Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2008 9:07:06 AM EDT
I took pics too.

It landed over in Ames, Iowa but overflew my town before doing so.  The sound of those four radial engines is awe inspiring.  If you're in central Iowa, check it out!

I can't go, I have to work but this isn't the first B-17 I've seen or been in.  My dad is going and he took my camera (so no pics right now).

Pics later tonight!

Edit: holy crap, it's going to be in Ames from today, the 18th through to Monday the 21st.  Sweet!
www.flyincalendar.com/event_detail.cfm?e=7306
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I love them.

It's amazing the beating some of then took and still brought crews home.

Imagine seeing hundreds overhead for a Big Raid.  Hard to visualiz3e now with just a handful operational.

A couple nights ago I popped in "12 O'Clock High" to review the Frank Savage School of Leadership.  At the beginning a B-17 bellies in.  This was not a model, and long before CGI was dreamed of.  They crashed a real B-17 for that shot.  It almost makes you want to cry now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The same B-17 just left the town I work in, Beatrice NE, they were here for about a week.  We even serviced ther truck at our shop.  I believe for $425 you can go on a 20 min ride

Norris
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I love them.

It's amazing the beating some of then took and still brought crews home.

Imagine seeing hundreds overhead for a Big Raid.  Hard to visualiz3e now with just a handful operational.

A couple nights ago I popped in "12 O'Clock High" to review the Frank Savage School of Leadership.  At the beginning a B-17 bellies in.  This was not a model, and long before CGI was dreamed of.  They crashed a real B-17 for that shot.  It almost makes you want to cry now.

At the USAF Museum there's a picture of dozens in a field, waiting to be destroyed because we didn't want to bring them back to the states.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I was lucky enough to get a (free) ride in the Colling's Foundation's "Nine-O-Nine".

A ride I'll never forget...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

At the USAF Museum there's a picture of dozens in a field, waiting to be destroyed because we didn't want to bring them back to the states.

Stephen Ambose wrote a book called The Wild Blue .  It's about the B-24 crews of the 15th AF.

One of the characters in the book is George McGovern, who was a pilot.  There is a story of McGovern and his wife going to a movie after he came home from the war.  In a short before the feature there was film of B-24s being scrapped.  One was an airplane McGovern flew.  He got pretty upset over it.

I read somewhere that after the war you could buy a P-51 for $500.  Talk about return on investment today.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#6]
That would be the "Sentimental Journey" you saw.

I took a flight in EAA's "Aluminum Overcast" here in Sarasota several years ago.

Thrilling doesn't come close to describing the experience  

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I toured it here a few months ago - after it buzzed my house! I didn't realize Sentimental Journey as actually based just a few miles from here.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#8]
The noise from those radial gas engines alone would have been deafening.

Artwork IMO Beautiful...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Same plane was just here a couple weeks ago, never could afford a ride on it
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I took pics too.

It landed over in Ames, Iowa but overflew my town before doing so.  The sound of those four radial engines is awe inspiring.  If you're in central Iowa, check it out!

I can't go, I have to work but this isn't the first B-17 I've seen or been in.  My dad is going and he took my camera (so no pics right now).

Pics later tonight!

Edit: holy crap, it's going to be in Ames from today, the 18th through to Monday the 21st.  Sweet!
www.flyincalendar.com/event_detail.cfm?e=7306

If you have 425.00 you can take a ride on it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been inside the Memphis Belle.  Its a lot smaller inside than you would think.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, always been my dream to ride in one of those...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've been inside the Memphis Belle.  Its a lot smaller inside than you would think.

No - you're just wider than you think.

Actually I was shocked at how cramped it is inside there, just getting INTO the plane was an exercise in contortionism. And that catwalk between the bombs was probably no wider than 6 inches.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#14]
just to think of the men that flew in those bombers...freezing temps ..50s blazzin..FW190s screaming right at ya...GD they make me proud
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#15]
THese things could take a beating. When I was a kid my dad got the Time Life WW II books. THey had a pic of one that the cockpit was shot to hell, completely open to the elements but made it back.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#16]
www.b17.org/tour/

It's gonna be here next week.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The noise from those radial gas engines alone would have been deafening.

My dad was a radioman on a B-25 flying over the Hump.  His hearing was always for shit for as long as I can remember... don't know if it was the WWII planes, or the years in interceptor squadrons in Germany after the War.

