Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2002 8:27:48 PM EDT
I am confused.  I know it is illegal to manufacture a new magazine with a capacity exceeding 10 rounds.  Yet, on the internet, I have seen advertised:

Mag rebuild kit for M14.  USGI.  Floorplate, spring and follower.

On another site I see:

Mag bodies M14 USGI.

If one were to order from these two seperate entities, one could easily assemble a new USGI magazine.

What is the deal?  Is this entrapment?  I am baffled.  What if I were to order just for spares for existing magazines?  Would this be legal?

Thanks for any direction to help me stay clear of breaking these confusing laws.

Link Posted: 8/14/2002 3:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they are selling replacement part kits, not kits to assemble a whole new mag.  I could be wrong, but I think that is what's going on.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#2]
You COULD assemble the bodies and rebuild kit to form a new magazine, but I believe it would be illegal. From what I understand, you could use the replacement body to replace a mag you have that doesn't operate or is damaged. In this case you would be free to install the replacement floorplate, spring and follower.
Confused?? Join the crowd.

I asked a similar question when I first found the board. What I was advised was to get some cheap/damaged mag bodies for a few bucks, crush them and hold on to them. Use the new mag body as a replacement for the mag you crushed and your covered.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#3]
The thing is, I have seen mag rebuild kits for sale with everything BUT the mag body for sale.  I have seen mag bodies for sale, but not the rest of the mag.

If I were the prudent sort, I could order these seperate parts for future need when one of my mags wore out.  Problem is, does this constitute "intent" in the eyes of the ATF?  I really do not want to get on their wrong side.  I don't need the legal bills.

I am still confused.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Simple.

Every part of a magazine can be newly manufactured for replacement of an existing pre-ban mag.

If you assemble replacement parts into a functionial 11+ rd magazine, you are breaking the law.
As far as being prosecuted, this is a hot issue of contention here on the board.
Some maintain the burdon is on the posessor to prove it's a legal device.
If this were the case, you would simply save your old mag body to prove it was indeed a replacement.

Others realize that the burdon of proof is always on the prosecution show a crime has been committed, so unless they can prove it's a post-ban, you are fine.

Para-Ordnance used to go to IPSC matches and sell "replacement mag kits" which consisted of every part of the mag. Body, spring, follower, and floorplate.
ATF got video of shooters simply buying a "replacement kit", assembling it in front of the table, and walking off with a new mag. So, I believe there is a letter ruling regarding selling replacement bodies and internal kits from the same supplier.

Link Posted: 8/14/2002 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]
OK.  Soooo, I still have no definitive answer.  Seems as if you risk being the trial guinea pig if you purchase all the parts.

Think I'll just order the spares but no new mag bodies.  I doubt I'll wear them out in my lifetime.  Better still, just buy double the number of mags.  It's easier and ultimately (compared to a trial) cheaper.

Thanks.

James
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top