Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2013 8:38:08 PM EDT
B-52 gets new Sniper pod

by Staff Sgt. Jason McCasland
2nd Bomb Wing Public Affairs

3/22/2013

BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. (AFNS) -- The 2nd Bomb Wing made its first live run with a new addition to the aging bomber.

With constant upgrades bringing the more than 60-year-old bomber into the 21st century, the addition of the Sniper pod gives the B-52H Stratofortress better integration with ground forces and laser-guided bombs for precision strike capability.

"This flight was the first time that the 2nd BW has used the Sniper pod with live ordinance like the LGB," said Capt. Ryan Allen, a 20th Bomb Squadron radar navigation instructor.
"This pod gives a faster response time to our targets.
What would normally take me 30 to 40 button presses in five minutes, now only takes me a few seconds to actually target and drop munitions."

This new capability also allows the aircrew to coordinate with ground forces in a new way that is beneficial to their safety and planning.

"With the pod we can integrate with the guys on the ground and let them see what we see.
This way we are on the same page," Allen said.
"It also gives us a greater visibility range over that of the previous one."

With technology constantly moving forward this new pod gives its own set of challenges to the B-52.

"The way the pod can interact with our avionics system is state-of-the-art," Allen said.
"Most of the systems had to be radically improved to give us total interaction between the new and old."

With constant improvements on the aging plane, the 2nd Bomb Wing continues its mission of providing global deterrence -- anywhere and anytime.

A Sniper pod sits under the wing of a B-52H Stratofortress March 19, 2013, on Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
The new Sniper pod has been integrated into the B-52 and gives aircrew increased targeting accuracy and radar capabilities.
(U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Jason McCasland)

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/2013/03/130319-F-IC265-071.jpg
Large image

More info:
Lockheed Martin Sniper XR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_Sniper_XR
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I always thought that it would just be better to carpet bomb North Korea why did we spend money on this?
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
so what is that, another1/4 mile of wiring?
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I predict that it won't be too long before the cockpits of the B-52 are modernized to state of the art glass cockpits.

We're certainly getting our money's worth out of these 60 year old airframes.

Do they get to draw social security when they get old enough?  Just a few years from now.
Hard to believe, the basic design was drawn up by two Boeing engineers over a weekend in a hotel room.  

These days, it seems like it takes 10 years to design a paper airplane, much less build one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I predict that it won't be too long before the cockpits of the B-52 are modernized to state of the art glass cockpits.

Snip

I've worked on this thing for 8 years now as an electrician and I can confidently say it ain't happening. Depot hasn't even started our rewire phases.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:36:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I was working G-models in the 80's when we had the OAS mod installed.  Damn I feel old!
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Snip

I've worked on this thing for 8 years now as an electrician and I can confidently say it ain't happening. Depot hasn't even started our rewire phases.

Well, you know somebody at Boeing is trying to figure out a way to propose it and somebody else is working on the engineering.

I think that eventually, they'll have to modernize the cockpit if for no OTHER reason than for a lack of ability to support obsolete equipment.

Eventually the supply of vacuum tubes will run out.

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Capt. Ryan Allen, :
"The way the pod can interact with our avionics system is state-of-the-art," Allen said.
"Most of the systems had to be radically improved to give us total interaction between the new and old."

First, the only way that damn pod interacts with our "Avionics Systems" is by doing so on its own. It operates via a standalone controller that has been half-assed into a hole where a MFCD used to sit in the RNAV station. The only "interaction" between the antiquated OAS system and the new systems is via a 1553 databus that pulls GPS data/ INU data. Thats it. The pilots still have no idea WTF the RNAV is looking at when they flip the consent switch (Unless he has the FMT 5 switch flipped and is low enough to pick up whatever they're about to drop concrete on via FLIR or STV).

