Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2003 10:42:30 AM EDT
Has anyone ever used the Ballaster Molinas are they good gun's? Also has anyone heard anything about the 1911 kits that come from FAC for the price there at I'd like to know.

Also is there any other good low price 1911 frames or kits out there at are good thanks for the help.

[url] www.gunsnstuff.net/p/033f.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.gunsnstuff.net/p/033f.html[/url]

fixed the link for you...
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm. Could I get the slide kit and go to 45acp?
Also, what lower parts need to be changed to get rid of the Series 80 crap?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#3]
just buy a springfield mil spec and save yourself lots of time and money.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm. Could I get the slide kit and go to 45acp?
Also, what lower parts need to be changed to get rid of the Series 80 crap?
View Quote

You'll need a new ejector and mags in addition to the slide kit.  changing the ejector is a pita if you're thinking of changing calibers frequently...you might try it with the 9mm ejector & see if it works.  My experience has been that it doesn't do a good job.

Properly adjusted, the "series 80 crap" doesn't make any difference.  If you want to eliminate the 80 firing pin safety, Brownells sells the parts to replace the 2 levers in the frame.  Remove the firing pin plunger and spring in the slide & that's it.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
just buy a springfield mil spec and save yourself lots of time and money.
View Quote

About how much are they going for?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#6]
hanko, can I put the longer slide on the Commander frame?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
hanko, can I put the longer slide on the Commander frame?
View Quote

The dust cover (the part that sticks out the front of the frame) is shorter.  You need to use a Commander slide.  As the Commander has a different slide, barrel, bushing, recoil spring set-up etc. than the GM, there wouldn't be much sense in buying the slide kit.  The GM slide will also only work with a GM ejector, because they use a different height ejector for .45 and 9mm/.38 super.  The Commander on the other hand uses the same ejector for all three calibers I believe, so you'd be able to switch back and forth eaiser.

I built one of these kits a while back.  There wasn't anything hard about it.  It's not a drop together thing though.  There's a great deal of finishing and fitting invovled.  Nothing really hard, just alot of work.  The parts themselves weren't the highest quality either, but it shot good and ran fine when I was done.  Alot of casting marks, etc that have to be gotten rid of, but they are cheap.  

It's not like just assembling your .45 after you've detail stripped it.  You're basically doing the finish work normally done at the factory.  That's why it's so cheap.  Take your time and be prepared for alot of sanding/polishing, but it can actually turn out pretty nice for the cost.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top