Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/1/2013 10:07:26 PM EST
So as I delve more and more into acquiring my equipment to start backpacking I come to the decision of what shelter to buy. These tents are damn expensive!!!

Can anyone think of a good 1-2 person tent for somewhere around 100 dollars?

Should I just stick with a tarp shelter (recommendations on what style?)
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 10:20:08 PM EST
tube tent
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 10:25:52 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By phideaux:
tube tent
View Quote
This is a good, cheap way to get started.

It all depends on the season for me, but here in Arkansas, I can usually get by with a simple fly type tent using my hiking poles as masts at either end.

If I am afraid of weather I will usually take my Big Agnes Jack Rabbit if I am alone, or my Sierra Designs Omega Cliplight if I'm going with my old man. Both of those are much heavier and far costlier than either a tube tent or a fly tent however.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 10:33:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By Kanati:

It all depends on the season for me, but here in Arkansas, I can usually get by with a simple fly type tent using my hiking poles as masts at either end.

If I am afraid of weather I will usually take my Big Agnes Jack Rabbit if I am alone, or my Sierra Designs Omega Cliplight if I'm going with my old man. Both of those are much heavier and far costlier than either a tube tent or a fly tent however.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
tube tent

+1 for Big Agnes
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 10:33:20 PM EST

View All Quotes
tube tent

I plan on doing a large part of my backpacking in Arkansas
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 10:36:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/1/2013 10:46:42 PM EST by phideaux]
I lived in a tube tent for an extended camping trip of three weeks in summertime Alaska. it's just a tube of plastic. grab the ends and gather them up inside and put a rubber band around it it to keep out all moisture. you will need something like a short section of pvc pipe in one end to allow fresh air in. never forget fresh air, it's important. the tube tent is more of a survival item than a portable home like a tent is. it weighs almost nothing, but i'd carry an extra for a backup in case you tear your primary. If I was going to do it again, I like this Bivy Tent
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 10:41:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/1/2013 10:43:25 PM EST by Tyrendeth]
http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent

Tent

I use this, it works well for me.

Edit for hotlink
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 10:57:12 PM EST
Not $100 but I really like my improved combat shelter thingy a whole lot..
I got it off a friend for $200 new and don't mind the extra weight for the short 1-2 day stuff I do.

Nice a small with minimal room to heat up and lots of cool features.. Stands up well in clod high desert winds out here in Ca.. Was toasty at -14*F last winter when a surprisingly intense storm blew in. The black out fabric is pretty near too... Your buddies can't see you fapping!

They are usually around $300 though..
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 11:06:47 PM EST

Link Posted: 12/1/2013 11:16:33 PM EST
Etowah tarp starting at $35 he's the guy who makes the tarps for bushcraft USA, only they're cheaper from him and free shipping. He can do coyote or other colors if you ask him for a slight up charge. Real good guy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 11:25:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By Tyrendeth:
http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent

Tent

I use this, it works well for me.

Edit for hotlink
View Quote
Thats not bad for the price, but its a bit heavy for solo work.

Link Posted: 12/1/2013 11:30:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By mtnbkr5234:
Etowah tarp starting at $35 he's the guy who makes the tarps for bushcraft USA, only they're cheaper from him and free shipping. He can do coyote or other colors if you ask him for a slight up charge. Real good guy.
View Quote
This. I started out with one of these and they are great for a low budget tarp tent. Add a smaller ground tarp to keep your backside dry and you're good to go for most mild Arkansas weather.

This is pretty similar to the one I'm working with my old man on making. He's a whiz with a sewing machine.

Link Posted: 12/1/2013 11:37:33 PM EST
I use a Eureka! Solitaire for backpacking. It's very small, but for me that exactly what I want and it's kept me dry through some serious downpours. You can buy them for under $100. The poles that come with it kinda suck, and I would recommend buying some aluminum ones.

Link Posted: 12/1/2013 11:41:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By 3O8junkie:

+1 for Big Agnes
View All Quotes
tube tent

+1 for Big Agnes

+2 for big agnes. top notch stuff..

OP, $100.00 is not much money for a shelter. but if thats all you have to spend look into getting a used tent. lots of people buy expensive gear and only end up using it a couple of times before selling it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 11:46:39 PM EST
I just use an army issue bivy bag, and if its bug season I add an Outdoor Research Bug Bivy.

Super lightweight and compact. And you can watch the stars at night, which is one of the best parts of camping.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 11:50:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By glocke12:

View All Quotes
snip

+1 for Big Agnes

I love my Big Agnes, I will (and have) take it anywhere.

