Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/14/2010 3:54:13 AM EDT
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-12-13/news/ct-met-evanston-detracking-vote-2-20101213_1_honors-students-honors-level-incoming-freshmen

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 3:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]
don't you know that we reward mediocrity instead of achievement now?

get your shit together man!
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]
White kids who have put the work in can't have honors over brown kids who have not. It's racist.

Nevermind, of course, the brown kids who have put the work in and excel like the white kids. We'll just act as though they don't exist. Lowest common denominator and all that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, please get rid of the only classes I took in school that didn't bore me out of my skull and/or have the lazy teacher have me "tutor" the slow kids during class.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:11:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Ugh, don't get me started.  My oldest daughter was skipped ahead a grade (the school suggested 2 grades––but that would have put her graduating before she could drive).  The school system has an enrichment program, but also integrates the retarded kids into the classrooms.  Half of the instruction period is spent dealing with outbursts from the retarded kids, putting everybody else behind the curve.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:15:19 AM EDT
[#6]
So you take the 95% and above and mix them in with the 40-94%. Good plan. Also lol at 40% being considered okay.

I looked up the Supers page on the ETHS website. There's two paragraphs that make up what is basically a mission statement. 50% is about diversity, 25% is about such nonsense as 'caring' and 'self esteem' and maybe 25% is about teaching and learning (and most of that is still lefty nonsense).

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:15:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
don't you know that we reward mediocrity instead of achievement now?

get your shit together man!

Can't have kids grow up to be independent and self reliant now can we?
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:15:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Cater to the dumbest common denominator, that's the public school way anymore.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Its not fair.  

The white kids fill up the smart classes and the dark ones cant get a chance.  

The dark ones were destined to fail from the start.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, please get rid of the only classes I took in school that didn't bore me out of my skull and/or have the lazy teacher have me "tutor" the slow kids during class.

Welcome to every single motherfucking class I was in in college. When they started offering online versions of a lot of their classes it was the biggest blessing in the universe.

1. Divide class into "Small Groups"
2. Make sure Frost gets assigned a Small Group of the laziest most ignorant motherfuckers in the room so he has to drag them up or his grade suffers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:22:34 AM EDT
[#11]

The plan to eliminate the elite honors class in freshman humanities
comes at a time when Evanston Township High School has repeatedly failed
to meet federal academic standards, requiring a major school overhaul
to increase student performance. The school spends more than
$20,000 per student, one of the highest per-pupil expenditures in the
state.

Ah-ha! There we go. At the end of the article of course.
This, naturally, has little to do with minorities. or even properly educating kids. Basically, the Superintendent, Principal, and staff are utterly failing to teach their students despite spending a shitload of money. It's far easier for them to blame a supposedly racist system holding kids back than to look in the mirror and say, "we aren't very good at this whole teaching thing'. One blames an external force, one requires a reexamination of how they do their actual job.

ETA: It also easily gets them off the hook with parents who believe such things.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:27:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank god I am over the hill, but I am suffering for my grandson....the schools are failing, they are dropout factories...its not the parents but the schools themselves. The Cartel and Waiting for Superman are 2 very scary movies
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:33:34 AM EDT
[#13]
"Administrators insist that the new freshman humanities course will be taught at the honors level and be challenging to all students."

great. so they are setting up a majority of the students in the class to fail??

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:37:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to every single motherfucking class I was in in college. When they started offering online versions of a lot of their classes it was the biggest blessing in the universe.

2. Make sure Frost gets assigned a Small Group of the laziest most ignorant motherfuckers in the room so he has to drag them up or his grade suffers.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:54:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This was a big problem for me in school. I made it a point my daughter wouldn't have the same issues.  I couldn't be happier when we were picking AP classes for her Jr year.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:59:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

"Administrators insist that the new freshman humanities course will be taught at the honors level and be challenging to all students."

great. so they are setting up a majority of the students in the class to fail??

Good. Honors classes aren't all that hard; really the minimum level a student should perform at. Those that excel at time management and are self starters should be in AP and/or Dual Enrollment courses.

The "regular" and remedial classes were full of kids that should have been held back to learn material when I was in high school.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you go to college?

