Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2002 9:53:09 AM EDT
The repairman tells me that my GE (piece-o-crap) refrigerator is about to go belly up.  He recommends a new one, and says he likes Whirpool, Kitchenaid, and Maytag the best.  Anyone know who makes Kennmore refrigerators, the price seems good on them but I do not want another GE unit.

I am hoping to keep this under $600-700.  Any recommendations?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless it's changed, Kenmore appliances are made by Whirlpool.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Unless it's changed, Kenmore appliances are made by Whirlpool.
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#4]
If Kenmore=Whirpool that is good news.  Looks like I can save some $$$ and still buy guns!

Thanks,

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If Kenmore=Whirpool that is good news.  Looks like I can save some $$$ and still buy guns!

Thanks,

GunLvr
View Quote

Best plan would be to go to Sears & inspect the fridge. Then go to the Wirlpool place & compare the 2. You can tell as soon as you look at them that the only difference is the Label.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information.  What sorts of features do you guys look for in refrigerators?  Our current (piece-of-crap) GE model is 19 cu feet, has nice interior shelves and door trays.  No water or ice machine on the current one.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Where's DrFridge? He should be here by now!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I got about a 24 cubic foot stainless side-by-side Kenmore (Whirlpool) a couple of years ago when my old clunker died.  My electric bill went down by about $30 per month, and my food keeps about twice as long as it used to.

I went to the Sears Outlet store in San Diego.  That's where they sell off blemished and returned items.  If you have such a place anywhere near, check it out.  My 'fridge was marked $1,850 retail.  I paid $800.  Had to un-tweak a few things but it runs great.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the information.  What sorts of features do you guys look for in refrigerators?  Our current (piece-of-crap) GE model is 19 cu feet, has nice interior shelves and door trays.  No water or ice machine on the current one.

GunLvr
View Quote

All I like is an Ice maker. The water / ice dispenser is nice, but you lose capacity for beer or frozen pizza with that crap. I prefer overhead freezer to side x side. You are just too limited with them. Imagine putting a leftover large pizza box in one or the turkey from thanksgiving dinner in that skinny section.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
What specificlly did the repairman say is wrong with the old 'frigate? If it is not the compressor or someone poked a hole in the tubing, the most thing that fails is the defrost timer. The timer cost about $50, about 10 years ago. Reader's Digest publishes a home repair manual with a blue cover on how to fix refrigerators. If you are fairly adept mechecially and have a VOM you may possibly want to attempt it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Try to find a used one at a garage or estate sale. but smell it carefully BEFORE taking it home.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Kewl......I just bought $1200 worth of Kenmore Fridge a couple weeks ago for our new home.  Maybe one day I will get this thing completed and be able to actually live in it! Anyway,  this thread had me pizzed of there for a minute. I pulled my boots back on, grabbed a flashlight, and took off up the new driveway to go check the source code of my new fridge.  

It's a 106. :)
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What specificlly did the repairman say is wrong with the old 'frigate? If it is not the compressor or someone poked a hole in the tubing, the most thing that fails is the defrost timer. The timer cost about $50, about 10 years ago. Reader's Digest publishes a home repair manual with a blue cover on how to fix refrigerators. If you are fairly adept mechecially and have a VOM you may possibly want to attempt it.
View Quote

Repair guy said that compressor has the "ping of death" when the fridge starts up.  Which apparently means the compressor is going.  Opening the freezer compartment we see that only about 1/6 of the evaporator coils have frost on them, the rest are frost-free.  When I opened it 3-4 weeks ago only half the coils had any frost.  Also repairman noticed that even my freshly-made ice cubs have a funny look, apparently the temp in the freezer is below 32 but well above 0 (I will get thermometers to check this).  Fridge is a GE 19.1 cubic foot model made in October 1988.  Has previously had a new door gasket, and a new heater timer and switch replacement (all that cost me $300 thanks to GE service).

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks DrFridge for the great advice!  [beer]

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#19]
DrFrige, I have a Kenmore (by Whirlpool) that was used for 4 years, then it sat in my garage for 4, now I have moved to a place where I can use my fridge. What do I have to do to clean out the water system? When I moved I drained out the tank and lines as much as I could. I don't want to catch some weird bug from the lines.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#20]
SHIT!  I just spent $950 on GE fridge.  Where were you guys when I need you!  I just bought my girlfriend a GE too.  It was a display unit with a little ding in the side,  $650.  Great this is all I need.  My AC just died too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Crap - I just bought a 25 cu ft GE myself......
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I just bought a Kenmore last year and was told it was made by Frigidare, I guess you never know what your going to get with a Kenmore.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not a big fan of Frigidaire either. My Frig washing machine had the transmission go out but it was covered under warranty. Now it's going out again.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SHIT!  I just spent $950 on GE fridge.  Where were you guys when I need you!  I just bought my girlfriend a GE too.  It was a display unit with a little ding in the side,  $650.  Great this is all I need.  My AC just died too.
View Quote

Doc, hopefully you will be okay.  My repair guy said that they fixed the compressor problem I have (but the GE models still need more repairs than Whirpool).  Probably helps to be aggressive about maintenance as DrFridge recommends.  My GE model was only 13 years old.  My parents have a GE fridge as old as their house (35 years).  Has needed some minor repairs over the years.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top