Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/11/2005 2:06:32 AM EDT
Ok here is one for the books. During the summer of 1982, not sure of the month, other than it was spring or summer. We had a thunderstorm roll through our area knocking out the power "completely" No lights could be seen "anywhere". My dad was asleep and had been for quite some time. My mother was in the bathroom taking off her make up via flashlight. Myself off to my bedroom.

I remember the year, because I still have the field and stream I was reading on this night. Can't pinpoint the month because it may have been several months old. A hand me down after my grandfather got done reading it. Anyway, mom went to bed and I was reading my mag with a flashlight. When I finished, I put the light and magazine on the floor and closed my eyes, said my prayers and started to sleep. Now this is where it gets REAL interesting. I opened my eyes, and directly above my bedroom door about 2-3" from the ceiling, and 2-3" above the top of the door was something glowing. It was about the size of a 12oz cola - beer can with the top and bottom ends being slightly less wide than the middle. I remembered the edges weren't really well defined kind of fuzzy if you will. By glowing, try to picture a chem. light of the standard green variety that's on its last legs. say 10 Hr's old. Not very bright but definitely "glowing". Anyway this freaked my young mind out BIG TIME. "I was 11 at the time" So I did the close my eyes and rub them thing, thinking - hoping it was night blindness caused by the flashlight. Well it was still there, so I got up the nerve to run under it to my parents bedroom across the hall.

I woke my mother and she came with me to my room. I'm like mom, can you see that. Well, she immediately sits on the foot of my bed and starts crying. Not tears of fear, but tears of joy mind you. "Sign from GOD maybe?" Well this passes and I am strangely calm looking back upon this now. But anyway, she attempts to wake my father and he doesn't want to come check it out. Heavy sleeper and all. Plus he probably just thought my mom was just loony.

So, my mother goes into the living room and gets this footstool so we can climb up and have a closer look. "CRAZY" as that sounds, I know. Well this light, or wherever was not actually on the wall. it was an inch or better from the wall. Floating if you will. the thickness of the thing was about an inch to inch and a half as well. You could sort of see through it. Like think fog/haze.

It made no noise. Didn't have a face or anything like that. Just sort of hung there. Well we watched it for, well fore I don't know how long. Long enough to need to get to bed I guess. 2 hours anyway. So I wound up sleeping in their floor in a sleeping bag that night. I'm telling you man that kind of stuff will plumb trip a kid out. ;-) So the next evening comes and mom, invites my grandparents over to the house that night. She had hung several quilts over the windows to black them out and was hoping to see this "light" again. I however, wasn't necessarily " hoping" to see it again. Well, 23 years later, it hasn't returned. I still live in the same house, in the same room as I did in 82. "Mom/dad divorced, dad died in the bedroom across the hall, I inherited the house." One thing that has had me puzzled is WHY the topic or idea of trying to take a picture of it never came up when we were watching it. Just never did. If this were to happen today, I would WALK if I had to, go get film, a camcorder or whatever. I told my best friend at the time in high school about it and he called BS. I said well ask my mom is all I can tell you to do. Well he did. She started crying again. He is a believer now. I'm just throwing this out here to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I really don't know what to make of it, and I've thought of it a "lot" since then. A friend of mine whose opinion I respect says ball lightning, but most accounts say it doesn't stay around near that long. So I'm stumped. Any ideas? Sorry for the length. 321
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:07:20 AM EDT
Too much too read, not enough pics.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:08:44 AM EDT
Read, you may learn something.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:11:06 AM EDT
Did you hear the one about the truckload of contraband that they confiscated in bama the other day? Took em days to figure out that it was really a harmless load of BOOKS!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:11:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 321Bang:
Read, you may learn something.

Learning makes my head hurt.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:21:31 AM EDT
I had a really scary experience when I was younger....my buddy had a hard time believing me until something similar happened to his ass a few years ago...now he's a believer....I can still remember everything clearly like it was yesterday.......scary as FUCK>
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:51:48 AM EDT
yeah thats pretty crazy. My great grandmother was hit with ball lighting when she was younger. She was sitting in bed watching tv. It floated in through the window and struck her.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:05:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 3:08:26 AM EDT by 321Bang]
Yea that's another strange thing. I didn't actually touch it, but I did place my hand close enough to it, that I could see it light up or reflect might be more like it, off of the palm of my hand. It might not have been such a great idea to consider trying to touch it. You know with the dang that hurt factor and all. I could have wound up looking like this or some might say like this even!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:03:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Confederate:
Too much too read, not enough pics.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:05:33 AM EDT
I know a guy who saw ball lightning twice. Once it bounced off of a semi trailer, onto the ground, and another time it came out of an elevator and bounced around the room. WTF?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:09:11 AM EDT
I would say it was St. Elmo's fire if it hadn't lasted 2 hours. I've seen St Elmo's fire before, but it was blue in color.

www.encyclopedia.com/html/S/StE1lmosf.asp

Was it storming throughout these two hours?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:17:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By windom:
I know a guy who saw ball lightning twice. Once it bounced off of a semi trailer, onto the ground, and another time it came out of an elevator and bounced around the room. WTF?

I've seen that too--"...another time it came out of an elevator and bounced around the room," except it bounced under the TV. It was a severe thunderstorm, and right when a bolt struck very near--I was watching TV--the power went off, and this blue glow with sparkling highlights bounced around under the TV--the old console type--for a few seconds. It sounded like a 4th of July sparkler. I've pondered what that was for ~30 years. I believe the lightning must have came through the antenna, created a St Elmo's fire phenomenon (the blue glow,) and ignited dust (the sparkles.) The signal booster for the TV--mounted on the wall about three feet away from the TV--was burned out in the event. I guess something could have shot out of it on fire.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:18:53 AM EDT
St Elmos fire!?!?!? jeee howecome i never see any cool stuff.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:20:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By injun-ear:
I would say it was St. Elmo's fire if it hadn't lasted 2 hours. I've seen St Elmo's fire before, but it was blue in color.

Good Movie!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:01:20 AM EDT
Can't you make ball lightening in a microwave? I remember something along the lines of this:
1) place some playdoe or something inside the microwave to hold a match sticking straight up
2) light the match
3) blow out the match
4) close the microwave door
5) kick it on high quickly

I think this will cause ball lightening to appear inside the microwave if I remember correctly.

Someone try it!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:28:29 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:35:34 AM EDT
You left out the part with the Alien Anal Probe?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:49:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:49:48 AM EDT
Isn't it obvious?

It was JESUS!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:54:26 AM EDT
My great great-Grandmother use to see something like that prior to someone she knew dying.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:59:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dramine:
Can't you make ball lightening in a microwave? I remember something along the lines of this:
1) place some playdoe or something inside the microwave to hold a match sticking straight up
2) light the match
3) blow out the match
4) close the microwave door
5) kick it on high quickly

I think this will cause ball lightening to appear inside the microwave if I remember correctly.

Someone try it!

that's aluminum foil

and it goes on your head.
Aluminum foil always causes ball lighting
That and green lizard aliens.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:28:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By injun-ear:

As best as I can remember,it wasn't storming when we were actually looking at it. I do remember it being a fairly strong thunder storm though. From what I have "READ" I don't see any way that ball lightning could have lasted that long.
Top Top