Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2002 2:33:18 PM EDT
I'm in college now, but someday when I have some land I would like to build one. So how would I go about constructing it? I have a general idea but thought I'd ask the pros.

I know i could just go use the one at thunder ranch, but it would be sweet to have one in your own backyard!

all you [:K]'s can help too[shotgun]

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF is a Kill House?
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I must be in the dark here, but what the hell is a kill house?

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
A kill house is a representation of a "house" made of tires ar other bulletproof material in which one can practice room clearing.

C-mon, someone must know how?
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
is "kill house" the new P.C. for "slaughterhouse".......

as in steak & ham ?
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
raf,

Do you know what do they use, if anything, to fill the tires that make up the the walls of the house? I would want the walls to be a pretty good backstop, but i think that sand would leak out and concrete, well, concrete is just stupid!
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Also recommend checking out an established setup. This way if you drill mutliple entries you don't have team A firing on team B.

Been in a few killhouses but I never looked into the tires.

Another option is a single entry killhouse. Basically a large single 2x4 & plywood room. The actual backstop is natural land birms on 3 sides outside the kill house.

OBVIOUSLY nobody should be around the outside of the kill house as the rounds will travel right through the wall.

Targets should also be situated to the rear of the room. Basically this is functionally not much more than a open target range with a doorway skill level. But also not nearly as involved as a "contained" kill house.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]
join the BATF and you can use [b][i]ANY[/b][/i] house you want! [BD]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Do a google search of firearms range. There are several different sites that show how they were constructed.
Because you have to reliably capture the bullet, while minimizing splashback, it isn't all that simple. Then you have to contend with zoning requirements, DEP/DNR type organizations due to lead continimation, lead runoff capture/filteration, and on and on.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to try to take some pics of the killhouse my department has set up and post them for everyone's viewing pleasure.  Stand fast - it may be a couple of days!
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Basically a large single 2x4 & plywood room. The actual backstop is natural land birms on 3 sides outside the kill house.

View Quote

This works well with 2x4 frames with black plastic sheets stapled to them and bolted together to form the walls. The layout can be easily changed and the plastic replaced as needed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#15]
The tirehouses that I’ve seen had sand inside the tires.  Keep in mind that rounds can still get out the top.  

Obviously, these can be really dangerous environments for people who don’t know what they are doing!
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I cant wait to see those pics 300thMIBde. And as for "zoning requirements, DEP/DNR type organizations due to lead continimation, lead runoff capture/filteration" I say fvck it, I mean, if they can keep us from shooting on our land, they have won!

Of course, by the time i graduate college and can get this built, the sound of gunfire will probibly call for a dynamic entry by our friends at the BATF, but hey, they need their practice too![smoke]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
join the BATF and you can use [b][i]ANY[/b][/i] house you want! [BD]
View Quote

HAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically a large single 2x4 & plywood room. The actual backstop is natural land birms on 3 sides outside the kill house.

View Quote

This works well with 2x4 frames with black plastic sheets stapled to them and bolted together to form the walls. The layout can be easily changed and the plastic replaced as needed.
View Quote

This is the most common killhouse design I have worked with. KHs tend to need regular maintenance and the tire huts soon prove labor and material intensive.

The only time they are really used is for dynamic structures with multiple rooms and multiple entries by several teams.

The best setup I'd recommend if you would build your own is a very large single room 20x30 feet with 2 partitions to create a separate enclosure. You can then move the partitions in various combinations to alter the setup inside. Just keep in mind that those partitions will NOT stop a round.

And actually that is a good thing to remember because the drywall of most real dwellings won't stop one either.

In addition I'd recommend no roof, open air for several reasons including ventilation. If you must roof it, I'd stick with laid on plywood supported by 2x4s planks.

And I'd do the dirt birms encasing it about 10 feet away from the exterior walls and about a length and a half in height. In other words you will have a 10 foot wide walkway around the killhouse and if the walls ar 10 ft. high the birm should be 15 ft in height.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#19]
How about Simunitions?

Much cheaper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top