Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 7:02:37 PM EDT
Is there a substantive difference?  Or is it just what location and decoration that you prefer?

I've never really compared them that much so dont know.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
B&N tend to be a lot bigger and have a broader selection.

Both are overpriced, unless you belong to some kind of club.

I do most of my book shopping on amazon. I can wait and usually have it shipped free with a big enough purchase.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Both have worked great for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I do most of my book shopping on amazon. I can wait and usually have it shipped free with a big enough purchase.

Hmm...that's pretty much opposite from what's around here.

B&N kinda sucks cause they put out a few wooden chairs and two or three beat up overstuffed loungers that are,oddly enough,not real comfortable.

The Borders around here have overstuffed leather couches and club chairs stashed in nooks all over the place...it's awsome to go and just read all the magazines and test drive the books for a couplea hours...love that place.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm...that's pretty much opposite from what's around here.

B&N kinda sucks cause they put out a few wooden chairs and two or three beat up overstuffed loungers that are,oddly enough,not real comfortable.

The Borders around here have overstuffed leather couches and club chairs stashed in nooks all over the place...it's awsome to go and just read all the magazines and test drive the books for a couplea hours...love that place.

They've upgraded / moved the B&N stores here locally. They used to be comparable to borders, but now they're huge. And they have chairs, couches, and even chairs / tables for people to sit at. And of course, a starbucks...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The BN here has a couple soft chairs in one corner, and wooden chairs around the Starbucks, and thats it.  It blows compared to all the others around here.

I've heard that BN focuses on bestsellers and new hot books, more than Borders which tries to have a wider variety instead of 2 dozen copies of the newest self help book on the shelf.  But I'm not sure if that's a local strategy or national.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Borders is much more expensive around here
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:22:38 AM EDT
[#8]
They just closed down the local B&N around here.

Borders owns the place
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top