Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 1:00:21 PM EDT
Yes, I had a near - ND about a week ago. What happened? I just got home, and was on the phone with my parents, just talking. My new 1911 was on the table in the computer room, just cleaned after a range trip, cocked and locked with an empty chamber and an empty mag inserted. Without thinking much, I grabbed it and started dry-firing it at the fireplace. About 5 seconds after I dropped the hammer, I realized that I hadn't checked if it was loaded. Luckily, it wasn't loaded, but this is exactly how NDs happen - a stray round mysteriously finds it's way into the gun you thought wasn't loaded, and you try to dry-fire it without checking and BANG! there's a new hole somewhere.

Luckily, I was following Rule 2 - it was pointed at a brick fireplace, about the safest direction there is in my house. If there was a ND, there wouldn't have been any major damage.

But I was violating one of my own rules that I think should be standard - don't mess with guns while distracted, i.e. talking on the phone, watching TV, working on the computer, etc. I've been getting complacent in this lately, and will have to get it back together. IMO, working with guns while distracted is just asking for trouble. That's how TVs get shot. If you feel the need to mess with a gun while watching TV, to help out the hero, or pretend to cap an annoying Liberal reporter, get an airsoft. Guns are powerful tools, and deserve your undivided attention.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#1]
uh-huh.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
... don't mess with guns while distracted, ...

Worth repeating!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top