Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 1:02:17 AM EDT

Hey, you "anti-war" pricks!  Tell me again why we should have left Saddam in power?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3738368.stm

Babies found in Iraqi mass grave

A mass grave being excavated in a north Iraqi village has yielded evidence that Iraqi forces executed women and children under Saddam Hussein.

US-led investigators have located nine trenches in Hatra containing hundreds of bodies believed to be Kurds killed during the repression of the 1980s.

The skeletons of unborn babies and toddlers clutching toys are being unearthed, the investigators said.

They are seeking evidence to try Saddam Hussein for crimes against humanity.

It is believed to be the first time investigators working for the Iraqi Special Tribunal (IST) have conducted a full scientific exhumation of a mass grave.

"It is my personal opinion that this is a killing field," Greg Kehoe, an American working with the IST, told reporters in Hatra, south of the city of Mosul.

"Someone used this field on significant occasions over time to take bodies up there, and to take people up there and execute them."

Tiny bones

The victims are believed to be Kurds killed in 1987-88, their bodies bulldozed into the graves after being summarily shot dead.

One trench contains only women and children while another contains only men.

The body of one woman was found still clutching a baby. The infant had been shot in the back of the head and the woman in the face.

"The youngest foetus we have was 18 to 20 foetal weeks," said US investigating anthropologist P Willey.

"Tiny bones, femurs - thighbones the size of a matchstick."

Mr Kehoe investigated mass graves in the Balkans for five years but those burials mainly involved men of fighting age and the Iraqi finds were quite different, he said.

"I've been doing grave sites for a long time, but I've never seen anything like this, women and children executed for no apparent reason," he said.

Long search

Mr Kehoe said that work to uncover graves around Iraq, where about 300,000 people are thought to have been killed during Saddam Hussein's regime, was slow as experienced European investigators were not taking part.

The Europeans, he said, were staying away as the evidence might be used eventually to put Saddam Hussein to death.

"We're trying to meet international standards that have been accepted by courts throughout the world," he added.

"We're putting a package together on each body removed - pictures of bones, clothes, a forensic report."

Iraq's human rights ministry has reportedly identified 40 possible mass graves across the country.

The dig at Hatra, where a makeshift morgue has been erected, is due to be completed on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:04:06 AM EDT
[#1]
dupe....

sad shit though
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:54:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Won't change many liberal's minds - they're already Pro-killing babies.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:55:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:19:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:23:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Won't change many liberal's minds - they're already Pro-killing babies.

+1

+2

The sad thing is that they're too wrapped up in their absolute hatred of anything remotely moral to realize it...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:33:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeh, I dont suppose that "Hernia" could have been caused by Bubba Al Yousef in Jail could it?

Damn.

Here's a question though, and bear in mind I just want to play devil's advocate here, if we moved in to get rid of Saddam (hoorah) not because of WMD, but because he's an evil dictator, etc, why are we not kicking over a variety of Small african tinpot dictatorships, that nice Mr Mugabe looks like he's going to starve a good chunk of his population on purpose to get rid of dissent.

What about him, and all the other torturers and despots.

/PHil
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:37:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yeh, I dont suppose that "Hernia" could have been caused by Bubba Al Yousef in Jail could it?

Damn.

Here's a question though, and bear in mind I just want to play devil's advocate here, if we moved in to get rid of Saddam (hoorah) not because of WMD, but because he's an evil dictator, etc, why are we not kicking over a variety of Small african tinpot dictatorships, that nice Mr Mugabe looks like he's going to starve a good chunk of his population on purpose to get rid of dissent.

/PHil

They don't sit astride the trade routes for 90% of the world's energy.

It's always been about oil. The difference is that liberals think the oil means just money, whereas the oil means our very survival.

They seem to miss that little detail, because they'd be thrilled as punch if the country went down the shitter.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:37:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Damn.

/PHil

Give it time - they are next on our list.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:40:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Damn.

/PHil

Sorry Phil,

Can't touch Mugabe… he's Black, it would be politically incorrect… same way as the UN is looking the other way in Sudan… ah! Kofi (pay me my bribe) Annan… what a guy!

Andy
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:45:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:47:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn.

/PHil

They don't sit astride the trade routes for 90% of the world's energy.

It's always been about oil. The difference is that liberals think the oil means just money, whereas the oil means our very survival.

They seem to miss that little detail, because they'd be thrilled as punch if the country went down the shitter.

And when it did go stright to s***,they would blame conservatives and try to ban muzzleloaders cause they are the terrorists favorite weapon to blow up hummers with.They would probably advertise the muzzle loaders being full auto or something.....
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:56:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
yeah...and yesterday they operated on saddam to improve his health.

I've heard spaying CAN improve the health...  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:06:42 AM EDT
[#14]
dupe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top