Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2013 4:51:02 AM EDT
Who has one?

I have a Yaesu VR-500 wideband communication receiver for SHTF radio monitoring, it can receive anything I would need to listen too.

The BaoFengs are ridiculously cheap, I can get one for $39 shipped off of eBay.

I don't have a HAM license and don't know if I would ever get one, is it even legal to own one without a license?

Here is the Yaesu. Great little radio.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#1]
It costs less than half of $39 to get your Technician license.

Not illegal to own any ham radio, but it will not be pretty when the FCC finds out you are transmitting without a license.

1.  get your license
2.  buy the radio
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:16:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one of those Baofengs. In my opinion they are perfect for my needs. I can listen to the local repeaters and even the FM radio stations while out fishing or hunting. It didn't cost much so I don't really care if it gets ruined.

For the record, I do hold a technician and general class license. The license is stupid easy to get and will let you practice a little before SHTF. Just my 2 cents.

Let us know what you decide.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]
No, you need two.

Mine were lost in a tragic camping accident.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It costs less than half of $39 to get your Technician license.

Not illegal to own any ham radio, but it will not be pretty when the FCC finds out you are transmitting without a license.

1.  get your license

2.  buy the radio
View Quote
I wouldn't transmit on it without a license.

I think I will order one, and then get at least the entry level license.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah.  Don't let the FCC find out your are transmitting without a license.

They will come down hard on you.

Just like they are coming down hard on the guy who has been transmitting for about 3-4 years on my fire department frequency.

Oh wait.  They haven't.

Never mind.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Get your license First

In Many cases a CB radio is Better than just a Handheld

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:50:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I have two of the UV5R's, and while they're pretty good little radios, especially for the price ($36 on Amazon from a US seller), there are a few annoyances.

1. QRM - with no RX tones set, I sometimes get some pulsing static on RX, guessing it's just poor filtering and a sensitive receiver.  These radios are usually meant to be used with CTCSS/DCS turned on, to keep out QRM.

2. TX Audio - The TX audio is usually on the low side, and there's no way to adjust the deviation thru software, have to do a hardware mod.

3. Programming - Clumsy to program thru the keypad, tho it can be done, except for naming the channels.  Works with Chirp, though.
But, the good things are...

1. Battery Life - fantastic, especially with the 3600/3800mAh batteries.  Can use them for weeks or months on the big battery.

2. Cost - Disposable price.  If it dies, pull out your backup, keep original for parts.

3. Size - Tiny with stock battery, a bit more manly with big battery.  

4. Mic Jack - Standard Kenwood size/shape/pinouts.  Compatibility with existing speaker mics and programming cables.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Just a side note, the new Baofeng UV-B5 (and B6) are supposed to eliminate the QRM issue, and the B5 has an encoder wheel on top.  I'm gonna pick one up to try it out.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just a side note, the new Baofeng UV-B5 (and B6) are supposed to eliminate the QRM issue, and the B5 has an encoder wheel on top.  I'm gonna pick one up to try it out.
View Quote

Yes- the b5 is the way to go.

Get your license, because you will learn interesting things AND you can legally "practice" using your radio. No matter how much you read, there's a lot of things that are picked up by actually doing them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#11]
You came program in all the GMRS/Family radio and MURS channels into it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought one. Local test is this September (will probably try to get both Technition and Genreal-we will see).
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wouldn't transmit on it without a license.  

I think I will order one, and then get at least the entry level license.
View Quote

I can almost Guarantee you will.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#14]
read this thread....Baofeng hand held..get tech license
I got my tech license last month...entire process from start to finish about 4 weeks..most of it study time couple hours in evenings
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#15]
If you get a 5R and want a car adapter, PM me.  I ordered one for my B6 and they sent the wrong model - the one for the 5R.  When I let them know, they said to keep the incorrect one and they'd just send the right part and call it good.  No sense have an adapter for a radio I don't own.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Dude, $33 off Amazon Prime. Get one!
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#17]
DO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got one myself and I also don't have a HAM license.  However, I can pick up everything important--NOAA, LE, fire, rescue, etc.  Just don't hit the transmit button.

But, the reason I got the radio was because I'm planning on having my Tech license by the end of the summer--it's cheap and the material isn't hard to learn, so get that, too!

Have fun!

ETA:  Programming it out of the box is a little tricky, but it's really simple once you learn the menu system.  There are some good web sites that give good instructions.  This is one of them.  I'll post more when I find them (if you're interested--I know you haven't even decided if you want the radio yet )
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
DO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got one myself and I also don't have a HAM license.  However, I can pick up everything important--NOAA, LE, fire, rescue, etc.  Just don't hit the transmit button.

But, the reason I got the radio was because I'm planning on having my Tech license by the end of the summer--it's cheap and the material isn't hard to learn, so get that, too!

Have fun!

ETA:  Programming it out of the box is a little tricky, but it's really simple once you learn the menu system.  There are some good web sites that give good instructions.  This is one of them.  I'll post more when I find them (if you're interested--I know you haven't even decided if you want the radio yet )
View Quote

Guys read the thread link I posted above...UVB6 ETA:  UVB5 better deal in IMHO
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for the UV-B5 over the -5R

License is stupid-easy to get, no reason not to.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Guys read the thread link I posted above...B6 better deal in IMHO
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's a really good thread, actually.  Good link.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Do it & get the tech license

(license is only needed if you transmit)
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah I believe there are 40 of us who have received their license because of this thread....
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:25:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes, they are very good radios for a low cost. Get the extended battery and upgrade the antenna for an even better setup.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:26:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Do they use proprietary batteries?

