Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2010 4:12:02 PM EDT
Hello!

My wife and I have a 2.5-3 pound poodle.  People love it and because of its size and "cuteness" people always want to come pet it.  But, every time a friendly person walks up to it she freaks out and won't stop barking.  It is really embarrassing and to make it worse, her bark is terribly annoying.  I don't mind spending money on a bark collar, nor do I believe it is cruel.  

Any suggestions out there for a tiny dog?  I have done a search but nothing really comes up that matches my situation.  I just would like to use it as a training device and hope it does something to stop her out of control barking at friendly people.  

Thanks.  

Any links and help are appreciated.

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello!

My wife and I have a 2.5-3 pound poodle.  
Any suggestions out there for a tiny dog?
Thanks.  

Any links and help are appreciated.

Who cares...just get it on video and post it here

Seriously, some of them have adjustable power levels...start low and work your way up.

Then ...get it on video
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Instead of a bark collar, why not try some other techniques? Have you talked to a dog trainer to see if they recommend anything? Done any obediance classes?
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
My daughter is a vet, (and a really good one).
She says that all a bark collar does is make the poor dog neurotic and cause other problems.

She suggests talking to several professional dog trainers to get several opinions on how training can help.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I would try a trainer before the collar.  My wife bought one for her dog years ago, and thought she out to try it first.  She figured if she couldn't handle it, she wouldn't put it on the dog.   It was on the lowest setting and really zapped her...she never did put it on the dog, and a trainer fixed the issue.  

Good luck to you.  Not every solution that works for one person will work for the next person though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!  A lot of good advice. I guess I looked at getting a bark collar as the easy way out. It looks like we will talk to a professional first.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top