This is where I took it to Alaska a couple years back. That white devil in the background is Denali.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 12:16:13 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 1:28:41 AM EST

OP, $100.00 is not much money for a shelter. but if thats all you have to spend look into getting a used tent. lots of people buy expensive gear and only end up using it a couple of times before selling it.
View All Quotes
tube tent

+1 for Big Agnes

Tents are not cheap but there are deals to be had if you look especialy now or maybe a couple of weeks from now. Keep an eye on sites like Steepandcheap they have legit deals on good gear all the time. I got my tent, the BA Copper Spur UL4 which is a $599 tent there for $279. They have a bunch of everyday deals and a rotating deal as well. What they have is not always a SCREAMING deal but if you know what you are looking for a the regular price you can find things on sale cheap. I know yesterday I think it was EMS had a good MSR tent up for a great price for either Black Friday or "Cyber Monday" as they like to call it. Like I said just keep your eye out and if you have patience you can find a great deal on something good.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:07:25 AM EST
If you are looking for a 1 man tent under $100 check out the Eureka Spitfire. Easy to find cheap and gets good reviews for a mass produced tent. I would stay away from the Solitaire as their fiberglass poles tend to split; its also too small to be a comfortable 1 man tent. Its closer to being a bivey.

Appt Trails may be an option for you. Check out the MkIII and the MkV. Rather lightweight and plenty of room.

My personal favorite is Judy over at Lightheart Gear. Little outside your price range, but Lightheart is a small cottage production shop in NC. Great tents and great customer service.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:12:32 AM EST
This is what I have, a little out of your range, but a great tent for backpacking

Tarp tent - Contrail
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:19:44 AM EST
I have thought about tents myself. What is a good SHTF tent for say camping in extreme cold or just normal winter?
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:34:39 AM EST
depends, how fond of you up bugs crawling on you while you sleep?

if you don't mind go with a tarp Or a tube tent
if you do get a tent or a hammock
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:35:23 AM EST
This time of the year in southern indiana ill take my eurika, in summer I use my hammock system with a fly if there's a chance of rain.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 2:35:56 AM EST
+87 for Big Agnes... amazing gear!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 3:31:45 AM EST
I have been looking for a backpacking tent as well but you're not going to find much at $100.
I have been looking at these guys as these are made in the USA by a veteran owned business.
http://www.litefighter.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FS1100A

Cool thing about this shelter is it is modular and you can just use the ground sheet plus the rainfly/poles for a really lightweight shelter or you can just use the bug net if you are not expecting rain and want something open and cooler in the summer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 3:35:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/2/2013 3:42:59 AM EST by hooligan223]
Arkansas? Hammock and a nice rainfly. Once I tried it I'll only sleep on the ground if I absolutely have no other choice.

ETA: Here is a nice lightweight tarp. You can add a door kit later to close in the ends for more coverage during the cold months. Made in USA too.

I use a cheap Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock, the Wilderness Logic tarp linked to above, and a DIY suspension. I have less than $130 in the whole setup and it's much lighter than carrying a tent. You would probably need to add a bugnet.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 3:44:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/2/2013 3:45:48 AM EST by heeler1]
As one who no longer back packs I am seeing some interesting tents here and at very affordable prices.

Fwiw my last back packing tent purchased was in 1983,and I still own it,was an American made Marmot Mountain Works Taku.
All Goretex so no fly was needed.
Less than 5 pounds packed.
Was in a 60+ mph mountain wind one night and it barely even ruffled.
Never leaked either.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 3:52:10 AM EST
Once you try hammocking, youll never go back to a tent. Id suggest looking into it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:05:26 AM EST
A Eureka tent will serve you well. Just remember to re-seal the seams every year and duct tape any holes and place a tarp or contractor bag underneath to prevent the floor from getting damaged. A good quality tent will last you many years.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:11:11 AM EST

Tarp, Bungee cords, 550 cord.

The imagination is the limit.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:57:37 AM EST
This is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:19:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/2/2013 9:20:28 AM EST by Ridgerunner9876]
Originally Posted By Tuckahoe64:
If you are looking for a 1 man tent under $100 check out the Eureka Spitfire. Easy to find cheap and gets good reviews for a mass produced tent. I would stay away from the Solitaire as their fiberglass poles tend to split; its also too small to be a comfortable 1 man tent. Its closer to being a bivey.

Appt Trails may be an option for you. Check out the MkIII and the MkV. Rather lightweight and plenty of room.

