Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 9:39:08 AM EDT
Was working in the yard and pulled my back real bad. Went to work the next day and started having muscle spasms and had to leave.Next morning I can barely get out of bed. Sharp pains and spasms real bad in my lower left side of my back.

Doctor takes X-rays and says I have no spinal injury but my muscles are so tight its straightening my lumbar.Its been a week and although Im not having uncontrollable spasms I still have sharp pains just trying to walk.

Anyone have an Injury similar to this? How long does it usually take to heal?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I would get a second opinion, and maybe an MRI ,  I had the same thing and it turned out that it wasn't a sprain but a herniated disk and it took months to heal .
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I would get a second opinion, and maybe an MRI ,  I had the same thing and it turned out that it wasn't a sprain but a herniated disk and it took months to heal .

Thats what my wife said. Ive been researching online what could be wrong and going to mention all the info to my doc tomorrow.

ETA

the pain seems to be mostly on my lower left side. could it still be spinal?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Been dealing with LBP for 7 yrs now

First time I had the Lumbosacral Sprain it took a few days to calm down, muscle relaxers, heat, ice and rest

Consider seeking a good masseuse and when your better focus on some serious core strengthening

Re-read your post, if you don't get relief in a few days and the pain is running down thru your buttocks and legs go get an MRI
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#4]
See a Chiropractor.

I am on pain meds for a back injury in the Navy.
But the only real relief I get is from a Chiropractor
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Was working in the yard and pulled my back real bad. Went to work the next day and started having muscle spasms and had to leave.Next morning I can barely get out of bed. Sharp pains and spasms real bad in my lower left side of my back.

Doctor takes X-rays and says I have no spinal injury but my muscles are so tight its straightening my lumbar.Its been a week and although Im not having uncontrollable spasms I still have sharp pains just trying to walk.

Anyone have an Injury similar to this? How long does it usually take to heal?

I threw my back out last night too. Could not move to save my life this morning. Got up and got 2 shots in the ass and some Vikes. Now im just stretching it out and putting heat on it. But get it checked out im due for an MRI shortly. It's not worth later problems in life.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had chronic back strain (and a back disk problem) for over 2 decades.  I use to lay in bed and put heat on it.  It would take a week or more to get better.  it was probably the worst thing i could have done.

If my back goes out now, I just stay active.  I walk and move around.  I get over it much sooner.

What works for you depends upon a number of variables eg. age, degree of strain etc.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I get lower back spasms.

I get on a heating pad, turn it on high.

I've been told, 15 minutes on heat, then 15 minutes on ice but for me the heating pad reduces my down time to just a couple of days.   Before I started using it, I was like you, everytime back would go out, I was down for a week or more.  Try doing some stretches, I know it hurts like hell, but you aren't gonna get better until those muscles get unlocked and loose
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]
bnz42 and turboscott are both right to a degree.  It usually works, except when it doesn't, and you've got to guess right.

Just for the record:

Dibs on your stuff.

If you've got kids, I'll watch it for 'em til they turn 18.

No guarantee the ammo won't go bad by then, though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top