Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2016 9:43:26 PM EDT
I'm a history buff, and while the show isn't horrible, it has a really obvious and annoying liberal bent.

1. Military Expert is Wesley Clark, who offers the brilliant insight that the Romans were professional.

2. Other experts include some liberal Congresswoman and a old black civil rights activist.

3. Civil Rights guy thinks that the "barbarians" were the first freedom fighters because they resisted slavery.  Nevermind that everyone enslaved back in those days.

4. Rome is definitely the bad guy.

5. Hannibal is Sub-Saharan African.  Nevermind that we have historical records of him appearing sunburned in North Africa.  

Only positive thing so far is the Blackfish is playing one of Hannibal's Lieutenants.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
History Channel has been dead to me for a while now.  Even one of my favorite subjects, Rome, elicited a "meh" from me watching the ads.  Only thing I watch anymore is Alone.

Did it have an intro by Barak Hussein Obama?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm a history buff, and while the show isn't horrible, it has a really obvious and annoying liberal bent.

1. Military Expert is Wesley Clark, who offers the brilliant insight that the Romans were professional.
2. Other experts include some liberal Congresswoman and a old black civil rights activist.
3. Civil Rights guy thinks that the "barbarians" were the first freedom fighters because they resisted slavery.  Nevermind that everyone enslaved back in those days.
5. Hannibal is Sub-Saharan African.  Nevermind that we have historical records of him appearing sunburned in North Africa.  

Only positive thing so far is the Blackfish is playing one of Hannibal's Lieutenants.  

View Quote

George Washington was gay.

Don't forget, these programs are part of an agenda to brainwash retards into voting for more government.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You expect actual history from a channel that airs "Acient Aliens"?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I stopped watching when they trotted out Jesse Jackson. WTF History Channel.  Are you really that stupid? Oh, wait....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

History Channel has been dead to me for a while now.  Even one of my favorite subjects, Rome, elicited a "meh" from me watching the ads.  Only thing I watch anymore is Alone.

View Quote
No, but the minority congresswoman offers the brilliant insight that power isn't good or bad, but depends on how you use it.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, just at the end....
Him standing over the ruins of Rome/America
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The History Channel is still on and people still watch anything that's aired on it?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I hardly ever watch History channel anymore now that have the Smithsonian channel. It was what History was about 10-15 years ago. Much better shows on all topics.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah I googled the Black Hannible issue.  Apparently, it's been a claimed lie for years by Afro-centric groups.  The sad fact is the truth is Th at the Roman documents clearly state he is of middle eastern-Persian decent.

Rome had slavery just like every civilization of that time up to...today, by other means.

Rome was the birthplace of citizen driven democracy.  Corruption and issues - yep.  It was the extension of Greek "democracy."

Punishment for crime should be brutal rather than what we see in the US.  That said, minor drug infractions are rediculous given the useless WOD we see in the USA.  

But at least the History Channel isn't suggesting aliens actually made the Roman Empire.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#10]
And Jesse Jackson just appeared.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
I watched.  I thought the exact same thing.

WTF, why do I care what a representative from the state of Hawaii has to say about Hannibal

WTF cater much using actors who look like your average african-american in complexion vs  the most likely appearance - phoenician - which would look pretty similar to middle easterners or greeks.

Oh yea, and most 'barbarians' had slaves too.  Slavery wasn't invented in rome.  So no, civil rights guy, just no.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, but the minority congresswoman offers the brilliant insight that power isn't good or bad, but depends on how you use it.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What in the literal fuck does a congressman have to do with ancient Roman history?

Ever since that bitch got hired to run History, it's turned to dumbed down propaganda machine.  Never would've thought I'd miss the hitler years.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And Jesse Jackson just appeared.  

View Quote

Again, what in the literal fuck?

Did they at least have the professor from the University of Tennessee on?  The one with the English accent?  And the Italian dude with the black eyes?  He did History's previous barbarians series that aired in Europe.  What they lacked in scene diversity (used the same scene of Roman getting clothes-lined over and over) they made up for in content.  Lemme see if I can find it.

