starter for a .50, especially if you already have the receiver.  However, if you are going to spend $300 on a complete lower to dedicate to it, the $1800 for the State Arms is probably a better deal.

AFARR
View Quote

I own A KC2000 and the Serbu BFG-50, Both are Well liked by the ".50 Crowd" and both are (Generaly) available for under $2300. I have shot the KC2K and It's a pussycat! You >>Might<< still be able to get one direct from State Arms, but if so, I'd be suprised. The Rebel is just about the same gun (Only small diff.) It's big, heavy, and LOUD!! But boy! Is it sweet! As for the SERBU BFG-50, well I just got mine (#128) and I've not shot it yet. I'll let ya know in a few weeks how she shoots (And yes, It's a She!)

Hey AFARR, If You ever make a trip up near the Detroit area, drop Me a line (In advance) and You can drop a few downrange on them both, just to see how Ya like Em'

Take it easy!
Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I fell in love with EDM's XM 107 Windrunner on the weekend (saw one at the gun show at the Cow Palace, FYI near San Francisco).

Beautiful in a "I love black guns" sort of way, but I have to convince the fiance to trade in her car for it ($8,200 with scope + tax and stuff). A production model (well, only 100 were made last year) set a world record 5" 5-shot group AT 1004 YARDS!

Sweet!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
yep I know what you mean. I'd love to get involved with the .50BMG, but I just don't have the money [:(]
sure looks sweet though:
[img]http://users.supernet.com/libertyof76/images/M82A1-500.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
yep I know what you mean. I'd love to get involved with the .50BMG, but I just don't have the money [:(]
sure looks sweet though:
[img]http://users.supernet.com/libertyof76/images/M82A1-500.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Do you think if I start wishing now, Santa may be able to fit one in my stocking?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Jeez, JT, I don't know!  Is Santa pro-gun  [?]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
sure looks sweet though:
View Quote

Do you think if I start wishing now, Santa may be able to fit one in my stocking?
View Quote

I don't know, Have you been a good little boy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top