My alma mater is a large research institution. It was sink or swim. I swam most of the time with a couple near drownings.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:06:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Public schools are run by the stupidest fucks imaginable.  Seriously.  Fire 90% of the bureaucracy.  You need a principle and an assistant principle, tops.  The rest just sit around thinking up stupid crap like this.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:07:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The plan to eliminate the elite honors class in freshman humanities comes at a time when Evanston Township High School has repeatedly failed to meet federal academic standards, requiring a major school overhaul to increase student performance. The school spends more than $20,000 per student, one of the highest per-pupil expenditures in the state.

Ah-ha! There we go. At the end of the article of course.

This, naturally, has little to do with minorities. or even properly educating kids. Basically, the Superintendent, Principal, and staff are utterly failing to teach their students despite spending a shitload of money. It's far easier for them to blame a supposedly racist system holding kids back than to look in the mirror and say, "we aren't very good at this whole teaching thing'. One blames an external force, one requires a reexamination of how they do their actual job.

ETA: It also easily gets them off the hook with parents who believe such things.

Holy fuck.  The STATE average is $8,786.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Well hells bells, if you want everyone to be equal just don't graduate anyone and kick them out at 16 years of age.  They'll all be equal and on welfare or if they're an over achiever they'll be on SSI disability for an anxiety disorder.

I took honors and AP classes at a city school.  Our school was the lone high school in Albany, NY.  They combined the downtown and uptown campuses to make things more equal in the late 70's.  I could get out of AP Chemistry and go buy drugs in the bathroom if I was in the market for it.  

For years I was kind of irked at my class standing, I was right at the median but I worked my ass off and was actually behind others that took survey level  (extra slow level) because I got B+ level grades in the advance courses.  In the end I'm ok with it because I now realize I gut a better education and the grade doesn't mean shit at this point.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Good lord. I took all honors and AP classes throughout high school (and even dual enrolled), and did very well in all of them. If they had banned them right when I was entering high school, I would've been beyond pissed. I had one requirement in particular which was a class that was mixed with all the kids, and I would've kicked babies if I had to integrate the rest of my classes with them. It was the worst experience ever. But then again, that's more along the lines of the real world, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#22]
My school was just the opposite.  They had a retard fucktard class that didn't mingle with any other classes all day.  One time we were to be shown an important film and they wanted to speed things up, so they announced to our class that the fucktards behind the accordion partition wall were to watch the film with our class.  We were warned not to talk to them or respond to them if they started acting up.  The wall was moved away and there were all the schools fucktards and delinquents slouching around and giving us the evil eye, daring us in some way.

The film went off without a hitch and the wall was moved back again.

A year later one of the fucktards was somehow in my first hour class.  He had his head down on his desk with a bad hangover.  The teacher told him to sit up and he said "fuck you" and laid his head down again.  The teacher left for a little while and came back to continue with the class.  Minutes later a couple of cops came in, handcuffed the fucktard, and took him away in the patrol car.  We never saw him in school again.

That was about the last year that strict behavior and dress codes were enforced in the school system.  The hippies and their parents won enough "rights" court cases to nullify most all the old standards.

Two years after I graduated I drove by a upper crust high school on my way to and from work.  I was genuinely shocked to see kids going to school looking like Charles Manson at his worst.  Since those days armed guards and metal detectors became common in schools, out of necessity.

We went from Leave It To Beaver to Charles Manson is just two years.

Thanks, Beatles.  Thanks, hippies.  Thanks, druggies.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#23]
This has been a matter of debate for some time, at least since the whole "no child left behind" thing started.

Public schools are getting a lot of extra government money to use for extra teaching of under-performing students––yet most research shows that there's very little benefit at all.
Meanwhile, there is little to no extra funds for advanced student programs, when those are shown to be far more productive.

It would really be better off if the government just got out of the school business altogether.
Stop collecting taxes to pay for them, auction off the properties and let come what may (most most politicians would never advocate the government taking its hands off anything, except for a kook or two ).
In the pursuit if racial and ethnic equality, all the academic standards of the entire system are slowly being eliminated from top to bottom, and along with them, the usefulness as well.

––––––––-

There was a video documentary made some time ago named "Off the grid: life on the mesa".
In one scene a guy with three young kids had left his wife and taken the kids and was living in a camper. He wasn't going to send them to school anymore, because he said nothing that schools taught was important.

It sounded rather unrealistic, but all things considered you have to admit the guy had a point.

