Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 8:19:13 AM EDT
Yep! Just heard it on PMSNBC..Huntsville Alabama and others are now going to ban saggy pants. Safety concern, they say there could be concealed weapons.

I think it's stupid..but I hate baggy pants.

Baggy pants ban
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Baggy pants are for morons and thug-wannabees, but I can hide a concealed weapon in my coat or my briefcase?
Are those next?

WTF?

Nice to see cities with such intelligent leadership.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Baggy pants make them easier to catch.  WTH is wrong with peopple?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe it is definitely a shot at the stupid appearance of these pants..I wish they'd go after jean shorts!

That’s what the Louisiana House Criminal Justice Committee approved last week.  The new proposed bill would crack down on anyone who wears low-slinging, pants-sagging, belly-baring, underwear-peeking pants. It faces the full State House sometime within the next two months.

"Baggy Pants Bill"
House Bill 1626, also known as the “Baggy Pants Bill” states: “It shall be unlawful for any person to appear in public wearing his pants below his waist and thereby exposing his skin or intimate clothing.”

State Representative Derrick Shepherd’s bill would make any violator subject to three eight-hour days of community service and up to a fine of $175.

That means the local teens on the basketball court are going to have to keep their pants up, too.

Shepherd told the New Orleans Times-Picayune, "There's a way to shoot hoops professionally. You don't have to shoot hoops with your pants below your waist."

He thinks the waistline location might even improve their behavior.  

"Hopefully, if we pull up their pants," he said, "we can lift their minds while we're at it."

Local councilman Glenn Green said, “It’s getting to the point where these young men and women are just getting offensive with their underwear showing, the cracks between their buttocks showing…their g-strings showing. It’s hard to legislate morality; you can’t really do that. It just comes to a point of plain old bad taste and it’s just gotta stop.”

Executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Louisiana chapter, Joe Cook, does not think the bill will likely pass the full House floor. He said the Supreme Court doesn’t usually prohibit obscene behavior under the First Amendment.

“It infringes on young people’s freedom of expression and their privacy rights. The zone of privacy they have and the right to be left alone,” Cook said.

So, what about your local plumber?

"What about a woman who is wearing a bathing suit under her garment or she has something like a sarong wrapped around her and it's below her waist?" Cook said. "I can think of a lot of workers, plumbers, who are working and expose their buttocks and the beginning of the crack of their anus."

The Times-Picayune notes that this is the fourth effort in five years to legislate jeans-wearing etiquette state-wide in Louisiana.

$500 penalty in one small town
But, one small town has been mandating it locally for years.

In the town of Opelousas, wearing saggy pants is considered a misdemeanor and carries a maximum penalty of a $500 fine and up to 6 months in prison.

Captain Ronnie Trahan with the Opelousas Police Department said, “The problem that we’re having is not with individuals exposing their underwear. We had a problem with individuals exposing more than their underwear.”

And down the bayou in the town of Westwego, a city councilman in 2002 attempted to bar low-riding jeans from public buildings.  (The city attorney warned the city would interfere with freedom of speech and would not meet federal standards, so the councilman later ditched the proposal.)

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#4]
LOL,
Those people look funny as hell when there crotch is dragging on the floor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#5]

I think that the baggy pants "look" is stupid too.  

While talking with a few people that live in the city who are in the lower income bracket, they explained to me why and where this "fashon" came from.  Larger, lower income famlies in the cities usually pass clothes down to younger siblings when they outgrow them.  Now the younger sibling might not be big enough for the new clothes, thus the pants sagging.  Now when these cities pass this law, are they going to fine people who have no choice but to wear baggy pants as their family cannot afford to purchase new clothes for them?  What is next?  No tight jeans or shirts on good looking women as they might get raped in the city?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Sure it looks stupid - but this is America... Wanna look stupid? Be my guest. Who the hell is .gov to tell people what to wear on a public street provided the people are covered in the necessary areas....

Being told what to do with seemingly insignificant issues is just more conditioning of the masses for larger things in the future...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#7]
The baggy pants ban is in direct conflict with the fat ass ban.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Baggy pants make them easier to catch.  WTH is wrong with peopple?

yep its hard for them to run.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

While talking with a few people that live in the city who are in the lower income bracket, they explained to me why and where this "fashon" came from.  Larger, lower income famlies in the cities usually pass clothes down to younger siblings when they outgrow them.  Now the younger sibling might not be big enough for the new clothes, thus the pants sagging.  Now when these cities pass this law, are they going to fine people who have no choice but to wear baggy pants as their family cannot afford to purchase new clothes for them?  What is next?  No tight jeans or shirts on good looking women as they might get raped in the city?

