Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 9:24:36 PM EDT
Well just got back from the worst start to an april fools day....  Started before april 1st but run into the day.

11:30-  Sitting in my living room talking to the family about just random BS when I thought I heard some one burning out (squealing tire) at the end of my driveway.  But theres no squeal at the end...?  So I take a look out the window in the livingroom and see no tail lights in sight.  I start to think what if.....
    So I hop in the silverado (if you guys remember the ciggarate burning hay thread) and head out the drive way, nothing, so i turn right out of my drive way and go up the road.  Its a T like intersection, and I look to the left and see a car sitting in the middle of the road.... and i recognize that car.......  I start walking up to it and i see someone walking twords me, and i said are you ok, He says "Joe, that you"  I go "yea john its me, are you ok, what happened"  Says he was coming up the road when a deer stepped out in the road, swerved to miss it and spun around, and hit the telephone pole.  I could tell speed was a factor, looks like he lost control, spun 180 degrees, hit on drivers door, then spun 180 again facing the same way he was going.  The car was totaled.  Hes bleeding on his arms and right above his left ear.  Made me sick to my stomach and i started having almost like flashbacks of my accident last october.  So i call 911, wait 10 mins, redirect some cars, and a car full of his buddys pull up.  Buncha rich boy coke heads.  Two of em get out go runnin to him.  I look at em, and say "u guys drinking?"  they say yea.  Well i had to break the news and tell em PSP(pa state police) was on the way.  One of the kids that I dont get along with goes, fuck you i aint leaving my friend, i say "ok but your drunk and your gonna get arrested for a UAD, so you had better leave" he walks back to the car screaming "fuck you, thats my friend".  
          Dude, i didnt make you leave is what im thinking to myself.  
             So theres a totaled car, telephone pole spit in half, and live wires.  Neighbor shows up, hes the local fire cheif, he blocks off traffic.  One fire truck, bunch of firemen in home vehicles, and an ambulence (sp?) show up.  John gets checked out, just some cuts.  Then his parents show up.  Forgot to add john is the same age as me, 17.  So they signoff on him not going to the hospital.  Then we talked for a lil bit, he said his thanks, talked some more, then i went home.  

This isnt a joke, no april fools day thing,  this is real life.  Seeing a friend that was just in an accident took me back to my accident,  some lady T-Boned us doing 65, we were in my buddys truck, he was driving, i was in the passenger seat, she hit us on the passenger door, pushed us 60 feet, thru a telephone pole, then we flipped onto the drivers side and had to climb out the passenger window.  Bent the passenger door frame out 4 inches with my head, bent the door itself out about 2 inches even thou thats where the lady hit us.  

I cannot take seeing friends in accidents.  From the looks of the wreck, john shouldnt have made it, but he did.

Makes me wonder sometimes

He was also driving a 91 mitsubishi eclipse

Happy april fools, not for me
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Where in PA are you..  Not wise to get out of your vehicle and approach a pole with live wires hanging..  I know you were trying to help but electricity has no conscience and will kill you at the speed of light, literally.  I see broken poles often.  Wires on the ground, well electricity seeks to return to ground right?    Depending on the heat in the lines you can get nailed 20' away.  And the pole could be live..  Everything is a conductor if you put enough heat into it..  You whack a pole and it comes down..  DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR!  

Hope your buddy is well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
lines wernt on the ground,  It was weird, but it was the same way with my accident, the pole was broke, standing up, and no wires on the ground.

ETA: fire and police wernt sayin much about the pole, maybe just phone lines?  dont know much about that
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
lines wernt on the ground,  It was weird, but it was the same way with my accident, the pole was broke, standing up, and no wires on the ground.

Regardless.  Crack an insulator and bad shit can be lurking..  I've seen a pole catch fire from being energized and 2 hours earlier it looked just fine.  Unless you work with ouside distribution, you have no idea what you are dealing with..  This is not 110 in the wall outlet..  

Glad all is well..  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad to hear your friend is OK. I can relate to the feeling, and its not any better any other day of the year.

My wife rolled over my Thunderbird about 4 months after we were married (this happened 12/1/1999). My 13 month old son was in the back seat. She was going around a slight left turn, swerved to miss a deer, got the rear end into the gravel, and started to lose traction. She didnt realize she had lost traction, and started trying to countersteer to get out of the gravel. About that time, she re-gains traction, goes straight across the road, up a steep bank on the other side at an angle, and the car rolled over in the air from what we understand. The car landed on its hood and roof on the road, and skidded roughly 60-75 feet on its roof and knocked over a sign for a golf course.
Both were uninjured, thank the Lord.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
that sucks, but it could have been a LOT worse as i'm sure you realize.  cars are relatively easy to replace
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where in PA are you..  Not wise to get out of your vehicle and approach a pole with live wires hanging..  I know you were trying to help but electricity has no conscience and will kill you at the speed of light, literally.  I see broken poles often.  Wires on the ground, well electricity seeks to return to ground right?    Depending on the heat in the lines you can get nailed 20' away.  And the pole could be live..  Everything is a conductor if you put enough heat into it..  You whack a pole and it comes down..  DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR!  

Hope your buddy is well.

+1. Not to mention moisture.
If the area of PA you are in is anything like the area I'm in, its also damp tonight, which raises the conductivity of just about anything.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
that sucks, but it could have been a LOT worse as i'm sure you realize.  cars are relatively easy to replace

That is exactly, i mean Down to the choice of word, what i said to him, except "that sucks"

Idk, im headin to bed, night yall
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Directed at me?
I'm very thankful it wasnt any worse. I may come off as a little candid at times regarding women and marraige, but I dont know what I would do without my wife.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Directed at me?
I'm very thankful it wasnt any worse. I may come off as a little candid at times regarding women and marraige, but I dont know what I would do without my wife.

no, it wsa directed at silveradoguy17.  sorry for any mix up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#10]
No Problem.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#11]
UPDATE: johns ok, but the phone company never come out to fix the pole yet...

Pics maybe 2maro.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top