Public schools are lowering academic standards, but increasing all the other rules that kids are required to follow. This is a systematic change that is complete, from grade school all the way up through college. What is that really teaching?

And the government takes your money to pay for this, and forces you to place your kids into this system––unless you can afford to pay even more to avoid it, by sending them to a private school or home-schooling them yourself. How long until those options are illegal?
~
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#24]

That movie had a great message to it about rewarding mediocrity..

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#25]
No Child Gets Ahead
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#26]
So as the rest of the 1st Worlds kids are studying math and sciences at a greater rate and understanding than US kids, the freakin liberals are making sure to dumb every body here down, so no one gets their self esteem bruised. Wonderful
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Harrison Bergeron FTW.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would cringe at this being asked of the students in every class I took in college.  I always thought it was horseshit.

Hell, I tried to get around it in some bullshit core class, public speaking or something.  The teacher refused.  I even said I would do the same workload the groups were doing by myself.

Still, they refused.  Its nothing more than a bullshit way to carry the weak.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Harrison Bergeron please pick up the white courtesy phone... paging Harrison Bergeron...
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yes it did. Pretty much the msg of the movie in many ways.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it did. Pretty much the msg of the movie in many ways.  

"And when everybody's a Super, nobody will be..."

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#33]
We will have no rich, we will have no poor
We will have no ignorant, we will have no intelligent
We will have no black, no white, no yellow, red, or brown.
We will have no losers, we will have no victors

We will all be shoved into the blender of mediocrity and turned into a boring dull paste
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm happy to report that our school system is moving in the opposite direction.  We have added accelerated courses beginning in the third grade.  

No Child Left Behind is all about the lowest common denominator.  The real problem is a culture that doesn't value academic excellence,and it begins with the parents.  Kids with involved parents of all races and socioeconomic classes tend to do just fine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

For those that don't get the reference - by telling everyone they are special, means that nobody is special.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I believe that a well educated public is one of the necessities for self-rule and the continuation of the USA as we've known it.

With all the complaining about taxes and welfare spending that comes out on this board, I honestly don't understand why people aren't going over the wall about the US education system.

This is MONEY from YOUR wallet they're completely wasting here. This makes $600 toilet seats look like a prank.
Everyone should be up in arms over this shit, it's only the future of our country at stake.

Singles don't care because they don't have kids.
DINKS don't care because they don't have kids.
AARPS don't care because their kids are grown.
Well-off parents with kids try to get into a good district or go private.
Everyone else just muddles through the best they can or doesn't give a shit and ignores it.

Your hard earned money is being wasted, so why don't you give a shit?

This is the way the Republic ends....apathy and ignorance.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We will have no rich, we will have no poor
We will have no ignorant, we will have no intelligent
We will have no black, no white, no yellow, red, or brown.
We will have no losers, we will have no victors

We will all be shoved into the blender of mediocrity and turned into a boring green paste

fixed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#38]
I think the last election shows that the American people a still a little too smart for their own good so CHANGE needs to be made ,HOPE you like it!  
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Honors courses are a waste of time anyway.  They do not prepare you for college in any way, shape, or form.  You're better off getting a higher GPA in lesser classes when it comes to scholarship money.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#40]
My high school was in the process of doing that when I graduated.  The (completely voluntary) Honors classes were racist, because not enough minority students chose to take them.

This was of course after they got rid of "advanced, standard and basic" by renaming them to "honors, college-prep and 'whatever the name of the class is'" so people's feelings wouldn't be hurt.  How's that for insulting people's intelligence?  The school basically said: "we think you're so fucking stupid you won't realize that we simply renamed the courses, and you're still at the 'basic' level!"  

Of course the school completely went to shit when they got rid of grouping.

When I was there it was a very good school.  Now that teachers have to deal with teaching all the normal kids, the geniuses and the borderline mentally disabled in the same class.  Apparently in English classes, the teachers assign groups and each group gets a chapter of a book that they read together.  The groups then report to the class what the chapter was about and how it made them feel, then the whole class watches the movie of the book together.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Harrison Bergeron please pick up the white courtesy phone... paging Harrison Bergeron...

lol

its both funny and sad that its where we're going. the worst part to me is that many are signing upfor this like its a good thing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#42]
we can't reward those who work hard and succeed.  that would be un-amarskistcan
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thank god I am over the hill, but I am suffering for my grandson....the schools are failing, they are dropout factories...its not the parents but the schools themselves. The Cartel and Waiting for Superman are 2 very scary movies

Actually the parents are generally a large part of the problem.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Did you take AP classes?  They benefited me quite a bit.  I tested out of all my college english classes, and won a scholarship based on the writing skills I learned in AP HS classes.