Just as a tidbit, he joined the Flying Tigers after high school.  He then transitioned to the Army Air Corps until they became the Air Force, and served until 1969.  I guess nearly 30 years around planes is gonna leave a mark
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Stephen Ambose wrote a book called The Wild Blue .  It's about the B-24 crews of the 15th AF.

One of the characters in the book is George McGovern, who was a pilot.  There is a story of McGovern and his wife going to a movie after he came home from the war.  In a short before the feature there was film of B-24s being scrapped.  One was an airplane McGovern flew.  He got pretty upset over it.

I just got finished reading that book. Good ending about the family in the farmhouse!

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#21]
They're probably headed fro Oshkosh, It starts next week.

www.airventure.org/
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
www.b17.org/tour/

Cool. Whenever they stop at Mt. Comfort, they end up flying over my house. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow, always been my dream to ride in the ball turrets of those...

Fixtit.

They couldn't pay me enough........

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
www.b17.org/tour/

Cool. Whenever they stop at Mt. Comfort, they end up flying over my house. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it.

Engineers are great at designing things for "other people" to use.

After watching the C-130 Credible Sport video I came to the opinion that when an engineer designs something he should go along on the test ride.

For those who don't know, it was an idea to mount JATO bottles backwards on the forward fuselage of a C-130 to make it stop super short.  The result was a broken, burning airplane.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Sentimental Journey is based a mile away.  I'm in the flight path.  

I didn't realize she was gone.  

Barbie III is there, also.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Pics!  I have more, just don't have time to post all of them tonight.

Oh, I want to take a ride soooooo bad.  I'm going to see it on Sunday.  It'll be the 4th time in a B-17!  

More tomorrow!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow, always been my dream to ride in the ball turrets of those...

Fixtit.

They couldn't pay me enough........

browningmgs.com/AirGunnery/Turrets/Ball/Section.jpg

And from what I understand the ball turret gunner had to climb in there before they take off, and can't get out till after they land. Tuff son of a bitches.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#28]
More:

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#29]
About ten years ago I was sitting on the dam of our little stock tank fishing after watching football on a Sunday afternoon. Off in the distance I hear the sound of a round motor aircraft. Coming straight at me is a lone B-17, flying low and slow.  They are low enough I get a wing waggle when I wave at them. I thought that was pretty cool.
About a minute after they pass I see six or seven more shapes trailing the B-17 and closing fast. It was part of the CAF's Tora group. That was one of the most surreal scenes I have ever seen. A slow moving B-17 being chased down by Japanese marked aircraft. unreal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's one of them when they were in Dallas.

My Grandfather was a bombardier in one kickin Hitlers ass. He became a member of The Bastard Club, they got this cause they flew with so much weight in bombs they couldn't load the gun positions. At least thats what I was told.

This is a famous pic taken from his plane.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#32]
B17 fly over at work Jan 29th, 2007.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Went and saw it today!

In one of the hangers.

Who's that in the nose?   ;)

Yep, my sister and I took a ride in it.     :D

Big smiles after.

Takeoff from the nose:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j4NPFpw4jM

My sister took a lot more pics and videos during the flight, so I'll get those up on the next few days.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Same plane was just here a couple weeks ago, never could afford a ride on it

The ride is tax deductible, if that helps. I got to ride in a B-24 on 4th of July, pretty cool experience.

Good to see these old vets still flying.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#35]
btt
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Who's that in the nose?   ;)
i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/B-17019.jpg

Yep, my sister and I took a ride in it.     :D
i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/B-17018.jpg

Big smiles after.
i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/B-17021.jpg

Takeoff from the nose:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j4NPFpw4jM

My sister took a lot more pics and videos during the flight, so I'll get those up on the next few days.
Cheers!

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#37]
btt

More pics and videos either tomorrow or in a few days.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Last of the pics.  Videos later, sis is having a hard time getting them up.

Lookin' like a tard, but a happy tard.

.50 goodness

Startup!

"Bandits, 8 o'clock high.  Take 'em out, left waist!"

Lookin' back towards the tail gear and tail gunner.

Takeoff was very loud, but it didn't hurt the ears.  A low rumble.  I was trying to tell sis something during take off and she still couldn't hear me when I was yelling.  On the ground when the engines were running the tarmac was vibrating under everyone's feet.  Awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top