Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 8/2/2009 2:42:37 PM EST
Bank Teller Chases Robber, Loses Job

SEATTLE (Aug. 2) –– A Seattle bank teller has lost his job because he ran down a would-be bank robber and held him until police arrived. Jim Nicholson, 30, who had worked for more than two years at a Key Bank branch near the Seattle Center, says he understands the bank's strict policy that employees comply with robbery demands and avoid confrontations.

But he told The Seattle Times that instinct took over when a thin man in a beanie cap, dark clothing and sunglasses pushed a black backpack across the bank counter on Tuesday and demanded money.

Nicholson threw the bag to the floor, lunged toward the man and demanded to see a weapon. The man bolted for the door with Nicholson in pursuit.

He chased him several blocks before knocking him to the ground with the help of a passer-by. Nicholson then held the man until police arrived.

On Thursday, Nicholson was fired. Key Bank spokeswoman Anne Foster declined to comment on Nicholson and his actions.

Police and the FBI discourage such heroics. Bank tellers are trained to get robbers out the door quickly and are advised against possibly escalating a situation over money that's federally insured.
Nicholson said he understands why he was fired.

"They tell us that we're just supposed to comply, but my instincts kicked in and I did what's best to stop the guy," he said. "I thought if I let him go he would rob more banks and cause more problems."
Seattle police Sgt. Sean Whitcomb said the best course for citizens is to be good witnesses to crimes.

"When confronted by a violent criminal, it is best to comply unless they feel their personal safety is in jeopardy. It is possible that taking action and confronting the criminal may lead to the injury of the victim or other bystanders."

"You want tellers to be proactive, but you want them to do it safely," said FBI Special Agent Fred Gutt.

The would-be robber, a 29-year-old transient, has a lengthy criminal history, including convictions for theft and robbery, according to court records. Charges in the attempted robbery were not immediately filed.
Nicholson said he has run after shoplifters while working at other retail jobs.

"It's something I almost look forward to. It's a thrill and I'm an adrenaline-junkie person. It's the pursuit," he said.

––––––––––––––––––––––––
I guess sometimes you have to follow your employeer's policies, but damn what is the saying about good people doing nothing?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:46:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 2:47:21 PM EST by Furyataurus]
Originally Posted By Tuckahoe64:
Seattle police Sgt. Sean Whitcomb said the best course for citizens is to be good witnesses to crimes.

"When confronted by a violent criminal, it is best to comply unless they feel their personal safety is in jeopardy. It is possible that taking action and confronting the criminal may lead to the injury of the victim or other bystanders."

FUCK YOU

Tell that to all the ones who got KILLED anyways!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:48:06 PM EST

Fuck yourself.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:48:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:49:36 PM EST
"When confronted by a violent criminal, it is best to comply unless they feel their personal safety is in jeopardy."

When confronted by a violent criminal, at what point is your personal safety NOT in jeopardy?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:49:51 PM EST
The bank probably has some insurance policy that prohibits resistance.
Thus higher fees paid by bank patrons to pay for the higher premiums due to insurance losses resulting from a no resistance policy.
See any parallels to gun control?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:52:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By Milquetoast:
"When confronted by a violent criminal, it is best to comply unless they feel their personal safety is in jeopardy."

When confronted by a violent criminal, at what point is your personal safety NOT in jeopardy?

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:55:23 PM EST
Don't take jobs away from the government. They might take away your job.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:57:05 PM EST
Something struck me as very odd about this article. The fact that SINCE the money is federally insured which is the reason people are told NOT to try and stop things is just another way in which the gov't has taken away people's desire to protect themselves.

Besides, I was mistaken in thinking that the federal insurance was to prevent banks from folding and keeping people's money, NOT necessarily to set up a situation where banks can be robbed w/o even the slightest bit of resistance.

If bank tellers had a gun behind the counter, and used it everytime somene used a bag and letter professing being armed, I bet it would end the practice pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:01:25 PM EST
Is there any truth to the rumor that Seattle police Sgt. Sean Whitcomb is going to be posting his unlisted home number and personal cell phone number so that he can be personally contacted during a robbery and make himself available?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:03:29 PM EST
Well, do the crime, do the time
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:03:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:03:52 PM EST
We are seeing more and more of this in this society, where companies are so deathly afraid of getting sued that they will not allow their employees to defend themselves and/or fight back.

I consider it absolutely disgusting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:05:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By Furyataurus:

FUCK YOU

Exactly! What a douche.