Quoted:

Honors courses are a waste of time anyway.  They do not prepare you for college in any way, shape, or form.  You're better off getting a higher GPA in lesser classes when it comes to scholarship money.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#45]
spend a gigantic amount of money

employ hundreds of useless dead wood

fail

blame whitey

hmmmm.....   it's like a model of american society
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#46]
some board members were firm in their support, saying the plan was the right thing to do to provide equal access to rigorous courses to all students.

Sometimes I can't believe what I read.

You're better off getting a higher GPA in lesser classes when it comes to scholarship money.

I knew very few kids that took honors classes in my high school who had difficulties getting an A.  Many were rise to the occasion type people.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Did you take AP classes?  They benefited me quite a bit.  I tested out of all my college english classes, and won a scholarship based on the writing skills I learned in AP HS classes.

Quoted:

I tested out of college freshman level algebra, calculus and English 101.  I went on to ace the hell out English 102, but I flunked Calculus 2 and ended taking both math classes that I tested out of (college algebra and Calculus 1).  This was after taking AP every fucking thing they'd let me take

Fuck public schools.  AP/Honors was a waste of fucking time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ugh, don't get me started.  My oldest daughter was skipped ahead a grade (the school suggested 2 grades––but that would have put her graduating before she could drive).  The school system has an enrichment program, but also integrates the retarded kids into the classrooms.  Half of the instruction period is spent dealing with outbursts from the retarded kids, putting everybody else behind the curve.

You can blame the federal Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA) for that one.  There used to be a problem with how retarded kids were handled in schools, so instead of the teachers stepping up and coming up with a solution that would work and not cause a disruption with everybody else, parents got Congress to fix the problems.  One of the key terms here is "least restrictive environment."  That term is why many of these kids are in regular ed classrooms.  Sometimes it may be a good idea to put some of the slower kids in with everybody else, but other times, not so much.  It depends on the class and on the individual kid, not to mention the kind of support the regular ed teacher gets from the special ed staff.  A good special ed staff can make this kind of integration go much smoother.  A bad special ed staff (or one that is hated by the administration) can make it a nightmare.  

In the end, a school can get into hot water if they don't follow IDEA.  Teachers and school systems can be and have been sued for failure to follow it.  It's why, even though I have problems with IDEA, I get pissed off at teachers and schools when they flat out ignore it.  Unlike NCLB, a school can make IDEA work, but only when you have a number of people in there who understand a whole slew of issues.

My mom is a special ed teacher.  Some of the shit that she tells me about what goes on regarding other teachers and administrators makes me go
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
some board members were firm in their support, saying the plan was the right thing to do to provide equal access to rigorous courses to all students.

Sometimes I can't believe what I read.

You're better off getting a higher GPA in lesser classes when it comes to scholarship money.

I knew very few kids that took honors classes in my high school who had difficulties getting an A.  Many were rise to the occasion type people.

I made reasonably good grades in my honor and ap classes.  I went on to come a breath away from flunking entirely out of college my first year.

College-prep classes.  What a fucking joke.

I will say this, though.  When all the high horse assholes in high school with their 4.0 GPAs got to college I was a happy panda when they got dethroned by the dose of semi-reality that hit them.  I enjoyed their pain as they were knocked from their high horse.

I also greatly enjoyed the fact that the shitheels in HS didn't even go to college and ended up either 1) in prison or 2) asking if you'd like fries with that.

Real life really did turn out to be a great equalizer in many ways.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#50]
The public school system I went to from elementary through high school certainly has some problems, but one of the things they got right is advanced/honors/AP/indenendent study classes at -every- level.

In elementary school my best friend got put in the gifted math class. I was jealous as hell! Know what I did? Worked my ass off until I got placed in that same class. I took above grade level and AP classes all through jr high and high school and got college credit for several of them.

Good call, shitcago.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top