Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 4:37:17 PM EDT
After being out for over 21 years, I just joined the Illinois National Guard.
Got out of the USAF in 1984. Raised my right hand and swore in on Thursday.
Going to be a 25L at Camp Lincoln in Springfield.
Tried to tell my 18 year old son that it is what he needed, and ended up talking myself into it.
Had a teacher say quote someone famous once in high school "All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing". Are you a good man?

SO SUPPORT THE TROOPS, BECOME ONE!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
After being out for over 21 years, I just joined the Illinois National Guard.
Got out of the USAF in 1984. Raised my right hand and swore in on Thursday.
Going to be a 25L at Camp Lincoln in Springfield.
Tried to tell my 18 year old son that it is what he needed, and ended up talking myself into it.
Had a teacher say quote someone famous once in high school "All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing". Are you a good man?

SO SUPPORT THE TROOPS, BECOME ONE!!!

Good on ya brother & welcome back

after I originally went in 21 years ago and went back in 5 months ago (There IS a place for old guys afterall),  my 2 of my sons have joined up with a 3rd one looking at joining up in 07. One is home right now on Christma Exodus from FLW.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]
SUCKER!!

Seriously, welcome back.

I got out once, and talked myself into reenlisting, too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:26:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations.  I salute you.

I retired from the USAF in 1999.  Last year I tried to join the National Guard but they couldn't take me.

Something about the law preventing you from racking up more retirement points after you're drawing a pension.

I envy you.  Have fun and make a difference.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Brass balls, sir.  Out-fucking-standing!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
How old are you anyway?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How old are you anyway?

He helped the Wright Brothers fix their landing gear.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How old are you anyway?

He helped the Wright Brothers fix their landing gear.

He was in when they still had the M-1 musket.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I am 42 this February.

And a musket must be one of those newfangled portable rock throwers, right?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am 42 this February.

And a musket must be one of those newfangled portable rock throwers, right?[/quot

What is the age limit now for people going back in to the NG?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Welcome back.

Max
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Not for sure, as I had to get an age waiver, but call a local recruiter and ask.

Reserve and National Guard sometimes have different rules than Active duty,
so try both.

GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#13]
The AF was called the Army Air Corps when he was in.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Welcome back to wearing green....well, grey and foilage green :-P
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Congradulations. Welcome back.

Went in the Guard two years ago, left active duty in 88, I'm 40. Signed back up with my old Ranger Buddy, he was 42. Both have been over and it was great. As he told his son, everything we did in the old days in peacetime doesn't count if we don't show up when our Country needs us. My other buddy is 39 and he also reenlisted and just finished his year in Iraq with the Guard. There are LOTS of us old guys coimg out of the woodwork. I signed up a 50yo last year.

My workmates grandfather fought in WWI and went back in 1942 at over 50yo for WWII and fought North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Southern France.

Thoughout history there are lots of stories about the old warriors getting in shape, working the rust off the armor and weapons and taking the field of battle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:28:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a nine years break in service between reserve tours. Went back in after 9/11
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Went for my first drill weekend. Not too bad. Great bunch of guys.

I ship out to Fort Knox on the 18th of January, for WTC Warrior Transition Course, a course one month long for prior service AF and Navy and Army that have been out for awhile.

Get to relearn all that I have forgotten and never learned in the first place.

I will be one of the oldest, I am sure, but will give it my all.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Ft. Knox in winter, nice!  Been there....  Hopefully they take it slow and ease you all back in.  I recall back in 1986 we had prior service guys (afew rather older ones too) dropped into training with us.  I thought a few were going to die but the tough old buzzards hung in there and completed the course (more than I can say for some of the young studs!).
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Leaving for Fort Knox Warrior Transition Course in 10 minutes, will let you know how it was when I get back at the end of February. Wish this old man good luck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#21]
i just received a v.a. update. new enlistment age for  us army is 42
with a enlistment bonus 10- 20 k

man i want it but my wife really would kill me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Got back from Warrior Transition Course on March 11th. Not easy for old guys, but as long as you don't quit, you will make it.

They are moving the course to Arizona soon, so there will only be a few more at Fort Knox.

I lost over 50 lbs between Thanksgiving and now. Lost 30 before leaving and 20 more while there.

I got back home just before Tornado's hit my town, and went right back to work cleaning up, as I work for AT&T. Will take my vacation later.

For those that are thinking about rejoining, DO IT before it is to late.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
man i want it but my wife really would kill me.

That's it in a nutshell.

I'd given some thought to going back in, and have been getting back in shape (I needed to anyway,
and decided to use the APFT as the standard to get to, at least), but I know DAMN well that that'd
NEVER fly in the Tanker household.

I told Mrs. Tanker the other day that I'd had a dream where I'd gone and reupped, and in a nutshell,
she told me that I'd probably never survive to make my shipping date! Even if she didn't pull
a Lorena Bobbit on my ass one night, I know I'd end up divorced over it. (And with what she
makes, she couldn't afford the mortgage, so they'd be screwed all the way around.....)

Plus, the idea of going back in as a no-rank after being an NCO doesn't exactly appeal to me either.....

So I guess I'll end up sticking with working the HomeFront, fighting fires and patching people up on
this end......
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#25]
I read yall,  I re enlisted about 3 weeks ago into the va. national guard.
I'm 40 and was last in in '93.
proudly in the newly formed 183rd armored cav scout unit, dismounted recon company,. sniper platoon in va. beach.

I'm likely gonna have to go through the warrior transition course.

Here's to the older guys. Congrats and good fortune in yalls re enlistments.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Plus, the idea of going back in as a no-rank after being an NCO doesn't exactly appeal to me either.....

I was a coporal before, I had to re enlist as an e3, but that's not so bad, God willing I should make rank quickly after some schools.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#27]
If I'm correct if you're prior service you can re enlist into the national guard up to 45.
And not certain but they were talking about moving the age to enlist for the 1st time to 42 for any branch that desrired it, with the army being the only branch that has considered it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Welcome back... You beat me and I thought that I was out for a long time with almost 10 years broken service. I went back in in 2002 aftger being out almoct 10 years. Deployed to the gulf shortly after re-upping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top