Posted: 9/13/2005 8:38:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
works fine with bacon

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I've worn out two or three of those things, I use to use one all the time until I got a wife.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand it's value. Why not fry bacon on the stove? I'm serious.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The George Foreman grill is AWESOME!!!

All you do is plug it in.......... put meat or veggies on it, and if you have done it enough you can just time the cooker..................................
..........then Presto..........................F-----O------O------D!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Anybody catch the college cookoffs using only the George Foreman grill?
Outstanding.  Students were making baclava and other high-end dishes using only their George Foreman(tm) grill.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I bake my bacon in the oven at 400F.  It stays nice and flat, it's a lot less fatty, and it doesn't make a mess.  Just put it on a metal cooling rack in a sheet pan or something that can let the fat drip away.  If I want less fatty bacon, I start it in a cold oven, but if I want to keep a little fat, I let the oven pre-heat for a few minutes.  And it saves all the bacon drippings if I want them for something else.

I have a small Foreman that someone gave me when they bought a bigger one, but it's so hard to clean I rarely use it.  It does cook chicken breasts and frozen hamburger patties pretty fast though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#8]
George Foreman Grill is a pain in the ass to clean.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

WTF?
1.  Don't use metallic utensils.
2.  After cooking, leave it on so it heats up all the way.
3.  Wipe it with a sponge or a wet paper towell.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I bake my bacon in the oven at 400F.  It stays nice and flat, it's a lot less fatty, and it doesn't make a mess.  Just put it on a metal cooling rack in a sheet pan or something that can let the fat drip away.  If I want less fatty bacon, I start it in a cold oven, but if I want to keep a little fat, I let the oven pre-heat for a few minutes.  And it saves all the bacon drippings if I want them for something else.

I have a small Foreman that someone gave me when they bought a bigger one, but it's so hard to clean I rarely use it.  It does cook chicken breasts and frozen hamburger patties pretty fast though.

Of course, you are correct.
The BEST way to cook bacon is in the oven.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

I don't use metallic utensils.
The longer it stays on the more baked on the food gets.
Sponge or paper towel?  I have to use something with a bit more scrubbing power than that.

The worst is that the trays don't pull out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

On various models they do.

Never had a problem with food sticking to mine. Perhaps yours is scratched up?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On various models they do.

Never had a problem with food sticking to mine. Perhaps yours is scratched up?

Go figure that I get the model they don't.

No scratches.  The stuff that sticks is mainly spices, pieces of chicken that got burnt on, etc.  If I just stick to cooking just a piece of meat it usually does ok.

My only other complaint is that their should be some kind of way to control how hot the thing gets.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

+1 ... I have a Foreman and a Hamilton-Beach grill. Just leave it hot and wipe down with a wet paper towel. Most of the stuff will come right off.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#16]
The non-stick cooking surfaces clean off fairly easily, but I could spend half an hour wiping out all the little nooks and crannies and hinges, etc. and still not feel like it is really clean.  Fair enough, but not super-clean.  My cooking plates are non-removable.  It would be easier if I could take them out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Go figure that I get the model they don't.

No scratches.  The stuff that sticks is mainly spices, pieces of chicken that got burnt on, etc.  If I just stick to cooking just a piece of meat it usually does ok.

My only other complaint is that their should be some kind of way to control how hot the thing gets.

The new model (Which I just bought) has removeable heating plates...just detach 'em from the main unit, and throw 'em in the dishwasher. Presto, clean.

It also has an actual on/off button now, a timer, and a thermometer like an oven...set the thing to 350 or 400 degrees, wait for it to beep saying it's at temp, and cook away! I dunno how new it is, but man it was a way worthy buy. My original one didn't have an on/off button (just plug it in and it's on), no timer, no temp control, and no removeable surfaces to clean. It's scratched to shit now and retired...but it always worked real well, including the breadwarmer on top.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess one of the main reasons I don't really use mine is that it seems kind of redundant.  What can it do that my oven, toaster oven, and microwave can't?  I just never think about using it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#19]

I think I've worn out two or three of those things, I use to use one all the time until I got a wife.

You were 'using' it to cook with right?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Mine has removeable grills that go in the dishwasher....

There is nothing that cooks chicken breast and hamburgers quicker that doesn't dry out the meat.  For doing a bunch of sammiches, the things are priceless.  

Try heating up your oven to cook a sammich.  Takes a while, doesn't it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top