Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 3:11:49 PM EDT
My kid has a Sony PS2 and his little friends come over to play because they have the old style Nintendo which sucks. Anyway, my son knows how to handle the disks but these damn neighbor kids get finger prints all over them and now have scratched one up so badly that it won't play. If it was just a $12 CD then I wouldn't be so pissed, but $50 a throw for these damn video games hurts to have to trash one. I have a DVD burner, is there any way to make back-up copies of PS2 games?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Not much you can do to messed up disks.Maybe buy a used copy?They arent as much.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
You can gave the discs buffed out at some Game shops.
there are some not so easy and illegal ways to back them
up, but its easier to take care of the disc.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
For a PS2 to play copied games you need a modchip.  I know if you hack an xbox you can just save games to the hard drive, don't know if you can do it with a PS2 though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Honestly? Buy something that doesnt use CD. Beyond that....
As stated, some game shops will buff. My local shop charges 3 bucks. Not a bad deal at all. You can buy buffers yourself, anywhere from 20 to 50 bucks depending what you get.
To back up the games is possible, but to play a copied game in a PS or PS2 you require a mod chip. Installation on the PS is fairly easy although requires a steady hand. Installation on the PS2 is much more difficult. The pin sizes that need soldered are MUCH smaller on the PS2, so soldering the mod chip in is much more difficult, but certainly not impossible.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
in order to play burnt games u need a mod chip installed in your system.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Like someone else said, burning is only going to work if you "mod-chip" the PS2.  This requires you to take apart the console and do a bit of soldering.  It really isn't too difficult, but make sure you solder correct parts.  You also have to purchase the mod-chip ($30ish?)

I left my PS2 alone and hacked the xbox and put a new harddrive in.  Pretty happy with the results.

Maybe just sit the kids down and tell them how to properly take care of the toys if they want to be able to play with them?  /shrug
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The buffers that the game stores have do an amazing job of repairing scratched disks. The wet machine I saw made a severely scratched disk look brand new.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Agreed.  This is BS.  DVD's and the modern video game consoles are awesome, but they simply cannot standup to kids.

I have seriously thought about buying one of these.  It's a bit pricey, but I've read great reviews.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Agreed.  This is BS.  DVD's and the modern video game consoles are awesome, but they simply cannot standup to kids.

I have seriously thought about buying one of these.  It's a bit pricey, but I've read great reviews.

Thats expensive
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top