Not too keen on being locked into some one-off type battery.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are proprietary, at this time, as it is a new design. I expect to see AA or AAA adapter paks availale in the future.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I use both the Baofung UV5RA and the Wouxun KG-UV6D and KG-UV2D for volunteer work I do.  

While the Baofung works well enough and is great for the price, I find the Wouxuns have much better audio.  The rubber duck (short antenna) it comes with is better too. (of course this is easily upgraded) As my hearing is pretty bad as it is (thanks, US Army) I always choose one of the Wouxuns.  I also own my own example of a KG-UV6D and I highly recommend it.  It's actually quite robust.  

Whatever you get in a Chinese radio, make sure you pay attention to the frequency range and stepping to get what you want, they are not all the same even for a given model depends who sells them whether they are marketed by a US marketer or ship directly from China or Hong Kong.

Pay attention to waterproof standard too if that matters to you. For example the KG-UV6D meet standard IP55 which means it can be rained on or sprayed with a hose and still be ok.  The UV5RA and the KG-UV2D do not.

As I have to be outside when I carry it, rain or shine, that matters to me. May not matter to you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They are proprietary, at this time, as it is a new design. I expect to see AA or AAA adapter paks availale in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very few HTs worth having do not have a proprietary battery.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't have a HAM license and don't know if I would ever get one, is it even legal to own one without a license?

View Quote

You can get an FCC GMRS license for about $85 (no testing needed) and both listen and talk on the commercial GMRS (UHF 70cm/440 band) frequencies at up to 50W.

You can listen but not talk on the ham frequencies (VHF 2M band and HAM frequencies on UHF 70cm/440 band) unless you get a ham tech license.

It is always legal to own any radio without a license, but you can't transmit legally without an appropriate license on anything but FRS channels and low power (500 mW).

Here are the GMRS channels you can use on your handhelds with a GMRS license on full power (that's 5W for your handheld):  

There is actually quite a bit of activity around here on the GMRS repeaters, more than HAM sometimes. You can also talk on other 440 band channels, but have to read the rules on power levels etc.

I have some documents on GMRS and what you can and cant do, if you want them email me, or just google it. There's a lot of info out there. GMRS is limited in scope, but you can transmit at up to 50W if your radio is capable of it, so it is an alternative if you want to talk as well as listen.

FRS on the other hand, (those bubble pack radios you see at Cabelas and Bass Pro) is worthless.  Limited to half a watt and fixed antenna mean it has very little usable range, might be useful in a medium sized parking lot.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Ordered one. Will not transmit on it, but after an ice storm here knocked out power in most area for two weeks a few years ago, good thing to listen on, I'd think.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ordered one. Will not transmit on it, but after an ice storm here knocked out power in most area for two weeks a few years ago, good thing to listen on, I'd think.
View Quote

Consider this software to program it with the frequencies you want to listen to. It is by far the best transceiver programing software out there, and trying to program a lot of frequencies into these radios with the keypad will drive you insane very quickly. These people are excellent, Yaesu now uses them to make their programing software and cables.

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/baofeng-handheld-radio-programming-software-s/2224.htm

It is so good that I refuse to buy a radio that isn't supported by RT Systems programming software.

Also look up your repeater directories online to find a plethora of frequencies to program into your radio and listen to.

Also bear in mind that you will not likely get anyone's attention with a handheld in case of emergency unless you are on a repeater.
The range is too short (couple of miles without line of sight).
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#31]
So you all are talking about buying a Chinese radio and paying for the privilege of using Americas EM spectrum.

I don't know whether to get all Rusty Shackleford over the idea of the reds tracking and monitoring you during the coming Red Dawn or to mock you for paying .gov for permission to use your own property.

I thought this was Arfcom, The last bastion of American freedom.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So you all are talking about buying a Chinese radio and paying for the privilege of using Americas EM spectrum.

I don't know whether to get all Rusty Shackleford over the idea of the reds tracking and monitoring you during the coming Red Dawn or to mock you for paying .gov for permission to use your own property.

View Quote

Yeah yeah, ok, But they are making good, cheap transceivers, and giving you full frequency spectrum transceivers that are narrowband complaint and type certified.

Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood pay attention.  You are hemorrhaging market share.  Radio Wars II: Shanghai vs Tokyo
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah yeah, ok, But they are making good, cheap transceivers, and giving you full frequency spectrum transceivers that are narrowband complaint and type certified.

Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood pay attention.  You are hemorrhaging market share.  Radio Wars II: Shanghai vs Tokyo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

shame on you...buy American!    
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Motorolas were made in Illinois.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Consider this software to program it with the frequencies you want to listen to. It is by far the best transceiver programing software out there, and trying to program a lot of frequencies into these radios with the keypad will drive you insane very quickly. These people are excellent, Yaesu now uses them to make their programing software and cables.

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/baofeng-handheld-radio-programming-software-s/2224.htm

It is so good that I refuse to buy a radio that isn't supported by RT Systems programming software.

Also look up your repeater directories online to find a plethora of frequencies to program into your radio and listen to.

Also bear in mind that you will not likely get anyone's attention with a handheld in case of emergency unless you are on a repeater.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My software and cable arrived from them today. I tried programming the UV-B6 manually and gave it up. Saw their ad and said that's for me.
Now I have to list the local repeater frequencies and then it's on to programming the radio.

Next purchase is a mobile 2m/70cm unit. Then it's on to getting my General license.

Then a base station that has the 10m and 6m bands.

Somewhere between all that I'll also be getting a practice key pad and learn Morse.
Shoulda never read that thread.

Oh, and I don't mind using the bad guys equipment against them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top