That was easy - History Play list BARBARIANS
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#14]
The only decent series to come out of The History Channel in the past decade has been Vikings.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw it too... complete garbage.  You forgot to mention Jesse Jackson is a commentator.

The show also seemed to imply (probably just sloppy editing) that Scipio commanded the Roman forces at Cannae.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yep nailed it. I didn't like watching it. It's too annoying.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I"m actually in the middle of Dodge's book on strategy centered around Hannibal Barca (he did them on Alexander, Caesar, Frederick, and Hannibal).

The barbarians were not freedom fighters...they were vicious and dishonorable.  Many of the gauls turned on Hannibal during his crossing of the alps.

Everyone enslaved everyone.  If you were in the middle of a siege or battle...if you didn't die (or weren't granted mercy by the attackers for bravery as Alexander did) you were enslaved.  Plain and simple.

If you were really annoying, you'd be crucified or impaled to the walls (as Alexander did to the defenders of Tyre).

Rome was so effective because of their patriotism and discipline.  They perfected "simple war".  Their roaming fortress/camp helped too....they didn't even worry about logistics until Hannibal "instructed" them.

Hannibal as sub-saharan....lol, right.  Did the sunburn that Consul Scipio saw mean something else back then?  

These studies showed me that while the civilizing influences of "civilization" bring about some benefits...they also make us weak and stupid.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hardly ever watch History channel anymore now that have the Smithsonian channel. It was what History was about 10-15 years ago. Much better shows on all topics.
View Quote

Smithsonian channel is OK for public tv, but you'll never find anything that goes against the government narrative there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yeah I googled the Black Hannible issue.  Apparently, it's been a claimed lie for years by Afro-centric groups.  The sad fact is the truth is Th at the Roman documents clearly state he is of middle eastern-Persian decent.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, the Cartheginians were (IIRC) reportedly the descendants of those who fled west from Tyre after Alexander the Great captured the city state.  Basically, a semitic people.

As the OP mentioned, Hannibal was described as sunburned by Scipio at the Battle of Zama.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, the Cartheginians were (IIRC) reportedly the descendants of those who fled west from Tyre after Alexander the Great captured the city state.  Basically, a semitic people.

As the OP mentioned, Hannibal was described as sunburned by Scipio at the Battle of Zama.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They weren't descendants of the conquered Tyre.  They were a colony of Tyre.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

No.

Carthage was founded around 814 B.C, four and a half centuries before Alexander captured Tyre.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, on the plus side they're pretty much using the entire cast of GoT.  Ser Barristan died  in Lusitania this episode.  Theon is in the preview for the next one.  Maybe Dany can be Cleopatra or Zenobia?

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Honestly I was just surprised that they were showing something historical in nature and weren't yammering on about aliens or Swamp people.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, on the plus side they're pretty much using the entire cast of GoT.  Ser Barristan died  in Lusitania this episode.  Theon is in the preview for the next one.  Maybe Dany can be Cleopatra or Zenobia?

View Quote

Watch, Robb Stark will be Arminius.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Well.. it's television. Not surprised at anything there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Watch, Robb Stark will be Arminius.
View Quote
I think they've got Billy Bones from Black Sails for that one from the previews.  Maybe Robb can be Mithridates?

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I stopped watching when they trotted out Jesse Jackson. WTF History Channel.  Are you really that stupid? Oh, wait....

View Quote

We were on the same page my friend. I really wanted the show to be good but once again THC puts out crap.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

1. Military Expert is Wesley Clark, who offers the brilliant insight that the Romans were professional. The Romans had professional armies
2. Other experts include some liberal Congresswoman and a old black civil rights activist. ok, I will categorize you as a right wing history buff and then dismiss your opinion because politics
3. Civil Rights guy thinks that the "barbarians" were the first freedom fighters because they resisted slavery.  Nevermind that everyone enslaved back in those days. The northern tribes were fighting against being enslaved
4. Rome is definitely the bad guy. Romans were trying to capture lands and slaves
5. Hannibal is Sub-Saharan African.  Nevermind that we have historical records of him appearing sunburned in North Africa. you need to check you geography

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We were on the same page my friend. I really wanted the show to be good but once again THC puts out crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad but true, had a small hope for this one. On the other hand their only semi retarded show "Forged in fire" has really stoked my interest in your craft.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Now GD hates the history channel
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#31]
At this time the legions were basically privatized and ran a for profit system.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Don't forget, these programs are part of an agenda to brainwash retards into voting for more government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ding-ding-ding, give the man a prize!