Second, way to waste more money we don't have USAF.... We already have parts sources/contacts for our current pods. OHH WHAT, WE have pods (AAQ-28 - Look it up) currently installed, Capt Allen?! No Way.  Cool Story Bro. We've had them for almost 4 years now and now it looks like the AF is spending money on (we don't have) to buy shit (we don't need) to fix things that aren't broke.

http://en.valka.cz/attachments/1945/litening_at_2.JPG

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Snip

Well, you know somebody at Boeing is trying to figure out a way to propose it and somebody else is working on the engineering.

I think that eventually, they'll have to modernize the cockpit if for no OTHER reason than for a lack of ability to support obsolete equipment.

Eventually the supply of vacuum tubes will run out.

Our primary source of support for these turds is either me (AFREP) or the "Boneyard". Most of the companies that designed/built parts for this thing aren't even around anymore. You wouldn't believe how many times I call around for a part repair source and they're like "WTF?" "That hasn't been made since the 60's"

Hell the KC-135R's I worked have Block 40 glass cockpits and were purpose built to refuel this turd. They are the same age. It's proven that an age equivalent airframe can be retrofitted to be brought into the 21st century. It'll never happen though. Too much money for not enough return so its just another pipe dream for us maintainers...Just like re-engining these things to make them quieter and more efficient...
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#11]
So the sniper has to lie there for the whole flight? What does he get to shoot at?

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Do they get to draw social security when they get old enough?  Just a few years from now.
Hard to believe, the basic design was drawn up by two Boeing engineers over a weekend in a hotel room.  

These days, it seems like it takes 10 years to design a paper airplane, much less build one.

Uh just because it's old and works, doesn't mean it's a good option for today.

I mean the M2 .50 BMG works, but there are better options out there, or should be.

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#13]
That's badass
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#14]
game changer.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#15]
From the little I've been able to find, the LITENING Pod actually sounds more capable.

Of course Lock-Mart makes SNIPER...  
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I actually thought they made a pod where a sniper could lay and take shots. I was about to call BS.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I actually thought they made a pod where a sniper could lay and take shots. I was about to call BS.

This.

I was hoping for some good hog killin' videos.

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I mean the M2 .50 BMG works, but there are better options out there, or should be.

You shut your whore mouth.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think they are projected to be used until the design is 90-100 years old
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I can't speak of what the B-52 can do with each pod, IE aircraft internal avionics.

The Sniper pod was supposed to replace the LITENING pod as the LITENING pod is getting old and it's becoming a problem to maintain.

Northrop Grumman's LITENING pod lost out to the Lockheed Martin Sniper pod back in the early 00's.

The USAF had planned to make the Sniper Pod the pod of choice, for some reason in 2010 the USAF split the Advanced Targeting Pod – Sensor Enhancement (ATP-SE) contract between the Sniper and the LITENING with the Sniper getting 60% of the contract.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Am I the only one who was hoping to see a dude with a .50 laid out in that pod with a ghillie suit on?
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can't speak of what the B-52 can do with each pod, IE aircraft internal avionics.

The Sniper pod was supposed to replace the LITENING pod as the LITENING pod is getting old and it's becoming a problem to maintain.

Northrop Grumman's LITENING pod lost out to the Lockheed Martin Sniper pod back in the early 00's.

The USAF had planned to make the Sniper Pod the pod of choice, for some reason in 2010 the USAF split the Advanced Targeting Pod – Sensor Enhancement (ATP-SE) contract between the Sniper and the LITENING with the Sniper getting 60% of the contract.

From what I've been able to find it sounds like the USN/USMC is sticking with LITENING.

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#23]
With the way things are going, This is going to be Litening/Sniper V2.0 LOL
http://hotterthanapileofcurry.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/military-intelligence-motivational-poster.jpg?w=500&h=432
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
game changer.

But has it Eva been done befo'?

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The USMC has looked into replacing the M2 a half dozen times. It all boils down to "significant improvement" there is no significant improvement out there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So the sniper has to lie there for the whole flight? What does he get to shoot at?

Hang some ball turret gunner's under each side of the wing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top