Don't these two go hand-in-hand.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:05:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By Furyataurus:

FUCK YOU

Why the fuck don't the cops "comply" when confronted by violent criminals?

I mean, after all "It is possible that taking action and confronting the criminal may lead to the injury of the victim or other bystanders."

Whitcomb, you're a fuck stain.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:06:06 PM EST

––––––––––––––––––––––––
I guess sometimes you have to follow your employeer's policies, but damn what is the saying about good people doing nothing?

Worked real well for the passengers and crews on the 9/11 planes, complying - didn't it?

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:17:14 PM EST
I'm thinkin' you could replace the words "bank robber" with "member of congress".

Nicholson is own a beer for his PROPER actions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:24:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By kap_x:

Originally Posted By Milquetoast:

My thoughts exactly.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:27:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:28:48 PM EST
If I owned a bank EVERY emplotee would be armed.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:36:44 PM EST
Wife is a bank teller and would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Banks would rather have dead tellers on their hands than a news story like this. They are run by hand-wringers who would NEVER go in harm's way but don't think twice about compromising the safety of their employees to save a buck (ie. not installing the air-lock/metal detector doors in moderate to high-risk areas).

I won't say whether my wife carries at work but she's not worried about losing her job if she would have to defend herself...hypothetically, of course.

TC
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:48:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By bcochran:
Is there any truth to the rumor that Seattle police Sgt. Sean Whitcomb is going to be posting his unlisted home number and personal cell phone number so that he can be personally contacted during a robbery and make himself available?

More to the point can Seattle police Sgt. Sean Whitcomb be holstered and put on your belt...... If not then Seattle police Sgt. Sean Whitcomb is about as much use as a chocolate stove in that situation and should STFU.

If I worked in a bank I'd want the fired guy next to me on the desk and not Seattle police Sgt. Sean Whitcomb.

I'll risk asess my own situation if I come across something like that.... and not have some shiny arsed desk jockey with 20/20 hindsight vision tell me what to do after the fact.

As for the fired bank worker....... GWF (Good work fella)

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:01:59 PM EST
My two accounts at Key bank will be closed tomorrow, as soon as business hours start.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:11:57 PM EST
I think the ex-teller should apply for the police, sheriff or other law enforcement agency position.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:19:10 PM EST
Maybe the bank thinks their employees are too valuable (i.e., takes too much to replace) to have them try to rescue a bag of paper that can be replaced with a few sheets of paper at the mint.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:20:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 4:21:50 PM EST by LoBrau]
Originally Posted By Frost7:

Fuck yourself.

When confronted with a violent criminal, one's personal safety is automatically in jeopardy. End of story.

Nevermind, everybody beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:21:24 PM EST
Bank Teller Chases Robber, Loses Job

SEATTLE (Aug. 2) –– A Seattle bank teller has lost his job because he ran down a would-be bank robber and held him until police arrived. Jim Nicholson, 30, who had worked for more than two years at a Key Bank branch near the Seattle Center, says he understands the bank's strict policy that employees comply with robbery demands and avoid confrontations.

But he told The Seattle Times that instinct took over when a thin man in a beanie cap, dark clothing and sunglasses pushed a black backpack across the bank counter on Tuesday and demanded money.

Nicholson threw the bag to the floor, lunged toward the man and demanded to see a weapon. The man bolted for the door with Nicholson in pursuit.

He chased him several blocks before knocking him to the ground with the help of a passer-by. Nicholson then held the man until police arrived.

On Thursday, Nicholson was fired. Key Bank spokeswoman Anne Foster declined to comment on Nicholson and his actions.

Police and the FBI discourage such heroics. Bank tellers are trained to get robbers out the door quickly and are advised against possibly escalating a situation over money that's federally insured.
Nicholson said he understands why he was fired.

"They tell us that we're just supposed to comply, but my instincts kicked in and I did what's best to stop the guy," he said. "I thought if I let him go he would rob more banks and cause more problems."

"You want tellers to be proactive, but you want them to do it safely," said FBI Special Agent Fred Gutt.

The would-be robber, a 29-year-old transient, has a lengthy criminal history, including convictions for theft and robbery, according to court records. Charges in the attempted robbery were not immediately filed.
Nicholson said he has run after shoplifters while working at other retail jobs.

"It's something I almost look forward to. It's a thrill and I'm an adrenaline-junkie person. It's the pursuit," he said.

––––––––––––––––––––––––

So the police got butt hurt because somebody stood up for themselves?

Never comply with somebody who doesn't have your interests in mind.........that goes for the cops and the robbers.
Top Top