My personal favorite is Judy over at Lightheart Gear. Little outside your price range, but Lightheart is a small cottage production shop in NC. Great tents and great customer service.
View Quote

Probably the best one going in this price range. Plenty of room and you can sit up inside.

Bivys SUCK! (as used as a tent. There's no room). Especially in bad weather. A bivy cover is handy to keep your bag from getting wet. Commercial ones are much lighter than the GI but, if you're on a budget, the GI bivys are ok. A bivy and a tarp aren't a bad way to go.

I got some good deals keeping an eye on ebay. Got a NF Tadpole for 60 bucks. Neat little tent.

If you're doing the App trail, there are shelters along the way that a lot of folks use. It's not my thing but some guys make use of them and just bring a very minimalist tarp shelter for emergency.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:20:40 AM EST
Hammock tent. Fuck that cold ground shit.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:22:55 AM EST
Yep Hammock FTMFW

Once you go Hammock you never go back.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:24:34 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:27:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
Hammock tent. Fuck that cold ground shit.

http://i.imgur.com/E4ZN4nL.jpg
View Quote

That's smart right there. No hard ground to sleep on or toting around an air mattress.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:28:33 AM EST
I agree, get a camping hammock. Never have to worry about smooth and or level ground again. I have a Hennesy Explorer deluxe zip and I love it.built in bug screen and came with an asymetrical tarp. I replaced that
with a hexagonal tarp, (bigger). I also got something they call "snakeskins" to store it in. with these, your rig never has to touch the ground at all. the whole the is very light and doesn't need any poles at all.

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:29:12 AM EST
big fan of Hennessy hammock!
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:35:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:52:30 AM EST
Warbonnet Blackbird hammocks for the win.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 10:25:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By optimator:
View Quote

Yep, I'm still mulling around the idea of getting a Blackbird.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 10:47:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By FunYun1983:
The ground is for suckers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0&feature=share
View Quote

Oh man! The Shug!!!! He's basically who got me started.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 10:49:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By optimator:
View Quote

I've been thinking about upgrading to a new hammock, what makes the WB hammocks better than the rest of the US made offerings?
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:41:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By OhioLongRange:
depends, how fond of you up bugs crawling on you while you sleep?

View Quote
if you don't mind go with a tarp Or a tube tent
if you do get a tent or a hammock
I usually only backpack in Arkansas during cold weather when the bugs and snakes are dead or hiding.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:45:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By ewmccraw:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ewmccraw:
Originally Posted By FunYun1983:
The ground is for suckers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0&feature=share

Hammocks are ok, but I have lower back problems and they tend to make me hurt.

Also, good luck with your hammock if you come backpacking with me...the nearest tree was about 40 miles away...

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 12:09:21 PM EST
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Hammocks are kinda out of the question cus here in some parts of Oklahoma trees can be hard to come by.

I already have a USGI Sleep sytem with the gore text bivy so that helps with the water proof factor. Just looking for something else to add to it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 12:11:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gooseboy:
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Hammocks are kinda out of the question cus here in some parts of Oklahoma trees can be hard to come by.

I already have a USGI Sleep sytem with the gore text bivy so that helps with the water proof factor. Just looking for something else to add to it.
View Quote

The Lawson Blue Ridge I posted the pic of also works as a ground tent.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 12:12:55 PM EST
I've found the REI line is pretty good value for the money. They will probably be a bit north of a hundred bucks, but not too far for an entry level model.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 12:13:55 PM EST
Don't forget to check your local Craigslist. Someone is usually trying to offload that impulse
buy that has been collecting dust in their garage for pennies on the dollar.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 12:14:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By NorCal_LEO:
I have Big Agnes Emerald Mountain sl3 that I love, but BAs are not cheap.

Have you looked into blemish/repaired/second tents?
View Quote

Is there a good marketplace for those other than ebay or craigslist?

I still have quite a few things to buy before im good to go so im trying to save money where i can.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 12:23:32 PM EST
This. I started out with one of these and they are great for a low budget tarp tent. Add a smaller ground tarp to keep your backside dry and you're good to go for most mild Arkansas weather.

This is pretty similar to the one I'm working with my old man on making. He's a whiz with a sewing machine.

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1240988437_12465.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mtnbkr5234:

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1240988437_12465.jpg

I use mine with a hammock. The datestamp is wrong on the pic, this was in September. 10x10 Etowah tarp in coyote, $55 shipped . Kept me dry in a torrential thunderstorm on that trip. The tag on the stuff sack in comes in says "made in the Deep South, USA
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top