Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2001 2:20:26 PM EDT
I'm getting a Savage 30/06 soon and I desperately need to rescope it, since it's coming with a 3-9X Simmons.
A friend of mine has offered me an excellent deal on the Springfield Armoury scope off of his M1A.
Problem= This scope has a rangefinding reticle of some sort, with bullet drop compensation for the M1A, in .308. How much different will the 30/06 bullet act at long range, especially with a different barrel length? Should I pass on the scope in favor of one with a standard reticle or Mil-Dot, or snatch this one up and make do?
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
treetop, you didn`t mention $ but i would think about the fact that there are so many choices out there, and if you look hard enough you can sometimes find them at almost rediculous prices too! just food for thought. good luck.....B&G    (p. s. check out cabela`s private brands also)
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Treetop, I hate to tell you this, but it really does depend upon your use.  Both rifles use the .308 caliber bullet.  However, the SA scope is probably calibrated for a 168 grain Sierra Match King in the 2,550 fps range, or there abouts.  You can use the same bullets in the .30-06 if you are reloading and want to load down to the .308 Win. velocities to match the BDC, but you will be giving up the inherent advantages of the larger case, which can drive the same bullet at 150 - 200 fps+ faster.  Also, the .30-06 can use much heavier bullets and a much wider variety of powders than the .308, further limited what the SA scope can provide.

IMHO, depending upon funding of course, you should hold out for something like one of the Leupold LRT series if it is for long range.  I think the SA will lack the flexibility you may want in the future.  You can use a ballistic calculator to match your scope corrections with your bullet and load and easily correct for any range.  BTW, I thought the article at Sniper Country might be of interest.  [url]http://www.snipercountry.com/c-s-3.htm[/url].
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
There is only about 80 fps difference between the two cartridges until you get above 180 grain.  The difference in trajectory at 500 yards is less than 4 inches with the same bullets.  At 300 yards there is less than a two inch difference.  In either case, you are still in a deer's vitals.

I bet you get just about as much difference between two different 308 bullets as you do between a 308 and '06 with the same bullets.

If you hand load, you could also load down the '06 a little to exactly match 308 ballistics.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the Springfield if it is a deal. You are going to have to be doing some fancy shooting for the drop reticle to make much difference. And if you really get to the point that the scope doesn't suit you, you can sell it with no problem.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the info, guys. I'm going to try to get the Springfield scope from my friend. If I don't like it after a while, I'll just have to buy a .308 rifle to go with it[;)].
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top