It's all propaganda. The left has controlled the media for a long time, now. Is it any surprise that there's a metric fuckton of pro-government bias in the TV shows? Look at Person of Interest; gigantic circle-jerk fantasy of having this huge, NSA-on-crack type of surveillance network.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:21:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Now GD hates the history channel
View Quote

Huh, I've hated it since pawn stars and ancient aliens. So going on 5 years or zoo.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's all propaganda. The left has controlled the media for a long time, now. Is it any surprise that there's a metric fuckton of pro-government bias in the TV shows? Look at Person of Interest; gigantic circle-jerk fantasy of having this huge, NSA-on-crack type of surveillance network.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You gave me a Forest Whitiker eye
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#35]
You are subsidizing the propaganda machine with your cable bill.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Honestly I was just surprised that they were showing something historical in nature and weren't yammering on about aliens or Swamp people.

View Quote

Careful what you wish for. Past 5 or 6 "historical" shows have been propaganda shit shows top to bottom.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:31:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, by contrast Battles BC was on Military History.  They gave a very insightful analysis of Alexander's tactics during his invasion of India.  I did not, however, learn what Jesse Jackson thought of Alexander the Great.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Carthaginians were Phoenician colonists with a good amount of Berber genetics from centuries of intermarriage. Hannibal would've looked more like Vin diesel and less like idris Alba.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I skipped it cause I read it was shit.

What are some good shows on the Roman history?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

History Channel - Liberal Crap

Fixed the thread title for you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't think they realize that the Carthaginians weren't black............they probably don't know that the Phoenicians founded Carthage...........

Quoted:

Rome had slavery just like every civilization of that time up to...today, by other means.

Rome was the birthplace of citizen driven democracy.  Corruption and issues - yep.  It was the extension of Greek "democracy."

Punishment for crime should be brutal rather than what we see in the US.  That said, minor drug infractions are rediculous given the useless WOD we see in the USA.  

But at least the History Channel isn't suggesting aliens actually made the Roman Empire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

History Channel UK's Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire - 13 part series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mUQVm9FU64&list=PLx5B22t2Ksu2jerdLdWvZ1JuYizKsnnzr

Actual history professors and writers are being interviewed.  It had a decent budget, but they still had to reuse some scenes a bunch of times.  Get over that and you'll learn a lot.  Either that or see if you can still find Dan Carlin's podcast on the subject.  

History Channel also did one about the barbarians too. (this is NOT the blackwashed version you're seeing play now)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQYigCUcZjg&list=PLGxgiliy40tIrjQEqJBbAO4-QAXyAfm0f
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You expect actual history from a channel that airs "Acient Aliens"?
View Quote

"History Channel" features aliens, while "SyFy" features wrestling, and reality shows have infested everything else from "Discovery" to "Velocity".

TV sucks these days.  

ETA: it's been down hill since MTV forgot what the "M" in "MTV" stands for...
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The History Channel is still on and people still watch anything that's aired on it?
View Quote

It's been years since it turned to utter shit,  yet there are people still "learning" crap from it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep this!  Like Jesse has any fucking idea about what he is talking about!
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mUQVm9FU64&list=PLx5B22t2Ksu2jerdLdWvZ1JuYizKsnnzr

Actual history professors and writers are being interviewed.  It had a decent budget, but they still had to reuse some scenes a bunch of times.  Get over that and you'll learn a lot.  Either that or see if you can still find Dan Carlin's podcast on the subject.  

History Channel also did one about the barbarians too. (this is NOT the blackwashed version you're seeing play now)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQYigCUcZjg&list=PLGxgiliy40tIrjQEqJBbAO4-QAXyAfm0f
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Washington was a closeted transperson.

Eta I had to google it but he DID NOT wear a wig but powdered his hair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top