Quit whining.

There is a thing called a belt.  It can be adjusted to cinch at waist level.

If they can't afford a freaking second hand belt from the thrift store, they can use a piece of rope.

If they can't afford a damned length of rope they can braid  together some pieces of the plastic sacks they get their TAXPAYER FUNDED FREE GROCERIES "bought" with foodstamps in and *make* a belt out of it.

Dang.  I forgot.  That would be *work*.

Nevermind.

Well-fitting pants should be a "right" and the gooberment should hand them out free to "poor people".

Shee-yit.  My folks lived through the great dustbowl depression.

You want your pants to stay up?  

You'll figger out a way.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

"Hopefully, if we pull up their pants," he said, "we can lift their minds while we're at it."

Right...By making them criminals
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck it! If we are going to ban clothing howsabout we ban skin tight jeans? I mean they limit your mobility so you could fall and hurt yourself and they constrict your testicles and that can cause health problems/fertility problems.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#12]
To think that the government can tell you what you can wear is fucked up.

No matter how stupid you think it is (I think it's stupid also) you have no right to make their clothing choices illegal.

These politicians making these laws are the same people that will take your guns away from you. ARE YOU BLIND?

Oh, they're banning something I'm not into. That's cool. Oh, the're banning something else I think is stupid. That's cool. Etc or ect or whatever. Years later you get your guns taken away and no one stands up for you because there is no one left.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

They can buy/make belts--they really don't cost much.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right...By making them criminals

+1, I thought that was funny as hell.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Morons.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No matter how stupid you think it is (I think it's stupid also) you have no right to make their clothing choices illegal.

These politicians making these laws are the same people that will take your guns away from you. ARE YOU BLIND?

Oh, they're banning something I'm not into. That's cool. Oh, the're banning something else I think is stupid. That's cool. Etc or ect or whatever. Years later you get your guns taken away and no one stands up for you because there is no one left.

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

Anybody who agrees with a law like this either doesn't understand or doesn't agree with the concept of liberty.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

Anybody who agrees with a law like this either doesn't understand or doesn't agree with the concept of liberty.

+3 Liberty dies to whoops and cheers as ARFcom celebrates the arrival of the fashion police.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Captain Ronnie Trahan with the Opelousas Police Department said, “The problem that we’re having is not with individuals exposing their underwear. We had a problem with individuals exposing more than their underwear.”

Captain Ronnie isn't too bright, is he?

This offense is covered under existing law.  

If these morons have time to hunt for "perps" who MIGHT expose their genitals, then his department's funding package needs a haircut.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#21]
What is the definition of baggy pants? This is just a nother law infringing on our freedom... Soon your going to hear about people getting arested because of baggy pants, and so on and so forth.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Sure it looks stupid - but this is America... Wanna look stupid? Be my guest. Who the hell is .gov to tell people what to wear on a public street provided the people are covered in the necessary areas....

Being told what to do with seemingly insignificant issues is just more conditioning of the masses for larger things in the future...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

WTF kind of excuse is that? Dumb fucks should wear belts, to keep their pants up, even if it has to be a piece of rope. Some people are poor because they are truly bone-stupid.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd rather them ban fishnet wife beaters.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Besides the fact that it sets an undesireable precedent, there is another problem with the law.

It will make idiots harder to identify.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

+3 I would fight it all the way to the top if they hit me with something like that. Amendment 1 FTW.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#29]
While they're at it, why don't they pass a law that women can't wear white after Labor Day. So gauche.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Yep! Just heard it on PMSNBC..Huntsville Alabama and others are now going to ban saggy pants. Safety concern, they say there could be concealed weapons.

Baggy pants ban

I can promise you the police aren't the ones pushing this....

Baggy pants are a cop's best friend (when worn by a fleeing suspect)....

Eg 'Young male, running, no pants'... Very easy description to ID...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Baggy pants ban

I can promise you the police aren't the ones pushing this....

Baggy pants are a cop's best friend (when worn by a fleeing suspect)....

Eg 'Young male, running, no pants'... Very easy description to ID...

Good, because the first time I hear of some moke being arrested or fined for this, I'm gonna say ...

Too many cops.

Sorry.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

+3 Liberty dies to whoops and cheers as ARFcom celebrates the arrival of the fashion police.

+4  And what ARFCOMer doesn't buy a pant size or two larger to carry their concealed weapon!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

+5 we need a pole I think it looks stupid but who the hell is the gov't to decide this

-Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top