Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 10:17:03 PM EDT
Seriously, not every time but a large majority of the time if I go to sleep on my left side I will have a bad dream. However, once I wake up and swap sides, I will usually not dream again or it won't be bad.
Bad dreams can be defined as many things, there are many times when I know I am dreaming and have actually forced myself to wake up during lots of dreams. Sometimes the dream it self isn't bad but I still feel so anxious that all I want is for it to end, or I will hear very high pitched noises that also cause the anxiety and the urge to wake up. Some times it seems like it takes forever to force myself out of a dream.

I mean this seems like some crazy Inception shit going on but I wonder what there is to this? I Googled the whole sleeping on one side thing and there were some interesting responses but I just wonder what the hive thinks. Am I teh crazy?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Our internal organs are asymmetrical.  I don't like sleeping on my left, I think it messes up my digestion a little.  Big fan of sleeping on my right, though.

And yeah, if your internals feel a little off, you'll get strange dreams.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#3]
First time I go to sleep I dream well (I think) If I wake up too early and go back to sleep I have some fucked up dreams that usually I wake up in a pool of sweat.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If I fall asleep on my back I have crazy dreams...  usually within the the first hour of sleep.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Our internal organs are asymmetrical.  I don't like sleeping on my left, I think it messes up my digestion a little.  Big fan of sleeping on my right, though.

And yeah, if your internals feel a little off, you'll get strange dreams.

That actually makes sense, never thought of that. I have had strange dreams like this as long as I can remember but just in the past couple years I found that sleeping on one side seems to provoke the bad ones more often. Sometimes the dreams seem so real it takes me a minute or two to come back to reality when I wake up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Sometimes dreams are significant.

Sometimes they're just "wtf is going on", which this sounds like.  Or fever dreams, those are the worst.

Sometimes they're nothing.

But if you have a recurring dream, or a dream that you remember for a few days, look up some of the stuff in it here:  http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/a.htm
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish I could make myself have bad dreams that easy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
For me I can't sleep on my right side.  

But mine is more mental because the window is to my left and I don't like it "shades pulled" dark but I can't sleep in a way that keeps me from seeing out it.

ETA - Could it be in your head?

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]
When you sleep on your left side are you facing your SO?  

I keed, I keed  
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Most of the time, I wish I could get rid of it. It's so wierd because even the most normal of dreams can be terrible because of the feeling that can come with the dream. Everything seems fine but like I said, sometimes there will be what seem to be extremely loud high pitched noises or just a very bad feeling of anxiety that will make me realize at that point that I am dreaming and then I go through the process of waking myself up only to stare at the dark cealing wondering, WTF? This doesn't happen all the time but it's common enough that I am posting on ARFCOM about it
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I keed, I keed  

What is this SO you speak of?

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If I fall asleep on my back I have crazy dreams...  usually within the the first hour of sleep.

Damn straight. Even visits from the succubus.

But I can sleep on either side no problem.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
WTF?

I sleep in the prone position, snugly holding my sandbagged AR which is aimed at my bedroom door.

I rarely have nightmares.

When I do, they're loud.

TR85.

That's beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the time, I wish I could get rid of it. It's so wierd because even the most normal of dreams can be terrible because of the feeling that can come with the dream. Everything seems fine but like I said, sometimes there will be what seem to be extremely loud high pitched noises or just a very bad feeling of anxiety that will make me realize at that point that I am dreaming and then I go through the process of waking myself up only to stare at the dark cealing wondering, WTF? This doesn't happen all the time but it's common enough that I am posting on ARFCOM about it

The witch is pushing you down...

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit! That describes a lot of what happens. I am fully aware or close to it, but I am clearly asleep. I do suffer from migranes but I have never really noticed a link between bad dreams and a migrane. Thanks for the link! I will look more into that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit! That describes a lot of what happens. I am fully aware or close to it, but I am clearly asleep. I do suffer from migranes but I have never really noticed a link between bad dreams and a migrane. Thanks for the link! I will look more into that.

This shit used to kick my ass when I was a boy. I was certain I was being visited by ghosts or monsters or something.  I grew out of it by the time I was 18 but I still didn't know what it was until I was in my 30s.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keed, I keed  

What is this SO you speak of?

Sheriff's office?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I get weird/trippy dreams when I eat at any one of the "_____bertos" mexican places too late lol.  I had one that all I remember is everyone in my entire life was in it from friends/classmates in elementary school all the way to current friends/co-workers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
WTF?

I sleep in the prone position, snugly holding my sandbagged AR which is aimed at my bedroom door.

I rarely have nightmares.

When I do, they're loud.

TR85.

FUCK YEAH

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No succubus but really vivid dreams with no escape.

Maybe I'll get some succubus action tonight.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No succubus but really vivid dreams with no escape.

Maybe I'll get some succubus action tonight.  

I used to have vivid hallucinations with this shit. I levitated out of my bed and spun in the air once, then "awoke" still in bed flat on my back in a pool of sweat, all while hearing a loud and overpowering buzzing sound... that was when I was about 13.  The first time it ever happened I was about 11 years old and travelling with my family, staying in a Howard Johnson's in ABQ NM. While lying on my side unable to sleep the next thing I know a small but very vicious animal starting tearing the flesh off of my arm as it hung off the side of the motel bed... that time the loud buzzing sound was the snarls and growls of the little monster as it attacked me.

All in all the intense episodes happened maybe 8 or 10 times to me when I was a kid. The last time was the most peculiar and helped convince me that it was all in my head... I had a "vision" of three riderless dirt bikes jumping over a barn, with the sound being two stroke motor revving noise. I was about 14 then, and the contents of that hallucination were so absurd I had to believe it was just a dream or all in my head.  I stopped worrying then and they just went away.

Then one day about 20 years later I stumbled across an article on the web that described sleep paralysis.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top