Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/8/2002 7:53:50 PM EDT
HBO is rerunning Band of Brothers, starting tonight. I was working on the puter, when I heard the familiar music sparking up in the background. Its on again on HBO-W (for us DishTV people), at 12am. Anybody else catch the show?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:14:51 PM EDT
Unfortunately I saw it. Now all I can do is think about where I can come up with about $7000 for a Thompson. Shit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:16:05 PM EDT
I taped it when it originally aired. My favorite episode is #7 "The breaking point" it's narrated by 1stSgt. Lipton. It takes place after the break out from Bastogne. E Co. really got mauled in the woods outside of Foy. Since they are running it again I can only assume that they will release it on DVD soon. A great book and a great screen play. It's easy to think that these were unremarkable men in remarkable circumstances but the truth is those first Para Troopers really were the best of the best. They truly were remarkable men.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:31:26 PM EDT
I think the DVDs are scheduled to be released in the fall.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:31:48 PM EDT
Best war movie/miniseries ever . I taped it the first time through .
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:38:16 PM EDT
AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:16:31 AM EDT
Read the book! It's far better than the series.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:41:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By blkbeard: Read the book! It's far better than the series.
View Quote
Better yes...far better, no. The series was perhaps the best thing ever done on television.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:48:18 AM EDT
Saw some good news the other day, they are going to air Band of Brothers here during the summer.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:49:50 AM EDT
Great Series !!!!.... And Yes We Should Never Forget... But any of you ever wonder? I've seen Pear Harbor Survivor Plates on a Mitsubishi Montero. Somehow I think it has been forgotten in so many "action" war films. Do you believe the X and WHY (Y) generation really care?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:02:32 AM EDT
Thanks to that show, I was forced to buy a 101st M42 Jump Jacket and a 101st M43 Field Jacket. A folding stock M1 Carbine is next on the list.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:24:32 AM EDT
Here's something you guyz might like: [url]http://www.hbo.com/band/recreating_the_war/the_patrol.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:33:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NODDAH: Do you believe the X and WHY (Y) generation really care?
View Quote
We have our own Pearl Harbor now. Its hard to feel the same thing my grandfather felt when it occured way back then, but I can take away a better understanding of the war by studying it. When my grandchildren grow up and they're driving the newest Iraqi and Afghan cars, do you think they'll understand how I felt and still feel? Probably, but they won't hate like I do today.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:06:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NODDAH: I've seen Pear Harbor Survivor Plates on a Mitsubishi Montero.
View Quote
Reminds me of the first time I went to Arlington. While walking that sacred ground and becoming more aware of the enormous sacrifice it took to create and keep our Nation free, I was suddenly shaken out of my respectful reflection by a large gaggle of giggling teens laughing and chasing each other around the memorials. As quickly as they started they disappeared into the crowds continuing with their laughing & running adolescent antics. I had never seen such an ignorant disrespect for the supreme sacrifice made by those thousands of ordinary men buried just six feet under our shoes. Those ordinary men were the extraordinary saviors of not just our Nation, but the free world and all its future generations, including those immature human larvae prancing around their graves like it was a gymnasium during a high school pep rally. I tried to catch up to them to wring their necks, but to no avail. But it put an image in my mind that I'll never forget. Oh, by the way, that troop of pubescent ingrates who were descrating Arlington's graves with their infantile display of giggling antics weren't speaking English. They were oriental.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:15:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By shaggy: Unfortunately I saw it. Now all I can do is think about where I can come up with about $7000 for a Thompson. Shit.
View Quote
No shit man I know what you mean I had to run right out and get me a m1a1 carbine "Paratrooper" now looking for a Thompson. I thank HBO is just after my wife cuz they now she's going to divorce if I buy another f$@king thing!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:28:36 PM EDT
I've got a SERIOUS itch for an M1 because of that show! Might even have to get an M1 Carbine in the future too. Medal of Honor isn't helping with the itch either.... I wish my damn club membership and match results would get to me so I can send off my app to the CMP!! M@
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 2:41:25 PM EDT
I have a couple of Garands and love them. But the Thompson is just plain heavy and awkward to shoot. Of course, if it were full auto, that would be another matter. [:)] BTW, did you play the QT movie about the armorer at the HBO link above? Rubber .50 cal MGs? What a hoot!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:02:30 PM EDT
Macallan, I have to disagree about one point--the kids at Arlington. It is not their failing for not realizing that such a sacred resting place is not the place to be running around willy nilly. It is OUR failure for failing to impress upon them the nature and sanctity of that holy ground. Not a dig at you, and from reading your posts, I KNOW you know the point I'm trying to make. Just pointing it out for others who may not, I guess. I watched BOB when it originally aired, but still found myself drawn back to the first episode the other night as well. "No man can be truly free whose liberty is dependent upon the thought, feeling, and action of others, and who has himself no means in his own hands for guarding, protecting, defending, and maintaining that liberty." -- Frederick Douglass, 1882
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:56:16 PM EDT
I disagree as well!! I was probably one of those kids running around when I was a child, now I'm 23 and have a DEEP respect for everyone who fought in WW2, for every war for that matter!! As a matter of fact, I'm joining reserves soon (probably air force) You can't be mad at a child, children do not understand war. Children do not understand sacrifice yet, its up to the parents to slowly introduce that to the children. You have the attitude of someone who has had a bitter marriage, or you've just never have kids yourself. I ask you to "grow up", and not get shot by someone like me, when I catch you "ringing my childs neck".
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:33:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MurderSHO45: I disagree as well!! I was probably one of those kids running around when I was a child, now I'm 23 and have a DEEP respect for everyone who fought in WW2, for every war for that matter!! As a matter of fact, I'm joining reserves soon (probably air force) You can't be mad at a child, children do not understand war. Children do not understand sacrifice yet, its up to the parents to slowly introduce that to the children. You have the attitude of someone who has had a bitter marriage, or you've just never have kids yourself. I ask you to "grow up", and not get shot by someone like me, when I catch you "ringing my childs neck".
View Quote
These weren't "children" they were high school-age, 16-18ish. By that age, I think they either have respect or they never will. And you're right, it is the parent's fault for not raising respectful kids. And you're wrong - I have a wonderful wife and young son. And you're wrong again - you wouldn't shoot me because I wouldn't wring your kid's neck because you'd have already taught them some respect by that age... I assume.
Top Top