Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2011 3:43:55 PM EDT
(Health.com) –– With unemployment still high, job seekers who have been discouraged by a lack of work might be inclined to take the first opportunity they're offered. That will help pay the bills, but it could cause other problems: A new study suggests that some jobs are so demoralizing they're actually worse for mental health than not working at all.

I, for one, would be quite happy if I had a job. Any job I have a four-year degree, and while I seek employment with said degree, I'm also seeking employment at minimum wage places and would be damn happy to work there. Just until I can start a career in my field

Read more here: http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/14/unemployment.health/index.html?hpt=T2
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Heh. Mental health is one thing. Starving is another.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Heh. Mental health is one thing. Starving is another.

But with if the job drives you to suck starting your CCW?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Well then you have solved the problem.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a bunch of friends coming out of college with degrees in economics, accounting, sports management, logistics, ect.

None of them can find a job, but they are too stubborn to take a job that pays $12.50 an hour with health and 401k benefits.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh my God, did I ever LOL.

Thank You.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got a bunch of friends coming out of college with degrees in economics, accounting, sports management, logistics, ect.

None of them can find a job, but they are too stubborn to take a job that pays $12.50 an hour with health and 401k benefits.

Wow, I'm under consideration for a job in my field that pays about $21,000 per year. I HOPE I get the job Not only because I need to make money, but I would actually enjoy working there It sucks living at home with mom
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have been through enough jobs to say that no job is better than a job that makes you want to come home and kick the dog every night.

If you hate your life every day for 8+hrs it will get to the point of ruining your marriage, ruining your relationship with your children, and ruining the relationship with everyone around you.

I would rather be hungry and happy than angry and rich.

The truth. Ask me how I know. Everything except the rich part.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I absolutely fucking DESPISE my current job. I mean really really fucking hate it. I have to talk myself into getting out of my truck every morning to walk in the building but I just can't quit until I have something else, and there is not a whole lot out there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have been through enough jobs to say that no job is better than a job that makes you want to come home and kick the dog every night.

If you hate your life every day for 8+hrs it will get to the point of ruining your marriage, ruining your relationship with your children, and ruining the relationship with everyone around you.

I'm ruining my engagement and people around me are tired of hearing me complain about my job.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wait till they see their student loan payments.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm ruining my engagement and people around me are tired of hearing me complain about my job.

I feel for you.  I've been promised a detective slot since October 2009.

Thanks to the economy, no funding for another slot.

I hate being on patrol.  Same BS, 3 different agencies, over a 14 year span.

If the wife gets the big raise in the next year, I'm going to bag groceries or be a walmart door greeter for gas & ammo fund.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well then, they didn't learn much about Business OR Life in College.

Its Improvise, adapt and overcome, not theorize, create unworkable model and fail............  Life is fluid, change is inevitable and things are  not bad, just different.  It has happened at least once a decade in my adult life.    

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh my God, did I ever LOL.

Thank You.

Same here.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have bills to pay, sure, take a shitty job.

I've been in the situation where I've had good money, no bills, and working an extremely shitty job just to have a job.  No thanks.

I'm not talking about shitty as in hard work either, hard work is what I like to do.  Just plain shitty, and I didn't need the money.  That's when it sucks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That about sums it up!!  Im the angry rich one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I absolutely fucking DESPISE my current job. I mean really really fucking hate it. I have to talk myself into getting out of my truck every morning to walk in the building but I just can't quit until I have something else, and there is not a whole lot out there.

I've had more than one job where the best two weeks I spent there were the first and the last.
it's a crappy way to live.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Get out of my head.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#23]
lets start with I HATE my job.
I love what I do
or at least used to
but to me its better than having my wife support me in this economy
because if I left it, thats what would happen
I would not find anything even close to my pay now
it would be off to fast food for me

speed
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think they are dead wrong. Taking a menial job when you are qualified for something better, but are truly not able to find the better job is not demoralizing, at least to a person with a healthy work ethic. Working that shitty job will reinforce the notion that you CAN provide for yourself, that you CAN make ends meet, that you CAN do whatever it takes to support yourself and your family.

On the other hand, sitting on your ass and continuing to suck the government teat will cause more damage to a persons ego than a shitty job. After a long enough time on the teat they find themselves with no motivation, they will rationalize a lack of drive, they will become accustomed to letting somebody else work while they sit around the house and play Xbox and watch cable TV, after all, it is better than working a shitty job?

Yep.

A crappy job should be viewed as nothing more than a stepping stone to a better job - It buys you time until something better comes along.

Most of us have had shit jobs at some point in our lives. What separates the men from the boys is the desire and drive to land a better job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top