Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 3:45:19 AM EDT
I have seen people posting how registering guns is a very bad idea.  I totally agree.  

Aren't guns already registered though?  Every gun I have bought I had to have a FBI background check and the serial number was taken down by the dealer.  The gun can be traced back to me by the serial number right?  So how is this any different than having to register the gun with the local police department or whoever?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:47:14 AM EDT
[#1]
tag for info
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:48:36 AM EDT
[#2]
supposidly the gun store info isn't permanent.
Gun registration is
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:12:32 AM EDT
[#3]
guns can only be forward traced from mfgr to wholesaler to ffl dealer to original buyer.  Once a gun goes through a private sale or is stolen the paper trail is lost (that's a good reason to buy guns through legal private sales ).  The data ends with the FFL holder who's presumably isn't in law enforcement.

A gun registered with the police or local or state govt doesn't depend on a paper trail.  The data is right there ready to distribute to your local JBT and serve a 3am no knock warrant or a Waco type raid.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#4]
plus if the gunshop closes ALL of those 4473's go STRAIGHT to the ATF, and if you buy MORE than one handgun in a transaction the dealer fills out an ADDITIONAL form w/ ALL your info as well as the guns you just bough and it gets sent STRAIGHT to the ATF

But dont worry there is NO registration and tha ATF is our friend
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top